Pathetic After sales support & fraud behaviour by WD in India

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Thanks whitestar for making aware that WD only provides refurbished drives" - this is factually wrong.
First of all I never said that(see my post), second the fact is not entirely wrong. "WD only provides re-certified drives for their non-5 years warranty models as default replacement policy".

P.S. I don't understand why are you defending WD so much, I am not some newbie who bought a hdd & then complaining why I did not get 4TB space in a 4TB hdd or why hdd is not working at 120MB/s all the time for all file transfers incl thousands of small few mb files. I have presented all the technical details. WD is selling a model in India which can easily reach 60C in winter season & then they are offering a re-certified drive as replacement, case closed.

Last edited:

chetansha

In the zone
First of all I never said that(see my post), second the fact is not entirely wrong. "WD only provides re-certified drives for their non-5 years warranty models as default replacement policy".

P.S. I don't understand why are you defending WD so much, I am not some newbie who bought a hdd & then complaining why I did not get 4TB space in a 4TB hdd or why hdd is not working at 120MB/s all the time for all file transfers incl thousands of small few mb files. I have presented all the technical details. WD is selling a model in India which can easily reach 60C in winter season & then they are offering a re-certified drive as replacement, case closed.

I never said you said. Your post was such that other members are mislead to understand that wd provides ONLY refurbished if it goes for rma.
Why do you feel i am defending wd when i am correcting misconceptions ?

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

quicky008

Technomancer
Re read his earlier posts carefully, he said wd provides refurb drives only for entry level models, not top tier drives belonging to red/black families etc.

I too was under the impression that wd was a reliable brand, hence bought quite a few of their drives over the last few years. But after this recent development, i will have to think twice about buying wd, as i usually buy blue/green series drives which are regarded as entry level products.

Now that wd drives are risky to buy, are there any other reliable manufacturers remaining? I think seagate and toshiba are just as bad, as far as their rma policy is concerned.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never said you said. Your post was such that other members are mislead to understand that wd provides ONLY refurbished if it goes for rma.
Why do you feel i am defending wd when i am correcting misconceptions ?

No one here is being mislead, majority ppl here(& elsewhere) buy regular WD models with 3 years(or less) warranty for which WD does provide re-certified drives as replacement. In fact I asked you to contact WD support & get it in writing/call that WD provides new replacement for their top end models just as a confirmation for future reference for others.

chetansha

In the zone
No one here is being mislead, majority ppl here(& elsewhere) buy regular WD models with 3 years(or less) warranty for which WD does provide re-certified drives as replacement. In fact I asked you to contact WD support & get it in writing/call that WD provides new replacement for their top end models just as a confirmation for future reference for others.

Well. Its pointless when you don't see the point i am making.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well. Its pointless when you don't see the point i am making.

Agreed, you seem to like WD too much as a brand & that's alright. Btw in case you didn't notice, the thread title is "Pathetic after sales support & fraud behaviour" aka WD selling models which should not be sold in India in the first place.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
"Thanks whitestar for making aware that WD only provides refurbished drives" - this is factually wrong.
Ok.

It's all about reputation. Till now they had a good reputation. Now they don't. Just dropped from "trusted" image, they had before. Simple as that.
I may have exaggerated a bit, by saying that it provides "only" refurbished. But I represent 'general mass', not geeks now. ;)

chetansha

In the zone
Ok.

It's all about reputation. Till now they had a good reputation. Now they don't. Just dropped from "trusted" image, they had before. Simple as that.
I may have exaggerated a bit, by saying that it provides "only" refurbished. But I represent 'general mass', not geeks now. ;)
That was my point. Your exaggeration.
No where else have i disputed nor agreed what whitestar_999 has said.
I only Drew attention to the line " wd provides ONLY refurbished drives "
Go thru my posts again and again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ I agree you are true. Point taken. Maybe now we can go ahead with the discussion.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another point to add here, WD support person who called back in the evening(after he failed to talk to me the previous day when he called me in morning & phone was not with me) & talked to me apprently could not "tolerate" listening to my technical explanation of helium & air filled drives & the way to differentiate between them based on a code on box & cut the call rudely & then never called back again after I told him my issue was resolved as Tata Cliq refunded my money. Contrast this with seagate customer care person who called me 3 times in a day just because I created a support ticket to get 2 months trial version of adobe creative cloud suite which came in seagate 4TB portable which I forgot to copy before doing a quick format.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Seagate has a negative reputation (drive failure rates) to repair. While their reputation may not be justifiable for their newer drives, it is still historical baggage that sticks.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seagate has a negative reputation (drive failure rates) to repair. While their reputation may not be justifiable for their newer drives, it is still historical baggage that sticks.
Myth to be honest, those who are actually concerned with historical baggage are a minority while majority just believes it as any other online gospel with no logical basis. WD initial green series models were also bad but they were lucky in the sense that seagate produced even worst models before & around that time effectively hiding WD mistakes. I believe just like everything else HDD overall quality have also gone down & nowadays it doesn't matter which brand you get as long as the drive is suitable for your usage.e.g.in my case this particular model would have worked fine inside a data centre with better than avg read write rates.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The thing is, perception is almost everything when it comes to business.

Even in enterprise if a WD sales rep comes to an acquisitions manager and refers to Seagate's baggage, and their techies parrot the same 'gospel', it hurts Seagate's bottom line.

So Seagate has to make it a priority to treat their customers well to overturn the negative opinion with time.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing is, perception is almost everything when it comes to business.

Even in enterprise if a WD sales rep comes to an acquisitions manager and refers to Seagate's baggage, and their techies parrot the same 'gospel', it hurts Seagate's bottom line.

So Seagate has to make it a priority to treat their customers well to overturn the negative opinion with time.
Well enterprise customers are a different category altogether but as for retail customers WD doesn't seem to dominate market outside of a minority(that too mostly in US where its after sales support is much better than segate).

*cmrindia.com/seagate-leads-the-consumer-external-hdd-market-in-q2-2020-cmr/

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Well enterprise customers are a different category altogether but as for retail customers WD doesn't seem to dominate market outside of a minority(that too mostly in US where its after sales support is much better than segate).

*cmrindia.com/seagate-leads-the-consumer-external-hdd-market-in-q2-2020-cmr/
Yes and you'll see most of the bad rap on seagate is limited to tech people based in the US or Europe.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes and you'll see most of the bad rap on seagate is limited to tech people based in the US or Europe.
Now if only seagate improves the availability of their larger than 4TB capacity barracuda series, strangely surveillance series/skyhawk availability is much better & even its price is similar or even cheaper than barracuda series usually.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
imho, If it comes with 3 year warranty, at least in first year companies should provide a new one.
I will be happy even with WD not selling products completely unsuitable for a typical Indian climate conditions or at least put a warning on product box/description that says something like "suitable only for AC cooled environment".

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I will be happy even with WD not selling products completely unsuitable for a typical Indian climate conditions or at least put a warning on product box/description that says something like "suitable only for AC cooled environment".

i agree. any company should understand climate and general working conditions in any country before selling any product that may get affected due to these and should not sell anything like that or mention it clearly like you said. my reply is only related to warranty part of any company.

Top Bottom