PC Upgrade for 3D modelling, Unreal Engine4 and Video Editing

So, basically if the CPU only supports 3200Mhz, you are suggesting that we can make the CPU use 3600Mhz while also running it at 3600Mhz speed and not downclocking it to 3200Mhz. Cause the Latter scenario will just be a waste if it doesn't work.
Not sure what you mean, but look for XMP in RAM. B460 doesn't support it for Intel, but B560 & Z series mobo does. If you buy a 3600MHz RAM, you have to set its XMP profile in BIOS.

This is definitely useful.
I also want to know what is the power supply requirement of a PC running i7 or R7 with a GPU or the likes of 1660 or 1650?
Is it 550w, 650w or 750w?
I'm guessing a 750w would be a good contender. If I use my age old GTX960 or a temp GT640 would I still need more than 400w?
*mdcomputers.in/smps?sort=p.price&order=ASC&bfilter=a400:5512;
For R7 3700X, 550W should suffice if paired with 1660S. R7 3700X takes up to 95W without OC & an i7 11700 can take like 140W w/o power limits. Also, PSUs are more efficient at around 60% load + people like to keep headroom for future upgrades.

The Corsair CV650 I suggested earlier will be more than sufficient, unless you get a 300W GPU in future like 3080 or its successor.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi @Gollum ! Just a heads up, if you are getting micro ATX board. What is your idea about CPU cooler? If you plan to get a separate cooler, make sure your RAM is short enough to accomodate CPU Cooler. Most of RGB RAMs are tall so a cooler like Noctua NH-D15 wont work (with 2 fans.).

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Hi @Gollum ! Just a heads up, if you are getting micro ATX board. What is your idea about CPU cooler? If you plan to get a separate cooler, make sure your RAM is short enough to accomodate CPU Cooler. Most of RGB RAMs are tall so a cooler like Noctua NH-D15 wont work (with 2 fans.).
Yes, I totally get what you are saying. I am not an RGB fan but I am totally a fan of Lights inside the case. But only if I get it within my budget. I'm gonna be looking at the screen and not the side panel of the PC :p

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
Not sure what you mean, but look for XMP in RAM. B460 doesn't support it for Intel, but B560 & Z series mobo does. If you buy a 3600MHz RAM, you have to set its XMP profile in BIOS.
I'm planning to ditch the Intel from the looks of motherboard options that I have. I was hoping to accelerate the mechanical HDD with the help of Optane and use Sata m.2 for boot. with the Intel Rig.
Since AMD platofrm does not support Optane I have to go for more value.
BTW, I have a cooler Master Hyper tx3 and a cooler master cooler master 103. Can I use any of these with R7 or are they too old.
103 seems to support LGA1200 but not AM4 socket for Ryzen.

Edit: Looks like tx3 evo supports Ryzen AM4
*www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-tx3-evo/#specifications

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I think the stock cooler would be better than CM Hyper TX3. Anyway, check the temps first and then decide to spend on decent CPU Cooler if you are having doubts about it now.

I'm planning to ditch the Intel from the looks of motherboard options that I have. I was hoping to accelerate the mechanical HDD with the help of Optane and use Sata m.2 for boot. with the Intel Rig.
Since AMD platofrm does not support Optane I have to go for more value.
BTW, I have a cooler Master Hyper tx3 and a cooler master cooler master 103. Can I use any of these with R7 or are they too old.
103 seems to support LGA1200 but not AM4 socket for Ryzen.

Edit: Looks like tx3 evo supports Ryzen AM4
*www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-tx3-evo/#specifications
You have to search & see if AM4 is supported or if you can buy bracket for AM4 support. If it supports, then good.

R7 3700X comes with Wraith Prism, which I found to be good enough. On load temps go beyond 90C, but 100% load of 3700X is rare. If your usage is pushing temps above say 85C consistently, consider getting a new cooler. IMO check with both the stock cooler & your TX3 evo to see which performs better.

For thermal paste: Kingpin kpx & Thermal grizzly kryonaut (750 for 1g) are 2 top thermal pastes, in case you want the best. For something cheaper, Noctua NT H1 costs 500 for 1g or you can buy Arctic MX4/MX5 for 800-900 for 4g. 1g should be fine for 2 applications on CPU.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
You have to search & see if AM4 is supported or if you can buy bracket for AM4 support. If it supports, then good.

R7 3700X comes with Wraith Prism, which I found to be good enough. On load temps go beyond 90C, but 100% load of 3700X is rare. If your usage is pushing temps above say 85C consistently, consider getting a new cooler. IMO check with both the stock cooler & your TX3 evo to see which performs better.

For thermal paste: Kingpin kpx & Thermal grizzly kryonaut (750 for 1g) are 2 top thermal pastes, in case you want the best. For something cheaper, Noctua NT H1 costs 500 for 1g or you can buy Arctic MX4/MX5 for 800-900 for 4g. 1g should be fine for 2 applications on CPU.
In my use case scenario, the usage of the CPU would only go high during Premier pro rendering and when I cook on Unrel Engine. Cooking does not take too long though.

In my use case scenario, the usage of the CPU would only go high during Premier pro rendering and when I cook on Unrel Engine. Cooking does not take too long though.
Just check with stock cooler & your cooler, use whichever ends up performing better. IMO for short rendering times stock cooler of R7 3700X should be ok.

Top Bottom