PC Wont Install Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

valtea

In the zone
One of my computer is using MSI (i didnt look at the Model) Motherboard and Athlon XP 1700 processor with 128 MB ram. 40GD Seagate Baracuda HDD.

It was running very fine with no errors (HDD, RAM, etc No system hang) in windows 98. Recently i wanted to upgrade into windows XP. I first did with Upgrade. But it failed just when the system reboots and the starting windows (in the XP installation) comes up.
I tried the New installation again. Failed at the same point.
i formated my C drive and tried to install it with a Win XP CD. it failed too.

I have formated and converted all my drive to NTFS (fearing that there may be virus.) and tried to do a new install with the XP CD. It still gives error. I converted it back and installed win98. It worked fine again.

The problem (system hangs) whenever i tried to install windows XP. Someone please help me.

[urgent]

expertno.1

Technomancer
the problem is your windwos xp cd.. check it if its working fine..coz due to dmaage sectors of the cd u will be unable to insatll xp ..as it happend wihth me(broken cd)

so see the cd is its right
and post it here

OP
V

valtea

In the zone
I didnt overclocked, and regarding the CD. it worked with other computer. And i tried installing from different HDD too. and i even put a clean installed XP (from another computer) to the compter and it can starts only in safe mode

abhishek_734

Broken In
CHECK YR BIOS,RESET EVERY SETTING TO IT DEFAULTS.IF YR BIOS IS VERY OLD,TRY UPDATING THE BIOS.REMOVE ANY PCI CARDS FROM MOTHERBOARD AND THEN TRY INSTALLING XP

aditya169

Journeyman
ok dude first check that u have proper cd no scratches on it . or it is orignal
then it should work
see even i installed win xp recently toooo me it also appered as hanged but i did nt restart i left the computer on that screen (when it seemed as hanged) for 20 min but guss after some it it started itself

so dude you too leave it alone it will take some time but definatly work if u hae the proper cd without any scratches

D

dinesh_singh

also check ur ram too with memtest86 coz this kind of setup errors occurs when data is loaded to a bad memory area.
check ur ram too.i dont think there is ny problem with cd or cd rom...coz if it was then u wuld be knowing about it.
so check ram.

Tech&ME

Banned
Ok I will suggest you to first install windows 98 SE on your computer , which runs smoothly on your PC.

After the installation of Windows 98 is done.

Take the Windows XP CD and insert it in the CD-Rom drive. Let the CD Run Automatically. U will be presented with a menu like screen with three options:

"Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP

What do you want to do?

Install Windows XP

Perform additional tasks

Check system compatibility

You should select the last option "Check system compatibility"

Once you select this option, you will be asked to connect to the internet, just skip it and continue with the test.

Once the test is complete you will get a report informing you about the components that need a new driver, a BIOS update, and any other software issues.

If the test says that your computer is compatible with Windows XP., you must be able to install Window XP., otherwise not.

So, please do as told above and let us know the result.

OP
V

valtea

In the zone
@tech&me i have tried that. It shows some compability issue with sound drive.

Sorry for my late reply. I will change my RAM and check it again.

Tech&ME

Banned
valtea said:
@tech&me i have tried that. It shows some compability issue with sound drive.

Sorry for my late reply. I will change my RAM and check it again.

What Sound Driver are you using with windows 98 ?

It seems there is a hardware conflit , check the device manager for your system for any issues. Since Microsoft Windows XP supports all types of legacy sound drivers , which are mostly from VIA, Intel , or RealTech, etc.
hence , I think there should not be any such issues.

And there is not link with the RAM and the sound driver so, replacing the RAM won't help either.

What u can do is uninstall all the sound driver that you have. I will suggest you to clean install windows 98 again and DON'T INSTALL ANY CHIPSET INSTALLATION UTILITIES OR ANY OTHER DRIVERS and then try upgrading your win 98 to Win XP. This should work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom