PC Upgrade

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hello Public,

So, recently my HD 6770 GPU died on me and i was hoping to get a replacement for it. But, the catch is that I am not in the mood for changing the entire setup, i.e. CPU, mobo etc. I just need a new graphics card, so that i can enjoy my weekends with some gaming, preferably PUBG, and other RPGs/FPS games. I understand that the config i have is pretty old, but it is working fine at the moment and i do not have the budget to upgrade it. So, this being said, what GPU should i opt for? The budget is ~15k INR.

Please let me know if I need to fill the template. Thank you.

My config:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
MSI G41M P33 Combo Motherboard
Antec VP450P PSU
Cooler Master Hyper series CPU cooler (Not sure of the exact model number)

quicky008

Technomancer
Try to get an used RX 570 4gb for 10-11k,these days you can find many of them on sale on sites like olx/quikr-after the recent collapse of the mining boom,many people who bought such gpus are selling them off really cheap in order to get rid of them as quick as they can.

Also as long as you buy an used gpu that's within warranty,you have nothing to worry about as if it malfunctions you can get it replaced easily from any of their authorized service centers.

However if you dont wish to go the used route,you can only get something like a gtx 1050ti within that budget.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ZOTAC GRAPHICS CARD PASCAL SERIES - GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 (ZT-P10510A-10L)

However your processor will be a bottleneck,meaning it will not be able to fully utilize the potential of this/similar card but even then its performance will be much better than your current 6770.If you do decide to upgrade in future then this card should be good for 1080p gaming for most games with decent settings.

If planning on buying used card then absolutely make sure to get it from a local seller in your city who is willing to let you play a game on it for 10-15 minutes plus get the original receipt.Prefer asus & zotac cards(whether used or new especially for nvidia).

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hello Public,

So, recently my HD 6770 GPU died on me and i was hoping to get a replacement for it. But, the catch is that I am not in the mood for changing the entire setup, i.e. CPU, mobo etc. I just need a new graphics card, so that i can enjoy my weekends with some gaming, preferably PUBG, and other RPGs/FPS games. I understand that the config i have is pretty old, but it is working fine at the moment and i do not have the budget to upgrade it. So, this being said, what GPU should i opt for? The budget is ~15k INR.

Please let me know if I need to fill the template. Thank you.

My config:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
MSI G41M P33 Combo Motherboard
Antec VP450P PSU
Cooler Master Hyper series CPU cooler (Not sure of the exact model number)

You need another 4GB RAM and 1050Ti

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Hey everyone, thank you for your replies. I would prefer a new GPU over an old one any day, as i do not have any local stores (at least in my area) who can let me try out any old card.

The card suggested by whitestar_999 seems nice. I'll keep it in consideration for now.

Regarding Minion's idea for additional 4GB RAM, i do not think investing more in DDR2's is a nice idea anymore. However, my MOBO supports DDR3 RAM as well (see screenshot below). Should I get 2 4GB DDR3 sticks? If yes, which one?

Capture.PNG

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no point in getting ddr3 over ddr2 for a q8400 because it will not result in any performance increase.DDR3 support was added to core2 processors just to make them compatible & have no performance benefit.Also I am not sure if one can even run ddr2 & ddr3 simultaneously without any issues on these old mobos.

P.S. ddr3 is useless for future upgrades as well unlike 1050Ti.

quicky008

Technomancer
Ddr3 support is rather finicky on such older motherboards-many of the commonly available 1333/1600mhz modules don't work on these boards due to various compatibility issues.

So if you still go for Ddr3 memory then get it from somewhere which accepts returns in case the product in question doesn't work as expected.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hey everyone, thank you for your replies. I would prefer a new GPU over an old one any day, as i do not have any local stores (at least in my area) who can let me try out any old card.

The card suggested by whitestar_999 seems nice. I'll keep it in consideration for now.

Regarding Minion's idea for additional 4GB RAM, i do not think investing more in DDR2's is a nice idea anymore. However, my MOBO supports DDR3 RAM as well (see screenshot below). Should I get 2 4GB DDR3 sticks? If yes, which one?

View attachment 17763
4GB RAM will cause slow down

Try getting at least a 2GB more

2GB RAM + 1050 Ti will be within your budget
ASUS GRAPHICS CARD PASCAL SERIES - GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 PHOENIX EDITION
Transcend DDR2-800 DDR2 2 GB (Single Channel) PC (2 GBDDR2 2GB PC DRAM (JM800QLU-2G)) - Transcend : Flipkart.com

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
4GB RAM will cause slow down

Try getting at least a 2GB more

2GB RAM + 1050 Ti will be within your budget
ASUS GRAPHICS CARD PASCAL SERIES - GTX 1050 TI 4GB GDDR5 PHOENIX EDITION
Transcend DDR2-800 DDR2 2 GB (Single Channel) PC (2 GBDDR2 2GB PC DRAM (JM800QLU-2G)) - Transcend : Flipkart.com

Thanks everyone for the inputs. The idea of getting any extra RAM stick will cost me more than your assumption. The mobo has 2 RAM slots, and they currently house 2 2GB sticks. So, to increase the RAM, I'll have to buy 1 4GB stick at the least.

Well, i guess it's either: 1) One 4GB stick + GTX 1050TI 4GB, or 2) New CPU + Mobo + RAM + Graphic Card

I will think over these, and decide accordingly. Thank you guys :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are running quite an old pc config so a new system is completely justified.DDR4 ram prices have come down & are expected to come down a bit more in next 2-3 months.SSD prices are also coming down & will fall further in coming months.

Top Bottom