Pen drive has become write protected

Cruzy

Journeyman
Hi all,
I have a San disk pen which by some reason,has become write protected.I've tried a few methods like the disk part method and the registry method.So can anyone here suggest me any alternate method to solve this dilemma of mine?
Thanks in advance.

Flash

Lost in speed
USB Write Protect 2.0 free download - Software reviews, downloads, news, free trials, freeware and full commercial software - Downloadcrew

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You may try all the options as suggested but sadly they all won't work. Yes, you heard it right. Replacement will be the only probably solution.

DK_WD

WD Official
It's a San disk cruzer 8GB pendrive which doesn't have a physical switch.

Hi [MENTION=296231]Cruzy[/MENTION],

Based on your post, it may be a hardware issue. I’d suggest you some basic troubleshooting steps that may help you to solve the issue.

Please follow the below steps:

1) Run Cmd as an administrator and select the external drive.

2) After selecting the external drive, type the command diskpart. After the command, the new Cmd tab will be open.

3) In the new tab, type the command list disk. After executing the command, you will get the all disk selection options that connected with the system.

Example:

Disk 0 online 980 etc etc.
Disk 1 online 480 etc etc.

4) Type the command select disk X. X name is based on the your external drive.

5) After selecting the disk, type the command Attributes. After the command, you will get the two options.

1. Volume 2. Disk

Please select the disk option.

6) After select the disk option, you will get the number of options to execute the command.

Example: Add, Assign, remove, clean delete and etc.

7) Select the Clean command to remove all the logical and data files.

After the clean command execute, your drive will be in RAW format. Go into Disk Management and in the bottom-right panel look for a ribbon which labelled as RAW and has no drive name. Right-click on that and format in exFAT option.

If the problem still persists, I'd suggest you proceed for the replacement.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom