PC powers on. No display, no lights, on mobo, keyboard and mouse. All fans spin.

I just bought a monitor yesterday. It's my first full HD display so I wanted to see how good my games looked. 5 minutes into farcry 3 my PC shut itself down. I tried to restart it mutiple times to no avail. After about 5 minutes I could switch it on but there was no display. So I switched to my onboard hdmi port but still there was no display. My CPU and graphics card fans were spinning but no lights on keyboard or mouse. So I did the following:

1) Took out the RAM, no beeps
2) Switched RAM slots and started with just 1 RAM stick. Still no display
3) Removed the graphics card to reduce power consumption. No display
4) started with just cpu, RAM, no HDD or DVD drive connected. Still nothing

When all are connected the HDD & DVD drive spins, cpu fan spin, graphics card fans spin but no lights on mobo, keyboard and mouse. The case fan doesn't spin, but when I switched connectors, it does but only on 1 out of 3 connectors (pins).

On a side note, when i was troubleshooting the pc yesterday I switched it on without connecting the power connectors of the graphics card meaning the card was drawing power directly from the board and it seemed like both its fans were spinning at full speed. This was a surprise because I thought 1 fan had died since it hadnt been running since 2 years. Also the previous monitor had shown artefacts about 10 days ago which didn't go away after switching vga cables or connecting it to the onboard vga port. It still showed black lines with just the power cord connected which it's when I decided to buy a new monitor. But since the last 5 days my old monitor had been working fine.

I had also recently cleaned the PC and reapplied thermal paste.

Don't know if it's the psu or mobo that gave up.

Specs:

1) i5 4460
2) Gigabyte GA B85M D3H
3) Seasonic s12II 520
4) Corsair vengeance 4 gb ddr3 x 2
5) Zotac gtx 760 amp
6) WD blue 1 tb x 2
7) lg DVD drive

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You first need to make sure if it's Monitor fault.
Since it's a new display and after 5 min, your PC shut down, it doesn't look like it's display issue. Still I think you need to test it with another monitor.

My bet is on motherboard. It's moisture season.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
If everything runs, PSU is good.

MOBO could be issue here. At present you can't test MOBO unless you take it to some shop.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
if your new MOBO supports the existing processor, it would support RAM. Should not be a problem.

In case it does not, try to find a compatible MOBO with i5 4460. Less dent on your pocket.

Else, brace for new Procy, RAM, MOBO.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well I have repaired my Haswell based mobo before from Nehru place in Delhi from a good motherboard repair shop.
I might as well have to do it again, since my PC is kept in storage since it's also not booting and I am forced to use my low spec laptop in the meanwhile.

Motherboards can be repaired, provided you are able to find a good repair shop.

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Thank you all for your suggestions. I took my system to a store. Their prelimnary assessment pointed to the failure of the board. They've sent it for repair along with the psu and I'll get to know the status by the weekend.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Well, I faced same situation last week. All the fans were spinning, graphics card was getting direct power from PSU, all LEDs were lighting up (except one fancy LED on the motherboard) and no boot. Turned out the motherboard was fine but PSU was faulty.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even I suspect the PSU. Fans don't run when they can not get enough power. Op clearly said when if was not providing the additional power to the GPU via the connector every fans were spinning and when the GPU was connected to the PSU only one fan was spinning. Clear case of a broken PSU.

OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Thank you all for your insights. 3 years back there was a power surge or something (I was not at home & m father was using the pc) which fried one of my hdd. That's also when one of my gpu fans stopped working. Recently I bought a monitor and was trying out my games at 1080p glory for the first time (from 768p) when the system crashed. I tried once again on farcry 3 and thats when it crashed to no POST. So I assumed it to be the psu's fault and went ahead and bought a antec gold earthwatts 750 w psu. I know it's overkill but I'd err on the safer side. Also, when I called the service centre, their replies weren't positive but they are yet to give a final word. So it's upgrade time I guess.

Last edited:
OP
J

john.varghese.5099

Broken In
Yeah. The motherboard was done for. It was also out of warranty and none was in stock. So I had to go the upgrade path. Bought a ryzen 5 3600, asrock b450 pro motherboard and 16 gb ram. Thanks for your suggestions here and in another thread (started so I could make the right choice for upgrade)

Top Bottom