pc upgrade ? is it really necessary at this time ? if yes, pls help.

abhi615

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:hd movies, surfing, games like fifa13, rome total war series, dragon age 2, elder scrolls, i'v not been able to try third person shooting games off late bcos of my system's poor specs but would definitely like to try them out ( last i played was max payne)

also, should i really be upgrading at this moment or just add a decent gaphic card. current system is core2duo 2.0 GHz. , 2gb ddr2 ram and in display section it shows some sis mirage 3 graphics with chipset 671.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10-12k can be extended till 15k if really necessary. also after spending this much amount approx for how much time can i forget about changing it.
i asked a guy locally, and he advised to change cpu, ram , motherboard and graphics card..can also add dvd drive(as old one is not working)
also need a ups(which goes with the config you guys suggest) , can add the budget for it accordingly.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no idea how to do it, so wil stay away from it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:already have enough

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 19". recommended resolution is 1440 x 900

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:have already got mouse, keyboard, monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: july-august

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: no never built, wil be done by assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:locally, can go to nehru place. would avoid buying online as would need a assembler to do the job.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:1.i'm not much of computer techie, so will appreciate some explanation alongside your recommended specs.
2. wil they buy off my old cpu / ram / motherboard, or is it junk & in latter case how exactly should i dump the waste.

Last edited:
> Which core duo do you have (the model number)?

> Is youd current hard disk IDE or SATA?

> Assuming that you'll have to upgrade, you'll need to get a new cpu, motherboard, ram, psu, hard disk (if the current hard disk is IDE) and a GPU (this can be skipped for an APU).

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
first of all , thanks for such a quick reply.
> Which core duo do you have (the model number)?

intel core 2 duo E4400 2.0 GHz.

> Is youd current hard disk IDE or SATA?
most likely its sata only.

> Assuming that you'll have to upgrade, you'll need to get a new cpu, motherboard, ram, psu, hard disk (if the current hard disk is IDE) and a GPU (this can be skipped for an APU).
even a new psu? how much wil it cost? hard drivew we can skip for time being, as i think its most likely sata.

E4400 is quite a weak CPU AFAIK (let others confirm this). My suggestion:

A10 5800k (8200)
Asus F2A55 m lk plus (4700)
Corsair value Select 1600 MHz 4 GB (2200)
Antec VP450P (2600)

total: 17,700

With this, you can play all latest games at mid settings at 1024x768.

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
E4400 is quite a weak CPU AFAIK (let others confirm this). My suggestion:

A10 5800k (8200)
Asus F2A55 m lk plus (4700)
Corsair value Select 1600 MHz 4 GB (2200)
Antec VP450P (2600)

total: 17,700

With this, you can play all latest games at mid settings at 1024x768.

okay, wil wait for other replies as well.. and how future proof is this config?

i3 3220 (7000)
Gigabyte GS H61 M (3200)
Corsair Value Select 2 GB (1100)
WD 320 GB HDD (2200)
any zebronics cabinet with PSU (1100)
Any 16" monitor (4500)
Logitech MK200 (800)

total: 19,900

i came across another config you recommended on another thread. just curious if that can help me,of course after omitting the items i dont need and increasing ram and perhaps adding a graphics card.

Last edited:
okay, wil wait for other replies as well.. and how future proof is this config?

> It can run games for maybe 2 years or more. This thing cannot be guaranteed with any hardware. Its the best you can get for the budget. A10 5800k has a very powerful IGP.

i came across another config you recommended on another thread. just curious if that can help me,of course after omitting the items i dont need and increasing ram and perhaps adding a graphics card.

If you can extend your budget adequately to include a graphic card with that, then its even better than the a10 config.

Its good to see someone actually doing some research :)

TheLetterD

Will Power
Ok I think the C2D isnt THAT weak that it would Bottleneck a card, say upto an HD7750/HD7770.
The REAL bottleneck would be the 2 GB ram, most games require more nowadays, and the fact that youre running Windows 7 wont help. Unfortunately not only is DDR2 Ram rare to find, its also quite expensive. You will also have to upgrade your PSU, so I dont think it makes sense to let your Current Processor and Motherboard be. Upgrade those too, hand them over to a friend/family memeber or keep it as a backup machine.

As far as the new PC goes, Ive been using an AMD A10 5800K and Im quite happy with its performance, although if you wont be doing any CPU extensive tasks IMO an Intel Pentium Dual Core+HD7750 would be better.

And yeah, you can grab the A10 5800K for only 7500-7600 nowadays, esp cuz you will be buying in Nehru Place, Bargain hard :p or just keep an eye out for price drops on Flipkart.

