PCI-e Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki87

Broken In
Is it recommendable to buy a PCI-Express based graphics solution for today's gaming needs? :?:
I have seen a lot of ads lately advertising 915 chipset based pcs with pci-e slots .In fact, Dell was offering a ATi RAdeon 9300 SE(PCI-E) graphics card with its desktops.
Also,are games like Doom 3 playable on these cards?
nVidia also has a PCI-e soln for graphics ,the GeForce PCX 5300

theraven

Technomancer
its good ... ofcourse it is
but the cards available right now .. dont make full use of it yet
and most are stil using the HSI bridge
its still nascent ..
so maybe by next year it'll take off .. and the higher end cards like 6800 and x800 will be available on it ..
the point is if u upgrade now ull have to revamp ur whole system to a p4 lga 775 system
and right now its kinda expensive ...
so wait till dec when proces of even the cards drop ..
or wait longer for amd's nforce4 mobos ...
this year .. i doubt if its a good buy

DKant

In the zone
Well the 6600 is out now. It's a native PCI-E card, and it performs much better than the 9800XT, and costs much less. Of coz it's not come 2 India yet.

And as regards the mobos and procy's...better wait for nF4.

G

gxsaurav

first of all the 915G chipset basd intel motherboard are very costly rie now,

second, going for a CPU less teh 3 GHz on this motherboard is useless, since it is prescott only so it will be very hot

third, PCI-E is not recomended over normal AGP8X solution for atleast 1 year to come, a simple P4 3 GHz Northwood with Intel 865GBF & an AGP 8X based card is better then anything, or even better go for AMD64

PCI-E doesn't gives any performance increse over AGP8X rite now, evne if it is GeForceFX 6600

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Loki87 said:
Is it recommendable to buy a PCI-Express based graphics solution for today's gaming needs? :?:
I have seen a lot of ads lately advertising 915 chipset based pcs with pci-e slots .In fact, Dell was offering a ATi RAdeon 9300 SE(PCI-E) graphics card with its desktops.

dude, dell is giving out the radeon x300se not 9300 se.....
the x300 is the low end pci-ex card frm radeon. but as everybody has said, wait a while b4 u run and buy chipsets and cards and stuff....
prices will tumble soon...

OP
L

Loki87

Broken In
Ok thanx 4 the tips guys......will wait for nForce 4 i guess.......plan to upgrade in the next 1-2 months anyway...one more question......pci-e will wvwntually become the standard rite?..jus like agp8x is rite now. :?:

G

gxsaurav

Loki87 said:
Ok thanx 4 the tips guys......will wait for nForce 4 i guess.......plan to upgrade in the next 1-2 months anyway...one more question......pci-e will wvwntually become the standard rite?..jus like agp8x is rite now. :?:

it will become, but will take about 1.5 years

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
yup it will become standard...u wont have an option as nvidia and ati r pushing pci-exi cant really say how long it will take though...maybe sometime next year??? and as u probably know, pci-ex isnt providing a real performance boost as of now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom