P5GC-MX mobo problem with modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj_alukkas

Right off the assembly line
Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded from my Intel 915GVWB mobo to an Asus P5GC-MX board... My processor is the same P4 H.T. 3.0 Ghz 800FSB one which I used in the 915 board... My upgradation was fine and board runs perfectly without overheating or hanging or any other problems... I also transfered my 1 year old Agere PCI-SV92PP 56k internal dial-up modem from my old board to the new one... The modem dials without problems but after some time it disconnects and says that the remote computer did not respond... It didn't even connect a single time... So I tried changing the modem with my friend's modem which is of the same make and model except that it was purchased recently...Also when i query the modem from xp, it returns positive results... no conflicts and problems..
So i thought it would be my telephone line complaint... but i tried reconecting back my old 915 board today and it connected without absolutely any problems... Now writing through it... Anyone help me please...
My old system had 512Mb 400MHz Dual channel DDR 1 Ram and the new one has 2Gb 667MHz Dual channel DDR2 Ram.. I checked every driver details and it says no conflicts... My modem is even able to make telephone calls from my new motherboard but not able to connect the internet... I even tried reinstalling a fresh XP in a seperate drive apart from the one i had installed after the upgrade and i installed only the chipset and modem drivers... still the same scenario... Any Hope anyone?? My last try is for a modem driver upgrade otherwise a new modem... but the new ones available now is the same as mine .. Anybody have any idea of what is happening?? Could it be a PCI slot problem? Will the second slot work fine? or any memory or IRQ assignment problem in the BIOS? anyone help please...

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
some times hardwares are like that,i hav a sound hard which makes my old compu hang wen playing video,but works fine in other computers.Der wer no confict or anything but nothing can be done

Djn

Broken In
I have P5GC MX too. Can you check your Bios version. Is it 0108?
What Cpu are you using with it?

OP
jj_alukkas

jj_alukkas

Thanks for your replies... I can't figure out my BIOS version now as I will have to unplug the old board again and plug the new board in and do the same back to connect to internet... My CPu is P4 H.T 3.0GHz 800FSB processor with sspec no 530J ..... And Djn have you had any probs like this and how is the board in your use?... I find a huge rise in performance in using Asus boards after shifting from Intel ones...No other hardware including my processor shows any trouble on this board... I even overclocked the cpu to 3.3Ghz and ran games at hi settings.. no problem.. Will my mobo be having any manufacturing problem due to which this is occuring? Will i be able to solve it if i replace my modem with a differnent brand?? Thanks in advance..

I will figure out my bios version later today and post...

Last edited:

Djn

Broken In
When you switch on the bios version is displayed, or just hit delete to get into the bios. This particular asus model has problems, google the net to find them. Some don't even support 2GB ram.
The bios version 0108 does not appear on the Asus site!!

OP
jj_alukkas

jj_alukkas

I know about getting into the Bios and all cos I do overclocking there and configure hardware settings within... Its no problem,... but interchanging boards frequently is a boring task,... Ya I agree with you that all mobo's have their own problems.. This will have its own for sure... And regarding ram I have luck as I have 2GB 667MHz DDR2 dual channel ram on this mobo without any problems maybe cos of my newer BIos version... Anyway did you have to face any problems with this board? Are you satisfactory with its performance? thanks in advance..

Djn

Broken In
It's quite possible that a different bios version may have a bug in the lan. When 0108 does not support 2gb, it only shows that Asus quality control is zero.
Why not use a lan card and see if it works?

Last edited:
OP
jj_alukkas

jj_alukkas

Thanks for your reply... Well to say, I solved the problem myself... It was due to the interference from the graphics card... Now line tone is clear and connects at full speed... I unplugged the card from the first slot and installed it in the second... It works as fine as before.. And abt using a lan card, my modem is a dialup one.. not broadband... so no use of it.. And bios supports 2 GB ram without any problem... I have the BIOS version 0108 ... I checked just now.. It only doesnt support RAMS with over 667MHz speed.. thats all.. I use 2x1Gb 667MHz Transcend modules... had no probs.. System has blazing speed with 2Gb!!
Also Asus is a power performer compared to Intel Boards... I have used Intel boards for over 3 years... It stinks!! And now my processor runs at a lower temperature than before...
Once I got a big problem with my Intel board and so mailed Intel... I got a stupid computer generated reply with an archive of all posssible reasons... It really stinks... I also mailed Asus about this problem now.. I got a manual reply the next day.. Even though it didnt help, I was happy that I got a reply...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom