PC for 20k..All inclusive

quicky008

Technomancer
well i am using it with a 9th gen intel pc at the moment,and so far there have been no problems.Previously it was used to power a haswell i5 system.

Is it safe to continue using this psu or should i get something more modern?its around 3 years old.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
well i am using it with a 9th gen intel pc at the moment,and so far there have been no problems.Previously it was used to power a haswell i5 system.

Is it safe to continue using this psu or should i get something more modern?its around 3 years old.
It is recommended to get at least CX550 & sell the seasonic psu but wait for @chimera201 to comment on this.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I don't know why you guys follow linustechtips tier list. That's not any good.
*www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?13048-Another-tier-list-at-LTT

tom's hardware forums list was the most reliable one out there but they scrapped it since they themselves realised it wasn't reliable enough and hard to categorise.

Seasonic S12II is equivalent to Corsair's current CX line overall. But the Seasonic uses an outdated design that might not be good for today's "boosting" CPUs and GPUs in the long run.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

tom's hardware forums list was the most reliable one out there but they scrapped it since they themselves realised it wasn't reliable enough and hard to categorise.

Seasonic S12II is equivalent to Corsair's current CX line overall. But the Seasonic uses an outdated design that might not be good for today's "boosting" CPUs and GPUs in the long run.
I know jonnyguru is the place to go to but thought linustechtip list is alright for a general purpose(aka proving CX450/550 is the minimum one should get). In any case current CXx5x series is the minimum recommended for almost all pc configs here except for really low end systems. Btw any new promising psu models launched in India or is it still CX550 & TXM series for a majority of pc configs here.

quicky008

Technomancer

afaik these older PSUs employ something called group regulated design-i think some recent psus like the vs series from corsair also incorporate this technology.

are these psus likely to produce out of spec voltages when are subjected to high loads ,thereby harming any pc component that they might be powering?

seasonic has a lot of higher end models like their focus plus series but they are unfortunately not available in India,but strangely many retailers still sell these older seasonic psus at a hefty premium even today. The s12ii still sells for around 6k at present,even though its based on an older design.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
afaik these older PSUs employ something called group regulated design-i think some recent psus like the vs series from corsair also incorporate this technology.
Yes but no psu manufactured in 2017 by any decent company has group regulated design incl VS series 2017 version & that's why it is rated higher than seasonic s12ii at least on paper even if(see below) in all other areas it is inferior to seasonic.

are these psus likely to produce out of spec voltages when are subjected to high loads ,thereby harming any pc component that they might be powering?
Only under certain conditions which a typical user should not encounter but still it is always better to be cautious.

seasonic has a lot of higher end models like their focus plus series but they are unfortunately not available in India,but strangely many retailers still sell these older seasonic psus at a hefty premium even today. The s12ii still sells for around 6k at present,even though its based on an older design.
Because Indian markets are poor(no other way to say it). Companies like seasonic know the reality of Indian market & still allow their discontinued products to sell here because they simply don't care about it.

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Yes but no psu manufactured in 2017 by any decent company has group regulated design incl VS series 2017 version & that's why it is rated higher than seasonic s12ii at least on paper even if in all other areas it is inferior to seasonic.

Corsair VS is group regulated, even the newest one, that's why it's cheap.
*www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-vs650/

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair VS is group regulated, even the newest one, that's why it's cheap.
*www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-vs650/
Really? Then how come its reviews are decent enough because I thought any group regulated psu should do poorly on latest hardware regulation tests.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Really? Then how come its reviews are decent enough because I thought any group regulated psu should do poorly on latest hardware regulation tests.

Yes.
As expected from such an old platform, load regulation is loose, especially on the +12V rail, which is the most important rail in a PSU. The 3.3V rail also dropped notably under high loads and increased operating temperatures.
*www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-vs650/2.html
The crossload tests are out of spec.

Any reviewer that recommends the VS series is basically recommending it because of its price.
TPUs conclusion quote
Usually, I am extra cautious when testing mainstream PSUs because a failure won't just result in fireworks, but may damage my equipment. The Chroma I use is highly tolerant to PSU failures, but that is not the case for my very expensive power analyzer that may take quite the blow if a power supply's primary side explodes, which is why I avoid testing incredibly cheap PSUs.

He is basically praising that such a cheap PSU didn't explode. That doesn't mean the PSU is great :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes.

*www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-vs650/2.html
The crossload tests are out of spec.

Any reviewer that recommends the VS series is basically recommending it because of its price.
TPUs conclusion quote

He is basically praising that such a cheap PSU didn't explode. That doesn't mean the PSU is great :p
Ok! I never suggested it for graphics card builds anyway so what are the chances of this flaw of group regulation coming into play on systems using integrated graphics like ryzen 2200/3200G or intel low end integrated graphics processors with no graphics card.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Ok! I never suggested it for graphics card builds anyway so what are the chances of this flaw of group regulation coming into play on systems using integrated graphics like ryzen 2200/3200G or intel low end integrated graphics processors with no graphics card.

