PC shuts off abruptly during a power surge/loadshedding even with UPS

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
My Desktop PC system power offs, if there is a surge or fluctuation in electricity even for a millisecond.
Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Value
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 GT 1GB GDDR5
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
PSU: CoolerMaster THUNDER 550W
UPS: Champion(AAR-EM Electronics) 800 (UPS-800)

The main specs. as given above.
Also providing an image from Speccy:--->
upload_2019-5-23_9-23-46.png

Is the PSU culprit in this case?
What are your suggestions?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
psu or ups.Try with different psu/ups or if you have home inverter(set mode to ups,all recent inverter come with a switch to set mode to ups or inverter) then try with that instead of ups.If psu/ups is more than 3 years old then it is suggested to replace them(ups batteries deteriorate over time & your psu is also not good/bottom tier).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on your budget,cheapest & best budget option is Corsair CX450(~3.4k) or CX550(~4.2k) on mdcomputers. If willing to spend more then next best option is Antec Earthwatts gold pro 550W from mdcomputers(~5.8k but currently out of stock,make sure to check for 7 years warranty logo on box as older versions missing this logo are not recommended).

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
People how are Antec PSU's considered these days ? THe 350W is only @ Rs. 1750
I have the 300W for 5 years now, and had the same GPU as OP

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only their Antec Earthwatts gold pro series is recommended(cheapest model 550W costs ~5.9k) & it must be the latest version with 7 years warranty logo on box(missing this logo means older versions which are not worth buying). Nowadays the only budget psu recommended series is Corsair x5x(latest 2017 version grey/white label).

quicky008

Technomancer
Your ups seems to be a very run of the mill unit, it's recommended that you get an ups from a well known brand like Apc, to be on the safer side.

Last edited:
I think UPS is the culprit. Have a similar problem with my home PC which instead of completely shutting off, gets reset during fluctuation. I have a Zebronics 1kVa UPS which worked great for 6 months or so, then started causing issues. After a year, its battery life was diminished by a lot, it couldn't even power WiFi router for more than 15mins (with PC turned off). My parents were too busy or lazy to contact the shop from where they bought it, so the problem persists.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

I think UPS is the culprit. Have a similar problem with my home PC which instead of completely shutting off, gets reset during fluctuation. I have a Zebronics 1kVa UPS which worked great for 6 months or so, then started causing issues. After a year, its battery life was diminished by a lot, it couldn't even power WiFi router for more than 15mins (with PC turned off). My parents were too busy or lazy to contact the shop from where they bought it, so the problem persists.
Any recommendation?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Though some people are saying nowadays APC quality is not like earlier times,still for 600VA ups it is still good option.Only if one aims for ~1KVA ups where price difference between APC(~5.5k for 1.1KVA) & other decent brands(like luminous,microtek,zebronics,intex etc) is large,does it matter.

^^Though some people are saying nowadays APC quality is not like earlier times,still for 600VA ups it is still good option.Only if one aims for ~1KVA ups where price difference between APC(~5.5k for 1.1KVA) & other decent brands(like luminous,microtek,zebronics,intex etc) is large,does it matter.
600VA should be enough for most, not sure if APC's quality has gone down now. People I know don't have desktops usually, so not much idea.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

How was it when your UPS was new? Has this been happening from start or started happening now?
No ,Champion UPS served me great for the past 3 years and even now.
Problem started when I changed my Zotac NVIDIA GeForce 620 GPU(2GB DDR3) with a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 750GT GPU(1GB GDDR5) .
In case of Zotac it never happened,when there was a power fault. But it happens after I attached the Gigabyte card.

No ,Champion UPS served me great for the past 3 years and even now.
Problem started when I changed my Zotac NVIDIA GeForce 620 GPU(2GB DDR3) with a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce 750GT GPU(1GB GDDR5) .
In case of Zotac it never happened,when there was a power fault. But it happens after I attached the Gigabyte card.
Its battery is likely old & can't supply enough power for your system most likely. With age the max voltage that can be supplied by the battery reduces and capacity is reduced as well. Change battery if you want or better buy a new 1kVA UPS.

quicky008

Technomancer

The 600va apc ups that's widely available in the country is actually not that good and has poor voltage regulation - i bought it a few years ago, only to be disappointed by its lacklustre performance.

For long term durability, it's recommended that one gets a higher end model with increased load capacity and proper voltage regulation features.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But next higher one from APC is 1100VA model costing ~5.5k with nothing in-between.In that case only option seems to be getting a 800/1000VA model from one of the decent Indian companies like vguard/microtek/luminous etc.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

The Champion UPS I am using is a 800VA model.
HOME & OFFICE UPS | PRODUCTS | CHAMPION UPS

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is recommended to change the UPS after 2-3 years because the inbuilt battery usually deteriorates by this time.It is also more expensive to just replace the inbuilt battery instead of buying a new ups.

quicky008

Technomancer
Both the bx series models(600va and 1100va)should be avoided.One can instead go for this particular model:

*www.amazon.in/APC-BE700Y-IND-420-w...words=apc+ups&qid=1559721223&s=gateway&sr=8-8

A 800VA variant of this ups is also available.The reason i recommend using this ups over the BX series models is that the former actually have something called sensitivity adjustment feature,where one can configure the ups to provide optimum voltage regulation in accordance with the type of device he will be using-this is really important,especially for sensitive equipments such as computers that are particularly susceptible to damage due to abrupt changes(high/low)in input voltage.

However i'm not sure about the availability of these models-if they are not available at local shops,one can always order them online.I've been using the older variant of this model ie BE650Y-IN and it has served me really well for the last 10 years or so and is still going pretty strong.

Its disappointing that APC's quality is not the same today as it used to be all those years ago.

Top Bottom