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
> It can run games for maybe 2 years or more. This thing cannot be guaranteed with any hardware. Its the best you can get for the budget.

i know future proof is a very vague term to use and of course it cant be guaranteed but i just needed a rough time frame which you have provided as 2 yrs.

>If you can extend your budget adequately to include a graphic card with that, then its even better than the a10 config.

Its good to see someone actually doing some research :)
well, i ought to make efforts for what is primarily my headache. :)
how much will the intel config cost me. if its really a good value for money i can consider it as well.

Ok I think the C2D isnt THAT weak that it would Bottleneck a card, say upto an HD7750/HD7770.
The REAL bottleneck would be the 2 GB ram, most games require more nowadays, and the fact that youre running Windows 7 wont help. Unfortunately not only is DDR2 Ram rare to find, its also quite expensive. You will also have to upgrade your PSU, so I dont think it makes sense to let your Current Processor and Motherboard be. Upgrade those too, hand them over to a friend/family memeber or keep it as a backup machine.

As far as the new PC goes, Ive been using an AMD A10 5800K and Im quite happy with its performance, although if you wont be doing any CPU extensive tasks IMO an Intel Pentium Dual Core+HD7750 would be better.

And yeah, you can grab the A10 5800K for only 7500-7600 nowadays, esp cuz you will be buying in Nehru Place, Bargain hard :p or just keep an eye out for price drops on Flipkart.

thanks for replying but i would like to clarify a few points.
1. i'm ready to increase my ram to ddr3 4gb.
2. i dont think i'l be able to bargain good, so i'l end up at cost to cost or another similar shop ( i dont remember name) with nearly same prices.
3. is hd7750 a graphic card ? how much wil it cost? and will it be compatible with my current config?
4. are you suggesting me to upgrade the processor or asking me to get a dual core?? (btw is dual core and core 2duo same)

Last edited:

TheLetterD

Will Power
2. i dont think i'l be able to bargain good, so i'l end up at cost to cost or another similar shop ( i dont remember name) with nearly same prices.
3. is hd7750 a graphic card ? how much wil it cost? and will it be compatible with my current config?
4. are you suggesting me to upgrade the processor or asking me to get a dual core?? (btw is dual core and core 2duo same)

Ah, a noob huh? :) haha Okay so listen
1. I doubt your motherboard will support DDR3 RAM, whats the Model no.? (You can open the PC Case and read the model no. on it)
2. Dont worry, if youre buying from Nehru Place you will be able to get good price. No need to bargain just ask them directly the price of the processor, they are likely to give you the best price if you ask them directly instead of asking them how much will the WHOLE computer upgrade cost you.
3. Yes HD7750 is a graphic card! :) It costs around 6600!
Yes it will be Compatible! Just be sure to upgrade your PSU!
4. Yes, I would recommend you to upgrade your processor too!
The Pentium Dual Core 3rd Generation is a part of a newer series of Processors by Intel Called the "Ivy Bridge". It has a higher clock speed and better architecture making it faster than your Core 2 Duo! :)

Okay, BUT if your Motherboard DOES support DDR3 RAM, then yes, you could let your processor and motherboard be, and just upgrade the RAM, PSU, Harddisk and Graphics Card.

i know future proof is a very vague term to use and of course it cant be guaranteed but i just needed a rough time frame which you have provided as 2 yrs.

well, i ought to make efforts for what is primarily my headache. :)
how much will the intel config cost me. if its really a good value for money i can consider it as well.

Well, for the price of an Intel config, you can get Fx 6300 too which is even more powerful cpu.

Intel config:

i3 3220 (7000)
Gigabyte GA B75m dh3 (4000)
Corsair value Select 4 GB 1600 MHz RAM (2200)
Asus HD7770 (8000)
Antec VP450P (2600)

total: 23,800

AMD config:

FX 6300 (7200)
Gigabyte 970A DS3 (5500)
<rest things same>

total: 25,500

Both these configs are good, but FX 6300 is a 6 core processor and is more powerful.

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
Ah, a noob huh? :) haha Okay so listen
aint everyone a noob. it just depends on the topic and the knowledge of the person you are dealing with, on that very topic. :)

I doubt your motherboard will support DDR3 RAM, whats the Model no.? (You can open the PC Case and read the model no. on it)
ya, it wont support ddr3 ram. i asked the guy from whom i bought the desktop. i dont know the model no.

The Pentium Dual Core 3rd Generation is a part of a newer series of Processors by Intel Called the "Ivy Bridge". It has a higher clock speed and better architecture making it faster than your Core 2 Duo! :)

can you pls suggest the model no for this cpu and approx price.