It shouldn't be a problem for systems with no discrete graphics card and with a budget CPU. Today's GPUs does a lot of boosting tricks which stresses the PSU a lot.

quicky008

Technomancer
I met a guy using a vs 650(older orange label unit) on a pc with an amd fx cpu and 1080ti a while ago-he claims its working fine and that he hasn't faced any issues with his setup, even though using such a group regulated psu is supposed to be dangerous.

Vs psus are quite popular in India and many people use them despite their outdated design due to the low price tag, even in relatively powerful builds.

In my case i am using the seasonic unit with an i5 9400f and gtx 1060 6gb-i hope it won't cause any problems soon as i don't have the means to replace it immediately.

I think even antec's vp psus are group regulated as well.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I met a guy using a vs 650(older orange label unit) on a pc with an amd fx cpu and 1080ti a while ago-he claims its working fine and that he hasn't faced any issues with his setup, even though using such a group regulated psu is supposed to be dangerous.

Vs psus are quite popular in India and many people use them despite their outdated design due to the low price tag, even in relatively powerful builds.

In my case i am using the seasonic unit with an i5 9400f and gtx 1060 6gb-i hope it won't cause any problems soon as i don't have the means to replace it immediately.

I think even antec's vp psus are group regulated as well.
Since I started gaming 21 years ago, I lost 3 GPUs, 3 motherboards, 3 PSUs while I was using el cheapo PSUs.
Even when I was using Seasonic Gold rated PSU once lightning hit my house and all components got fried except processor, RAM,UPS since all were in warranty I got them replaced somehow.
This is why where ever I go or move into a new house I get it checked for earthing.
The cheapest PSUs I used are CoolerMasterMWE series and Corsair VS series.
These are such dangerous ones in those days.
I think coolermaster have improved a lot nowadays comparing Corsair VS nowadays.

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry, these are the guys who usually end up losing large amount of money in incidents like online scamming/cheating/share markets etc even if their luck save them in running their pc. :)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Who told you so? Current Corsair CX450/550/650 are the only good budget psu models available among all the brands in India.
I was watching the forums and reddit nowadays and nobody have complained about losing their PCs due to using such PSUs.
But I know about JohnnyGurus PSU tier classification which I follow always.
But you are basing your views on Linus Tech Tips classification.
Sometimes YouTube reviewers reviews are biased like paid reviews.
That's why I choose & selected Johnny Gurus PSU Classification.
Maybe you are right maybe because it was covered by techpowerup.
Like Corsair VS Series new PSUs.
Mentioned by Chimera

PS: I was speaking about Corsair VS series new ones not Corsair CX series. And their reviews.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was watching the forums and reddit nowadays and nobody have complained about losing their PCs due to using such PSUs.
But I know about JohnnyGurus PSU tier classification which I follow always.
But you are basing your views on Linus Tech Tips classification.
Sometimes YouTube reviewers reviews are biased like paid reviews.
That's why I choose & selected Johnny Gurus PSU Classification.
Maybe you are right maybe because it was covered by techpowerup.
Like Corsair VS Series new PSUs.
Mentioned by Chimera

PS: I was speaking about Corsair VS series new ones not Corsair CX series. And their reviews.
Nowadays nobody lose their pc because of psu(at least online) unless they got some very bad psu with very good hardware which rarely happens because the most likely people to post such matters online are also the same people who ask for suggestions online for pc builds. I don't rely on any youtube reviews or even linustechtips tier list which I only use to make others understand in a simple way because jonnyguru forum level talk will go over the head of most people asking for psu suggestion. I have been following corsair CX x5x series performance since 2018 & I have also discussed it a lot at jonnyguru forums too so I know CX 2017 series is a good option. I only recommend VS 2017 series for extremely low end psu build with very tight budget otherwise I always recommend at least CX450 or CX550.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Nowadays nobody lose their pc because of psu(at least online) unless they got some very bad psu with very good hardware which rarely happens because the most likely people to post such matters online are also the same people who ask for suggestions online for pc builds. I don't rely on any youtube reviews or even linustechtips tier list which I only use to make others understand in a simple way because jonnyguru forum level talk will go over the head of most people asking for psu suggestion. I have been following corsair CX x5x series performance since 2018 & I have also discussed it a lot at jonnyguru forums too so I know CX 2017 series is a good option. I only recommend VS 2017 series for extremely low end psu build with very tight budget otherwise I always recommend at least CX450 or CX550.
Good to hear this

Top Bottom