PC keeps restarting while playing game(crysis3)

khmadhu

change is constant!!
I got a problem running crysis 3 in win 7. it keeps restarting(randomly) while playing.

I updated the game with ver 1.1 fix, still problem is there so I doubt about heating GPU..how can i monitor the temp of my GPU...?

is it the problem of my GPU or PSU?

my sys conf is in my sig.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
use MSI afterburner for monitoring the GPU temperatures. when you say restarting does it mean the game or your system ?

OP
khmadhu

khmadhu

change is constant!!
@RCuber will MSI afterburner work with XFX cards..?

alternatively will try two more tests
1) install another game(probably sniper ghost warrior 2)
2) install win 8 and rerun games

Flash

Lost in speed
@OP: What's ur Catalyst driver version?
MSI Afterburner is just a GPU utility designed by MSI, and it is not meant for MSI cards alone :D

OP
khmadhu

khmadhu

change is constant!!
^dnt knw the exact version but updated 4 days back. the problem was there before update also.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
check with some other games like Crysis 2, BF3 etc. .. if you are facing the exact issue then it may be ram, gpu or cpu anything.

OP
khmadhu

khmadhu

change is constant!!
installed MSI afterburner and tested with another new game sniper ghost warrior 2, still it keeps restarting.. sometimes it hangs (no restart) very rarely.

GPU statistics.. from afterburner
for both game (crysis 3 and sniper 2) the GPU temp max was 67 and crysis3 utilized 935MB inbuilt RAM where as sniper 2 used 750MB inbuilt RAM
GPU clock and memory clock was at default levels 830 and 1200 Mhz respectively.

apart from game I encountered the hanging problem from VLC player also for some selected HD videos!.

any clue for the problem..?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most probably the GPU is to blame here .. remove the gfx card and check with your cpu integrated gfx and see whether you are facing any issues or not.

OP
khmadhu

khmadhu

change is constant!!
most probably the GPU is to blame here .. remove the gfx card and check with your cpu integrated gfx and see whether you are facing any issues or not.

cant check that way... My mobo is DP67BG and its not having Display out!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re-install win 7, check with some other games like BFBC2, Crysis2, BF3 etc. , check your ram modules using memtest86+ bootable app, HDD for bad sectors ( use HD Tune ), make sure the cpu ( and gpu ) is not overheating and remount the cpu and the cpu hsf with good TiM if necessary ... if they are all ok and you are facing issues even after that then the gpu is what causing all the issues.

OP
khmadhu

khmadhu

change is constant!!
I think I found out the problem.. its the RAM!. Corsair XMS3 4GB x2 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
ran memtest twice,
It was not giving errors but got hanged while running in 1600Mhz clock,another time it rebooted, if I clocked down to 1333Mhz then memtest ran succesfully. also played smoothly both crysis3 and sniper2, no problem till now.

Previously I played many games at that RAM speed,nothing happened then, but now its causing problem!, I guess the clock increase resulted in heating up the RAM.
should I RMA the RAM. ?

PS:I am in no hurry coz it got still 8 years of warranty left!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there's any need for RMA the ram modules .. check your load cpu temp ( use hwmonitor ).

Top Bottom