pc becoming gamer unfriendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
infernus said:
If you ask me, The Gamepad is the best for all games except FPS, Strategy, and RPG
You're right, I agree with you. That doesn't leave many games out there (in the other genres) to justify buying a console. But, a true hardcore gamer - needs both.
infernus said:
The best part of Doom3 is lost when you play it in medium res, with no bells and whistles.
You mean shadows? Fortunately for me, I had the option of running the game at all high @ 800 X 600. On playing @ medium, what I noticed was a little blurry textures...and oh..those shadows. Now how many of you would keep staring at shadows? First thing I did was disable shadows. The game was so dark, it didn't matter whether you played at high or medium, IMO.
infernus said:
The XFX GeForce FX 5200 128MB was released in 13/02/2004. Now it cant even play Doom3 with above decent quality.
It can. And does. You've no idea of the number of people playing D3 on fx 5200s. It's mainly the reason for it to be the most popular budget card, now overtaken by the 6200.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Man! :shock: Turn off shadows in Doom 3? That's just as bad as playing the game with the speakers/headphones off. Part of the scary aspect of the game, heck, most of it, were the scarily leaping shadows.

infernus

Broken In
gamefreak14 said:
You're right, I agree with you. That doesn't leave many games out there (in the other genres) to justify buying a console. But, a true hardcore gamer - needs both.

Whose talkin about 'Gamepads justify buying console' thingy here? I said that coz u said gamepad was childish(bleah, choke)

gamefreak14 said:
You mean shadows? Fortunately for me, I had the option of running the game at all high @ 800 X 600. On playing @ medium, what I noticed was a little blurry textures...and oh..those shadows. Now how many of you would keep staring at shadows? First thing I did was disable shadows. The game was so dark, it didn't matter whether you played at high or medium, IMO.

:shock: Im with enoonmai here.

gamefreak14 said:
It can. And does. You've no idea of the number of people playing D3 on fx 5200s. It's mainly the reason for it to be the most popular budget card, now overtaken by the 6200.

Lemme know their framerates at High Quality, 1024x768, 4x AA, 8x AF, 32 bit . Now dont come and say, 'I meant at low settings". I already said the best part of Doom3 is lost when you play it in medium res, with no bells and whistles.

OP
T

Tommygecko

Broken In
i think you guys have failed to grasp my point.i meant not that the pc is worse than a console,but that if these games being tweaked goes on,one day you will find on the game packets,under system requirements-"only runs on an Ati" or-"only made for nvidia",just like in the console "for the ps2" or "for the xbox only" etc.then even the pc would be divided into sub categories.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
enoonmai said:
Man! Turn off shadows in Doom 3? That's just as bad as playing the game with the speakers/headphones off. Part of the scary aspect of the game, heck, most of it, were the scarily leaping shadows.
Initally the shadows were quite interesting, and really helped to enliven the atmosphere of the game. I also noticed that shadows brought down the fps considerably, especially when there was a lot of action. A couple of levels into the game, it didn't matter anymore. The 'lights off - <monster growl/laugh> - shoot-kill - lights on' routine was getting OTT.
infernus said:
Lemme know their framerates at High Quality, 1024x768, 4x AA, 8x AF, 32 bit . Now dont come and say, 'I meant at low settings". I already said the best part of Doom3 is lost when you play it in medium res, with no bells and whistles.
If by "bells and whistles", you meant 8x AF / 4xAA then I guess you are right. But who said that such insane levels of AF and AA is mandatory to enjoying a game in its full glory? Hell, you must've been downright depressed if you've played the GTA series on the PC.
Well I don't have any benchmarks, but I did get 30-35 fps. I think its pretty obvious that an FX 5200 is incapable of rendering any game at greater levels of AA/AF.
The crux of this debate, I believe, is in how you choose to play games. Some cannot tolerate medium settings. They should get a console too, as it offers them the best of both worlds. The others are much better off with their pcs.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yeah, I get that part about it being OTT, all right. I was desperate enough to use "killmonsters" in one level because I was so d@mn fed up of the imp walking around like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura, hissing at me while I hid in a crawlspace and kept shooting at it with a pistol. :lol:

I know a good friend of mine who's a Doom fanatic of sorts, plays the game on a 5200 at low-res and still has fun with it, so I guess any card that can run the game is OK for some, and so very obviously, he wasnt using either AA or AF. (Of course, he's gotten an XBox now and is eagerly waiting for April 4, so I wonder who the joke is on now. Probably me, I am always the designated joker. :D)

But I can never see the point in spending 35k on a GPU and have it go obsolete in a few months. I would rather play the game at low settings for some time and then upgrade to a mid end card later when I can afford it. I've already been burned once! :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Consoles r now leading coz they have an all game experience...

but i think ps3 and futures will change that

PC is game friendly enough xcept for gphx card upgrade...

shaunak

Tux Fan
Concoles have their advantages and pc have their advantages.

you do not have to upgrade ur pc every month (unless you want the very best in eye candy). so spare the visiuals and save your money. after all the concole cant give u a multiplayer xperience can it?[unless u live in the usa or uk and will shell out for xbox live.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom