"PCI-e" = "PCI + AGP + mor speed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi
i wanna know that do PCI-e support PCI n AGP devices?
also is it mor powerful & fast than da abuv two?
Do u know abt any PCI-e based mid range mobo for AMD?
Help needed.

rohanbee

Padawan
As far as i know the Pci-express does not support any AGP device because agp is a different standard altogether. What i have read is that (this pertains to graphics cards specifically) while pci-express based cards can be installed with a bridge attached to them on an agp based mobo.

Pci-e x 16 is supposed to be twice the speed that of an agp 8x however no reviewer has been able to prove that pcie in anways is faster than the agp at the moment.

However technology pundits do predict that as technoogy progress we will get to see the true power of this new interface. So its a game of waiting and watching at the moment.

D

dinesh_singh

very true....at present agp and pcie dont have much diff in performance.
and you cant install pcie over an agp .....normally

and abnormally you can always do anything u wish too....
consider running a amd athlon xp 3200 barton on asus a8n sli mobo.may be it will work.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
dinesh_singh said:
very true....at present agp and pcie dont have much diff in performance.
and you cant install pcie over an agp .....normally

and abnormally you can always do anything u wish too....
consider running a amd athlon xp 3200 barton on asus a8n sli mobo.may be it will work.

Well man i asked that will agp work in a PCI-e slot?
n i mnt any PCI-e based mobo which fully compatible with AMD CPU's.
i wanted 2 know da mobo's n CPU's supported by them.
Also, will pci card work in a PCI-e slot?
Is PCI-e also faster than PCI?

CyCo

In the zone
see *www.tomshardware.com/index.html

agp and pci-e cards have different cuts so they definitely 100% CANT work in the same slot .. the site will show u the different snaps .. makin it easier for u to see y they DONT work together ..

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
I have an MSI RS 480 motherboard... supports AMD 64-bit 939 pin CPUs and 4 DDR 400 MHz memory slots and has 1 PCIe slot. It's about Rs 6,500 to 7,000 and is perhaps the best "cheap" alternative to have the option to add a PCIe graphics card later.

Raaabo

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Raaabo said:
I have an MSI RS 480 motherboard... supports AMD 64-bit 939 pin CPUs and 4 DDR 400 MHz memory slots and has 1 PCIe slot. It's about Rs 6,500 to 7,000 and is perhaps the best "cheap" alternative to have the option to add a PCIe graphics card later.

Raaabo

Can u tell me mor abt ur mobo.
How much was da total cost of ur rig?
Don't u know any mobo having 2 PCI-e slots.
Also, what da speed of ur PCI-e Bus.

mamba

In the zone
all the 3 , i.e. , pci , agp n pci-e have diff slots . so u cant mix n match the diff cards u have , coz they wont simply fit

pci-e 1x is faster than the normal pci slot , leave out the 16x 1z

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
mamba said:
all the 3 , i.e. , pci , agp n pci-e have diff slots . so u cant mix n match the diff cards u have , coz they wont simply fit

But i heard that PCI-e slots also support PCI cards. Isn't that true?

q3_abhi

Youngling
I think that isnt true.N AGP cards wont fit in PCI-e slot.Presently though there must be no difference between AGP n PCI-e,the future cards will be based on PCI-e. SO go for PCI-e if u wanna play future games

mamba

In the zone
The Incredible said:
mamba said:

But i heard that PCI-e slots also support PCI cards. Isn't that true?

where frm ?? :D

told u bout 1x being faster than pci . if u have seen what a 1x slot looks like , its bout 1/3rd to 1/4th the length of the pci slot . also the part of the card which slots in , in pci , therez a bump ( some of the array missing ) at the rear end , where as in pci-e , this ' bump ' is at the front . so no question of pci fitting in2 a pci-e slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom