Password security on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

sattumail

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I am using win XP and have a LAN . I want to know if there is a way to make sure that if someone tries to access my shared drive he is prompted with a password , to avoid unauthorised access. If there is a free s/w , thats fine too .
Thks

47shailesh

Security Exp
  1. Right-click the folder or drive you want to share. In Windows XP, select Sharing and Security... . In Windows 2000, select Sharing... .
  2. Select Share this folder.
  3. In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.
  4. If you would like to grant access to particular groups or individuals, click the Permissions button to add the appropriate group or usernames.
  5. If you are using NTFS, check the permissions in the Security tab to ensure that they are properly set to allow people access to the share. Because Security settings override Share permissions, it is possible for people on the Permissions list to be denied access to the share because they either are not specified or are denied specifically in the Security list. Note: FAT32 does not provide the same level of security as NTFS. You will not see the Security tab if you are using FAT32.
  6. Click OK. :)

Last edited:
use firewall. jetico or zone alarm. set rules in it. its simple and easy to avoid to access other users in ur system or network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom