PC turns off itself when connecting a USB Modem

sunilkn006

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,

Whenever I connect USB Modem (Micromax MMX353W) to the front USB port of PC (USB which comes with the cabinet), my PC turns off, as though there were a power cut!

But, whenever I connect the USB modem to the USB port of the motherboard, there is no problem.

This Micromax USB Modem works fine with other PC's. I have tried connecting to many different PC's.

Tried to get help from the local PC shop, but they could not figure out what the problem was.

Steps I tried to troubleshoot -

1. Re-installation of the OS - Same problem
2. Replacing the USB board of the cabinet, still the same problem exists.
3. Changed the SMPS - Same problem
4. Tried connecting the USB Modem in the BIOS mode - Still turns off the PC.

This is brand new assembled PC - just a month old.

Also, I noticed few other problems -

Whenever I turn on the PC, there is a delay in Processor fan to turn on. Please check the video
[video]*drive.google.com/open?id=0B1MmK4mH4JkxRXdIWm5YZHdNMjA[/video].

I am totally confused what the problem might be.

Let me know if any one can figure out about these issues.

Specs -
Intel i3 4150 processor
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600MHz 4 GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Seagate HDD
LG DVD Writer
Mercury Cabinet *www.mercury-pc.com/images/pr_ca/xploreecab/iris_b.jpg
Mercury SMPS 450W (The one which came with the Cabinet)

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Immediately change your PSU.
If you have spare cash change your cabinet as well. You can go with Deepcool Tesseract BF @ 2.8k (amazon.in)

Go with Antec VP450P @ 2.5k (snapdeal.com)

slashragnarok

In the zone
Check if any other device plugged into the front USB turns off the PC. Although it sounds like a PSU issue, there could possibly be a short circuit on your mother board where the front USB header is connected.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
cheapo cabinets have bad quality usb ports. they might have been damaged or it is shorting, triggering a safety shutdown.

OP
S

sunilkn006

bssunilreddy: I tried using Cooler Master PSU of my other PC. But still turns off. Although, not sure about the processor's fan behaviour.

slashragnarok: have tried using different USB flash drives. These work fine. Problem is only with the Micromax dongle.
Also tried replacing the USB front panel board of the cabinet. Still same issue persists.

kARTechnology: probably might be. Will have to stop using cheap cabinets in future.

chimera201: yup. Sure. Tried other pin of the motherboard as well.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
[MENTION=105743]sunilkn006[/MENTION]
Checked that video... 2 of my new intel pc's(g620 &g3220) do that, I use gigabyte mobo.

OP
S

sunilkn006

[MENTION=105743]sunilkn006[/MENTION]
Checked that video... 2 of my new intel pc's(g620 &g3220) do that, I use gigabyte mobo.

Probably this is usual behavior of the Processor fan.

Guys,
I have one more issue now. If I connect the same USB modem to the Motherboard's USB port, my PC is turning off.
I tried using Cooler Master 450W SMPS. Still the same behavior.
What might be the issue? I am totally confused. :-?

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Weird. Maybe the Modem was going bad or something so it worked earlier on the back panel ports and other PCs. Try on other PCs again?

Top Bottom