PC freeze problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
This started just 4-5 days back and has become really irritating. I cannot use my laptop at all. I am posting some screenshots. Let me know what else I need to do.
HDD_status2.png
Disk100percentUIsage.png

The task manager screen doesn't always look like that but Disk Usage is always 100% now. And I am quite sure that is the reason my laptop is freezing very often.
Also, one the thing I noticed, when I disconnect from internet, the disk usage decreases as well and comes to 10% or so depending upon usage. Most of the time I see system process using disk but sometimes I see Disk usage 0.0MB/s for all the processes but still Disk Usage stays at 100%.

I have already cleared all the junk files from the system. Increased Page file size , Initial-1024MB and Maximum-2048MB. I have 6GB RAM though.

Going to do a scan from Malware Bytes and 360 Total Security tomorrow, will post results too if something comes up. Please tell me what all I need to do.

i5 3210, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD is the configuration.

Thanks in advance.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Are you on Windows 10? System update running in background might be a reason for your high disk usage while connected to internet.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
UPDATE : I am sorry. The disk usage was 100% even when PC was not connected to internet. Noticed it after posting the main post.
The OS is Windows 10.
Yesterday I scanned it through 360TS but results were normal. NOthing found. Will scan with malwarebytes tonight and update again.

The PC is really not usable now. HardDisk might be the culprit?? CrystalDisk Info shows normal Pending Sector count - 1. What else I need to see??

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
please provide more info..

share screenshot of disk usage in these.

Task manager > performance > Disk

Users> Disk usage (descending order)

maheshn

Journeyman
UPDATE : I am sorry. The disk usage was 100% even when PC was not connected to internet. Noticed it after posting the main post.
The OS is Windows 10.
Yesterday I scanned it through 360TS but results were normal. NOthing found. Will scan with malwarebytes tonight and update again.

The PC is really not usable now. HardDisk might be the culprit?? CrystalDisk Info shows normal Pending Sector count - 1. What else I need to see??

Try limiting your Windows Update Bandwidth, and turn off P2P updates. One source (from google)

How to Stop Windows 10 From Using So Much Dat

Google is your friend :)

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^The bold part clearly says PC freezes even when it is not connected to internet. Also, the problem is Disk Usage is 100% even when I am not doin anything, connected to internet or not.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^The bold part clearly says PC freezes even when it is not connected to internet. Also, the problem is Disk Usage is 100% even when I am not doin anything, connected to internet or not.
please provide more info..

share screenshot of disk usage in these.

Task manager > performance > Disk

Users> Disk usage (descending order)

maheshn

Journeyman

The P2P update part will increase disk usage *regardless* of whether your internet is connected or not., as it keeps trying to read & write to the disk(s) continuously. This is not like a torrent client. I've experienced it in person in a LOT of PC's at work., which are not connected to the net. Turn that setting off.... It will help your system performance.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks alot everyone for replying. I am unable to post any screenshot as the PC is working fine now and Disk Usage is low. But I will post the screenshot soon, as this problem is recurring. And sorry for the late reply.

- - - Updated - - -

PS : P2P update was already off and I have set my Wifi connection as metered one just 2 weeks back.

And I have original OS

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Disable unnecessary startup softwares.
Uninstall all AV's/Malwarebytes etc. Let Windows Defender handle your system for a bit.
Update your drivers once the system is usable.
Uninstall chrome.
Are you on Creator's update? If yes then say goodbye to battery life.
Are you using Home version?
Kindly list your system's specs.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
1. That is done already.
2. I don't trust Windows Def, 360TS and MWBytes seems to be working fine for me.
3. Doesn't windows auto update everything in backgroud if needed?
4. I reinstalled it though, Firefox doesn't doesn't support Hangouts and I am too lazy to reset my password in Skype.
5. Not yet, Let's see. Seems we can't stop it from being updated.
6. Yes.
7. Laptop with i5-3210. 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
1. That is done already.
2. I don't trust Windows Def, 360TS and MWBytes seems to be working fine for me.
3. Doesn't windows auto update everything in backgroud if needed?
4. I reinstalled it though, Firefox doesn't doesn't support Hangouts and I am too lazy to reset my password in Skype.
5. Not yet, Let's see. Seems we can't stop it from being updated.
6. Yes.
7. Laptop with i5-3210. 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD.

