PC crashes, when running Diagnostics, or boot time scan.

vikash

Journeyman
ABOUT MY PC
I own a Dell N4010 laptop
-Core i3 2.53GHz
-3 GB RAM
-1 GB ATI Radeon HD5650 graphics

I NOTICED
-When playing games(FIFA 13, Don Bradman Cricket, others I've not tested), the CPU clocks to 100% usage, and crashes if gaming is continued.
-My graphics drivers are up to date

I TRIED
-Running boot time scan for potential viruses and malwares, using Avast Free Edition. The pc crashed in between the process.
-Running full system diagnostics, the one you do from by pressing F12 during startup. The PC crashed again.

> Well I am able to do the normal stuffs pretty OKAY. I am using the same PC to write this thread, but the crashing of DIAGNOSTICS, seem to be alarming, as it has never happened in the 4 years life of my laptop.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Checked the temperatures?
But the system crashes even from a cold boot. That thing IS alarming. It may point to a faulty disk drive though. Just do a chkdsk from command prompt preferably from recovery.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
-Running boot time scan for potential viruses and malwares, using Avast Free Edition. The pc crashed in between the process.
Most probably is a failing hard drive. Run a scan for bad sectors, I'm pretty sure it'll find a few.

OP
vikash

vikash

Journeyman
I had issues with Hard Disks before, but never before, the diagnostics stopped in between. That is why I am worried. Can you suggest the course of action I should take from here.
I will install the Dell Diagnostics Utility, to check if I can get something out of it.

OP
vikash

vikash

Journeyman
I tried Dell Diagnostics utility, well it failed too.
I was more worried for my processor, so I installed and ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool.
On the first run
---it failed in Base Clock Test.(I forgot to take the screen shot)

On the second run, and third run, it passed.
*i61.tinypic.com/nmztic.jpg

Notice the 100% usage of CPU. I opened and closed Fifa 13, hoping it would make an impact
*i62.tinypic.com/2qk48i9.jpg

spxx

Broken In
how's temp's , check psu if the psu has conked out it would crash on cold boot too.

edit just saw that your on notebook, get open hardware monitor and check temps on your gpu and cpu , best case case scenario must be the fan has died out , if they temps are in range on 50 to 60 on idle , get the unit checked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom