PC not starting, CPU Pin issue

mitraark

Decrepit
Hello everyone,

I've been using an assembled PC since Feb 2019, specs are i7 6700k , Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard, 4x 8GB TridentZ, Galax 1070 SNPR . I have an Antec VP650PM semi modular PSU.

The PC had ran fine all these months. Even the day before yesterday i used it all evening and shut it down normally. yesterday as I pushed the power button, the lights on theb Mobo blinked for a fraction of a second and then nothing. PC didn't start up. No blinks.

I turned the power off and on . Again, the first time I hit the power button, there's a blink on the motherboard lights. Subsequent presses don't do that.

I disconnected everything and started testing each item separately. Did a bios reset through removing the CMOS battery. Left out the GPU, RAM sticks, HDDs. I suspected the PSU to be the culprit, and was almost sure of it when I connected a spare PSU 24 pin to the Mobo and the CPU fan started working. But then as I connected the CPU 4 pin , the same issue cropped up again. Just a blink on first power button press, nothing thereafter.

I have been using only 4 pins of the PSU I to the motherboard, even though there's 8 available and the motherboard too has socket for 8 pins. But the other 4 pin which I didn't use were all Polygonal shaped, whereas the sockets on the motherboard were Polygonal and squares diagonally. Photos attached.

My question is, is there any other option left to solve this issue with the CPU pin? Connecting it isn't letting me start the PC.
Or do I give up and send the board for repair?

Also, should I have used all 8 pins from the beginning? The 6700k definitely could have used power from 8 pins, but I never faced any sort of issues up until now, don't know why the problem arose all of a sudden. The pins didn't match with the socket that's why I kept them aside, although they do go in without any problem. The Polygonal pins fit into the square ports . Do any of you have 8pins used for your CPU? How do they look?

4 pin

8 pin

motherboard 8 pin

Last edited:

maheshn

Journeyman
Actually you should have used all 8 pins, yes. On all boards I've seen so far the pin sockets are like what you showed in the attachment, and the pins are not exactly the same but compatible.

According to Gigabyte's website the board has their dual BIOS feature. Try switching to the backup BIOS and powering on, if you haven't done so already.

Here's a page showing the location of the dual BIOS switch on the board

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard Review | KitGuru - Part 3

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
Gave the board for repair at a known shop. They said it'd cost around 5000 FETs need replacement. Costly gaming board + old, hard to find spares, hence so much.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gave the board for repair at a known shop. They said it'd cost around 5000 FETs need replacement. Costly gaming board + old, hard to find spares, hence so much.
My advice is to not spend so much money on mobo repair,you will probably be able to run this mobo after repairs for may be 6 months to a year if you are lucky. Sell the processor on olx/techenclave/erodov & build a new system.

OP
mitraark

mitraark

Decrepit
My advice is to not spend so much money on mobo repair,you will probably be able to run this mobo after repairs for may be 6 months to a year if you are lucky. Sell the processor on olx/techenclave/erodov & build a new system.

Let's see. I dont want to spend much on a PC now. It was a decade old dream to build a high end PC but i'm past that age :( Had last played a game properly more than 3 months back. Will continue using this setup only, as long as it lasts.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's see. I dont want to spend much on a PC now. It was a decade old dream to build a high end PC but i'm past that age :( Had last played a game properly more than 3 months back. Will continue using this setup only, as long as it lasts.
You only need to get processor & mobo as ram is ddr4 so it can be reused.You should be able to sell your 6700k for 7-8k & you can get a budget intel b360/365 mobo+i3 9100f for ~12k.

Top Bottom