2. Don't trust them, trust me and remove them just for zeroing down the root cause.
3. Not all drivers are auto updated.
4. Uninstall that crap.
7. Which lappy? I hope it's not from Harassement-Packard.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
2. Don't trust them, trust me and remove them just for zeroing down the root cause.
3. Not all drivers are auto updated.
4. Uninstall that crap.
7. Which lappy? I hope it's not from Harassement-Packard.

LOL. This is internet.
2. Apart from that, I am satisfied with them. Also, I know those two softwares aren't the culprit of 100% disk usage, otherwise they would be listed at the top in task manager.
3. Ah, I need to update things this weekedn then.
4. I know its a RAM hog but I need that crap.
7. Samsung :)

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
LOL. This is internet.
2. Apart from that, I am satisfied with them. Also, I know those two softwares aren't the culprit of 100% disk usage, otherwise they would be listed at the top in task manager.
3. Ah, I need to update things this weekedn then.
4. I know its a RAM hog but I need that crap.
7. Samsung :)
Try safe mode next time.. and find which causes problem..

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@TigerKing , Yes I will post here If I come across same problem again. Now it is happening for just 1 mins or so which seems normal. When I posted this new thread, PC was unusable for almost 4 days.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
use perfmon from task manager
MBAM is good.
apart from CCleaner also use GlaryUtilities Glary Utilities | Glarysoft (one of the best cleaning app I use now a days)
occasionally check system events manager for any errors/warnings (eventvwr)

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Ok everything was fine until today morning. I was taking backup of some of my game setups from my D:/ to my external HDD. At the sametime I typed a folder name in HDD's explorer's search bar to find it. PC froze immediately and after waiting for more than 15mins, I forced stopped copy operation, but eventually had to restart the PC assuming it will work normally

Since I did a cut paste, I lost the original data and very less data was copied to external HDD.

But cause I stopped the copy operation and then restarted the PC. My PC is super slow. Now it isn't even showing the empty/fill bar status for D: drive.

Everytime I restart I get this screen which says Repairing D drive. It takes more than 20mins to come to that screen.

Sorry I didn't create another thread as I feel it the same issue. Last time I was able to check task manager for the high disk usage but this time I am unable to do that. Since this all happened after the failed data transfer operation I am guessing it's my HDD again.

Please help me find a solution soon.

PS : my new WD external HDD gives only 19Mbps speed of data transfer. Is there any problem?? This whole issue might be cause of my external HDD??*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/1fdf41b31141dbf8cf950e9a39f11b25.jpg

sohan_92

In the zone
Ok everything was fine until today morning. I was taking backup of some of my game setups from my D:/ to my external HDD. At the sametime I typed a folder name in HDD's explorer's search bar to find it. PC froze immediately and after waiting for more than 15mins, I forced stopped copy operation, but eventually had to restart the PC assuming it will work normally

Since I did a cut paste, I lost the original data and very less data was copied to external HDD.

But cause I stopped the copy operation and then restarted the PC. My PC is super slow. Now it isn't even showing the empty/fill bar status for D: drive.

Everytime I restart I get this screen which says Repairing D drive. It takes more than 20mins to come to that screen.

Sorry I didn't create another thread as I feel it the same issue. Last time I was able to check task manager for the high disk usage but this time I am unable to do that. Since this all happened after the failed data transfer operation I am guessing it's my HDD again.

Please help me find a solution soon.

PS : my new WD external HDD gives only 19Mbps speed of data transfer. Is there any problem?? This whole issue might be cause of my external HDD??*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/1fdf41b31141dbf8cf950e9a39f11b25.jpg
1. Is it a Desktop or Laptop?
2. What is your External HDD model?
3. Check your internal and external HDD health using Crystaldiskinfo or other available tool after you are able to login. Do post screenshot for that one. If possible, use some de-fragmentation tool like Defraggler for D: drive.
4. And 19Mbps transfer rate is super slow for modern type HDD. Try with another PC or Laptop for checking transfer rate.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes I am thinking to claim warranty for this after checking it well.
But first I need to start my system. I don't have a bootable Linux OS. Now I can't create one either.
Have a bootable windows 10 pen drive though, but it seems pointless. Tried several times.

I finally managed to start my system after 3hrs of wait. I have taken following snapshots. Notice that D:/ doesn't work . I can't open it. It says invalid parameters.

Guys I need data from that drive. Also I need my system back in working condition asap. I can buy a new harddisk if nothing is gonna work. May be I can get a case for the internal HDD and transfer data to new Internal HDD through Linux live OS if this faulty HDD responds correctly.*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/233635e6db2e6d25eab7c165c912867d.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/211d72a7150357ae5d604ca91dd22164.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom