Opportunity to get a free NAS and review it

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Hey there might be some sponsored activity we can do. Basically you will be getting a NAS, you have to use it, and post an in-depth detailed usage review on the forum.
That is all, we can give out the devices to 10 people.

Will be posting a proper announcement for the activity and selection criteria. Anyone who is interested, just respond with 1-2 lines on why you should be getting the device.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have a lot of media content (mostly family photos, videos), game play recordings, offline steam/EGS/uplay/gog/origin game installer backup, few personal coding projects and backup of FOSS/freeware for offline installation spanning over multiple portable HDDs (which is cumbersome to maintain). I'd like to consolidate all of this in a single NAS for 24*7 access and to make some of it selectively available to family members so that they don't have to depend on cloud storage or WhatsApp for sharing photos and videos.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I do have some experience in NAS, built my own using a rock64, a surveillance drive, some 30mm fans etc.
Took me several months to perfect the design, like temperatures, harddrive malfunctions, docker recovery etc.
Ive explored both FreeNas and Openmediavault but settled on the latter as its debian based and much more support for ARM processors. (Especially ROCK64)
Settled upon a branch of openmediavault maintained by this guy
Also integrated content aggregators via dockers and rclone to backup from my NAS to my UL google drive. Syncthing also syncs my photos to my NAS when I connect to my home wifi.
It was an excellent closed end to end system designed.
Was able to portforward it to outside internet too, because my ISP gave ipv6. It had been operating smoothly for several months in the end, even after I evacuated my flat.. But its all disconnected now as I shifted city very recently. So can I review a NAS ? yes.
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/raspberry-pi-4-devils-curse-from-hell.207836/post-2378551
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/raspberry-pi-4-devils-curse-from-hell.207836/post-2378521

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Been using Emby and Kodi for a while now. As these media servers warrant huge storage spaces, i was able to connect a few hdds with external enclosures - not pretty, but gets the job done. Reviewing this NAS gives a perfect opportunity to test them for media usage and give those poor hdds a proper home.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Wow nice! I was not expecting so many people who can actually do it respond!
Anyone else interested please do post!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Rules and Announcements" subforum? This way it will appear on the top and users who don't check new posts often can also see it.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Earlier had been using my rpi as NAS with OMV, and old HDDs. Now they all are filled. I have approx. 250-500GB/month data requirement. My media is mostly based on my old files(Family photos, videos etc.), I have got about a ton of web series and movies which I store on them. I am also storing all my source codes and pictures, sketches, designs etc. of electrical projects which i make as an hobby. I am thinking of setting up a media server, for my family members, who will use it for streaming TV shows and movies.
I also host torrents. NAS Will be used 24*7. I also have a mini home security cam setup, whose recordings and pictures are to be stored.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Will move it there, or a post may be made by the brand team... this is just the initial check to see if we have enough people to do this

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I've been into the self hosted world for a while, and have been looking to try out a NAS for some time now.

On the flip side, I'm currently outside india, and I don't think I'll be considered.

sygeek

Technomancer
I've a couple of use cases that can be solved with a NAS. I could do a review of those if I get my hands on it.

Top Bottom