OS Choice menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

indrajit

Journeyman
Hi. I'm new to Linux and am unaware about most of the technicalities of this OS. Recently I installed Red Hat 9 on my PC. My existing OS is Win XP Pro. After successful completion of the installation when I rebooted the machine, this is what I found in the OS choice menu:

Red Hat Linux (2.4.20- 8smp)
Red Hat Linux-up ( 2.4.20-8 )
DOS

I've no clue where that second Linux option came up from. And then, after a few days, on booting I found the PC wont start. All I got was a black DOS screen with "grub>" as prompt. Being unable to boot, I deleted the Linux partition using XP boot CD.
Yesterday, once again I tried to install Linux, and yet again as before found the same OS choice menu after installation.

I’ve installed Linux using the same CD on my friends PC without any problem. Could any body tell me what’s happening here?

firewall

In the zone
Its not a problem. It seems you are using Processor with HT technology. Thats why Redhat has installed SMP kernel along with hte normal one.

Its preferrable foryou to use the SMP kernel one for better performance.

nJoy the power of GNU/LINUX...

:)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
indrajit said:
I've no clue where that second Linux option came up from. And then, after a few days, on booting I found the PC wont start. All I got was a black DOS screen with "grub>" as prompt. Being unable to boot, I deleted the Linux partition using XO boot CD.
Yesterday, once again I tried to install Linux, and yet again as before found the same OS choice menu after installation.

it would not happen all of a sudden. Did you format/delete the ext3 partition unknowingly from windows ? before the grub> prompt started coming?

hafees

In the zone
yes it is bcoz of the HT technology.

which processor u're using?? pls specify ur system config.

OP
I

indrajit

Journeyman
@GNUrag: No I didn't do that. I deleted the partition using XP boot CD only after I got the grub> prompt.

@hafees: Yes, my processor is indeed HT enabled. Here is my configuration.

Intel 865 GBF mobo
P4 2.8 GHz processor with HT.
256 MB DDR SDRAM (400 MHz)

@firewall: Could you expand and explain a bit more on that SMP kernal part? I told you, I'm not that versed in Linux!
:!:

firewall

In the zone
indrajit said:
@firewall: Could you expand and explain a bit more on that SMP kernal part? I told you, I'm not that versed in Linux![/color] :!:

The best way to learn GNU/LINUX are to follow the Howtos and be in some dedicated GNU/LINUX Forum.

Here is the doc. on SMP :
*linuxjunkies.org/html/smp-howto.html

----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom