pen drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviramgopal

Broken In
Hi,
I have a 16gb Verbatim pendrive.I recently tried copying a 5gb folder but i got a an error saying the the destination drive is full but actually is empty.I even tried formatting the drive but the problem still persists.
How do i solve this problem?
Thanks in advance

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Perform a checkdisk on the pendrive

Right click > properties > tools > error checking. (check all options)

Upto what file/folder size can you copy on the drive ?

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
I tried the error checking process,but it didnt work.The message pops up immediately when it comes across the 5gb file(the folder contains a few 1mb files and a a 5gb file) and stops after 3gb on linux.I could successfully copy a 1gb file.
Should i defragment the drive?

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Whoa.. could post the screenshot or details of the message of why the error checking process didnt work ?

ravi_rtr

Never Mind
try disk management. right clik on "My Computer" icon and select "Manage" and select "Storage/Disk" and locate your pen drive and delete the partition first and then create a new partition in the free space, allotting default allocation size, it asks for formatting select file system you want and perform formatting. it may solve you problem.

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
You cannot delete a partition in a pendrive, whatever the size. It can just be formatted.

I'd say look for any hidden files/ folder on the pendrive (tools > folder options > view )

also while you're at it try using the pendrive on a different system and try copying some other files and fill the pendrive up..

if that doesnt work get it replaced. :)

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
I filled th pendrive with a few other files,and there was no problem.I filled even filled it with a 6gb folder.
And off topic:
I dont have the view hidden files option anymore. (tools-folder options->view hidden files):???:

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Uh oh.... you cant see the "folder options" at all ? You could very well have the virus "UJ_Brightantivir.vbs" thing on the pendrive. Seen it quite often here. It removes the folder options from the menu.

p.s Avast Home Edition is not able to clean it even if updated till date.

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
You are right.I can see a file UJbrightantvir.vbs through linux.
How do i remove the virus,I do have Avast!.i cant view any hidden files.Even on the local drives

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Ah :D good! this virus is quite pesky... creates a readme file with some nonsense in it and disables viewing hidden files and folders (even if you create a new user it immediately removes the option)

oh and yeah you might want to post the regedit here so as others who might have the problem could benefit :)

Last edited:
OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
Not only does this virus hide the folder options ,it also affect the safley remove hardware thing.

This is what i did
I ran regedit in Safe mode and deleted the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\autome.
Since i had the virus on my pendrive,I downloaded Turbo navigator and deleted the readme,autorun and the
UJ_Brightantivir.vbs.

But the folder options still wont be visible.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edit the registry to get the folder options back.
Go to Start, Run then type in regedit and click Ok.
Browse to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Find the NoFolderOptions key and change the vaule to 0
Restart your computer.
[/FONT]

Link:*www.onlinecomputertips.com/troubleshooting/folder_options.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom