PCIe 2 with PCIe 3

cforcloud

Right off the assembly line
I have a WX58BP Intel motherboard which has two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, and I already have a nVidia EVGA GTX 465 card.

Now since my 3D software is asking for more, I want to add another graphics card.

I am looking for options like nVidia ASUS GTX 570 or GTX 680, because I want to make use of the SLI bridge connector.

1. GTX 680 is a PCIe 3.0 card and heard this is backward compatible with PCIe 2.0 slot in my motherboard. Is this true?
2. If yes, I will chose GTX 680, but can I still use the SLI connector to connect this with my older GTX 465 card?

Thanks in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Yes.
2. No but you can use the GTX 465 as a physx card and use the GTX 680 as your primary video card without using the SLi connector of-course.

OP
C

cforcloud

Right off the assembly line
Great topgear!

Okay I choosing #1 ZOTAC GTX560 Ti AMP Edition

Can this be (SLi) connected with the older EVGA GTX 465, because I want them to mainly perform Blender-3D rendering, not gaming.

Also, though my motherboard supports SLi connectivity, it didn't come with a SLi connector (cable). Where can i get one?

Refer: NVIDIA SLI-Certified Power Supply List
*www.nvidia.in/content/EMEAI/PDF/sli_psu_components/PSU.pdf

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
no SLi won't work between GTX 560 Ti and GTX 465 - you need two cards from same series ie either 2x GTX 560 / 2x GTX 560 Ti or 2x GTX 465 and about the SLI connector - you may get one with the gfx card - check package contents of a specific model before buying.

Top Bottom