Overclocking with Gigabyte EasyTune

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys.
As far as I non K Haswell Processors are locked and can't be overclocked. But I downloaded the Gigabyte EasyTune software out of curiosity and am surprised to find that it is allowing me to modify core voltage, core multiplier etc. Any idea what's happening? My Proc+MoBo is i5 4670 and Gigabyte B85M D3H. Full config in siggy
Attaching a Screenshot

*i.imgur.com/cEuYZUo.jpg

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i dont know, even my intel dh77eb mobo comes with an option to change the cpu multiplier. i haven't played with it. what i heard is that it can only be used to down clock the cpu frequency and not to up clock it!. another confirmation i got is that if i had i5 3570k/3770k, i can actually overclock with this board but not with sandybridge cpus like 2500k/2600k, also it is not possible to set vcore either on my mobo.

OP
nomad47

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
I fiddled with it a little. All I was able to do was increase the limit if the multiplier as shown by CPUZ. Previously it was showing (8-38) and when I increased all cores to 39 it is showing (8-39). This overclocking business is entirely new to me so I have no idea what is the affect

- - - Updated - - -

OK here comes the wierdest part. I set all core multiplier to 39 and ran a passmark performance test. The CPU score came as 7430. Then I set all to 38 and ran it again. This time it came as 7647.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I fiddled with it a little. All I was able to do was increase the limit if the multiplier as shown by CPUZ. Previously it was showing (8-38) and when I increased all cores to 39 it is showing (8-39). This overclocking business is entirely new to me so I have no idea what is the affect

- - - Updated - - -

OK here comes the wierdest part. I set all core multiplier to 39 and ran a passmark performance test. The CPU score came as 7430. Then I set all to 38 and ran it again. This time it came as 7647.

check the frequency using realtemp while benchmarking.

OP
nomad47

nomad47

Cyborg Agent
i dont know, even my intel dh77eb mobo comes with an option to change the cpu multiplier. i haven't played with it. what i heard is that it can only be used to down clock the cpu frequency and not to up clock it!. another confirmation i got is that if i had i5 3570k/3770k, i can actually overclock with this board but not with sandybridge cpus like 2500k/2600k, also it is not possible to set vcore either on my mobo.

Ah you are correct. Increasing the core multipliers does not affect the maximum frequency. Achieved 3.791 which is less than the turbo frequency. But decresing the multipliers underclocks it. :evil:

Top Bottom