Well, for the price of an Intel config, you can get Fx 6300 too which is even more powerful cpu.

Intel config:

i3 3220 (7000)
Asus HD7770 (8000)
Antec VP450P (2600)

AMD config:

FX 6300 (7200)
Gigabyte 970A DS3 (5500)
<rest things same>

Both these configs are good, but FX 6300 is a 6 core processor and is more powerful.

25k is lot. i have not thought of spending that much. is it really worth it? i might reconsider if its really worthwhile to spend 25k.

^ In that case, a10 5800k config is best for you. But one more thing- A10 5800k is well complemented with an 8 GB ram. So, what you can do is sell your current computer (?) to get some more money for an added 4 GB of RAM.

TheLetterD

Will Power
Intel Pentium Dual Core G2010 Rs. 3200
Gigabyte GA B75m dh3 Rs.4000
Corsair value Select 4 GB 1600 MHz RAM Rs.2200
Sapphire HD7750 Rs. 6500
Antec VP450P Rs.2600

Total: Rs. 18600
Hows this? :)

Nighthawk12

In the zone

Intel config:

i3 3220 (7000)
Asus HD7770 (8000)
Antec VP450P (2600)

AMD config:

FX 6300 (7200)
Gigabyte 970A DS3 (5500)
<rest things same>

The FX Config will be definitely future proof for 2 or more years. So yeh its worthwile to spend 25k.

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
thank you all those who could take out their precious time to reply to my query.

Intel Pentium Dual Core G2010 Rs. 3200
Gigabyte GA B75m dh3 Rs.4000
Corsair value Select 4 GB 1600 MHz RAM Rs.2200
Sapphire HD7750 Rs. 6500
Antec VP450P Rs.2600

Total: Rs. 18600
Hows this? :)

looks good , but to be honest i'v gone through a few threads and i'v hardly seen anyone suggest dual core G2010 ( of course it doesnt mean its not good).
also, would it suffice for next 2-3 years or i'll have to again dip into my pockets next year?
harshil suggested a very similar configuration but the processor was i3 i guess, which is 4k costlier.
is there much difference b/w dual core G2010 and i3 processor ?

The FX Config will be definitely future proof for 2 or more years. So yeh its worthwile to spend 25k.

well, i havent thought about spending 25k, but even if i decide to ( which at present is quite far off from my mind, as my initial budget was 12k) i'd like it to offer me some security wrt future, as in 2-3 yrs down the line wil it be possible for me to upgrade it without spending 20-25k again.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
For your requirement and budget, Pentium G2020/G2010 is the best processor if you are adding a discreate Graphics card like HD 7750 with it. Otherwise you have to increase your budget to get an i3 or AMD FX-6300 processors. However, since you are in tight budget and still wanna a future proof configuration then Pentium G2020 is not a good choice for gaming because right noew games are using 4 or more cores. What you can do is to get an AMD quad core APU which doe have a powerful integrated graphics and enable you to play games at mid setting at your current monitor. When you have money, add a good graphics card with it.
You already have an APU based suggestion but instead of going for A10-5800K, get the A8-6600K @ 8K (in Smcinternational.in). A8-6600K is based on newer design and performs same like a A10-5800K but consumes lesser amount of power. It is a 3.9 GHz quad Core Processor with 4 MB L2 Cache and has a DirectX 11 class HD 8570D GPU integrated.

OP
A

abhi615

Broken In
^ In that case, a10 5800k config is best for you. But one more thing- A10 5800k is well complemented with an 8 GB ram. So, what you can do is sell your current computer (?) to get some more money for an added 4 GB of RAM.
well, u mean to say selling old ram, cpu and mother board ? as i'm not changing my monitor, keyboard, mouse, HDD.
really 8gb ram? does it have issues with 4gb ram?

What you can do is to get an AMD quad core APU which doe have a powerful integrated graphics and enable you to play games at mid setting at your current monitor. When you have money, add a good graphics card with it.
You already have an APU based suggestion but instead of going for A10-5800K, get the A8-6600K @ 8K (in Smcinternational.in). A8-6600K is based on newer design and performs same like a A10-5800K but consumes lesser amount of power. It is a 3.9 GHz quad Core Processor with 4 MB L2 Cache and has a DirectX 11 class HD 8570D GPU integrated.
are there any cons of taking this APU based config?
does motherboard for the APU (i think A10-5800k & A8-6600k are AMD based only) differ from motherboards for other amd cpu's ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom