Hi All,

I have a PC with a configuration of :
Intel C2D 1.86 GHz,
3GB Corsair XMS2 800 MHz DDR2
MSI Neo P965 mobo
Palit 9800 GT 1GB GPU
320 GB HDD,
550W Cooler master PSU
Currently I am having Windows XP SP2 installed in C: (20GB) and Windows 7 in D: (15GB).
Rest of the drive space is stored/installed with games, music, video converters, MS Office, Adobe PS CS3, and images.
I am not using Win XP anymore and currently I am facing problem with C: and constantly I am getting Out Of Disk Space warning. I am thinking of getting rid of WIN XP from C: and only with Win 7 in D:.
If I will format the C: to get 20 GB free Disk Space will my Win 7 work as most of the registry and other system config file installed in C: only. In there any other way to which I can get rid of Windows XP SP2? Earlier I had installed Win XP SP2 on SP1 and I had never formatted C: earlier for last 4 years. Please help...

Jay

Jon Snow

Right off the assembly line
If your win7 is on a separate drive partition its config and registry cannot be on the C partition , they will be on the win7 partition itself. So yes win7 should work okay.

Were you dual booting with xp and 7 ? In that case after you remove xp you might (not 100% sure about this ) have to repair the boot record which is a simple enough task , you'll just need your win7 disc on hand.

Any softwares installed via xp will not run any more since THEIR registry entries ARE on the C drive so you'll have to re install them.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
A similar thread existed before, read it will tell you what to do :)
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/117767-windows-xp-removal-after-installing-windows-7-a.html

OP
ratzee199

ratzee199

Journeyman
Hi,

I have used the software but not able to run it as NOTHING HAPPENED..also I wanted the answer...whether all the registry entry for games and other softwares that I have installed in Win 7...will they also removed from the system after the uninstallation of Win XP?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Nothing of Windows 7 will be affected. Not the games not the registry not anything. Only thing is boot loader will be deleted if it is in c drive. That can be fixed easily using the fix boot option of Windows Dvd.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
To be on "absolutely" safer side, just delete, three folders on C: drive..

1. Windows
2. Program Files
3. Documents and Settings

Just don't delete any other files, like, ntldr and boot.ini on root drive. And you will be good to go.

Thats because, XP when installed is contained in just 3 of the above folders.
Also make sure, you don't have any important files left in Desktop and My Documents folder, inside, Documents & Settings.

frankeric

Journeyman
Hi All,

I have a PC with a configuration of :
Intel C2D 1.86 GHz,
3GB Corsair XMS2 800 MHz DDR2
MSI Neo P965 mobo
Palit 9800 GT 1GB GPU
320 GB HDD,
550W Cooler master PSU
Currently I am having Windows XP SP2 installed in C: (20GB) and Windows 7 in D: (15GB).
Rest of the drive space is stored/installed with games, music, video converters, MS Office, Adobe PS CS3, and images.
I am not using Win XP anymore and currently I am facing problem with C: and constantly I am getting Out Of Disk Space warning. I am thinking of getting rid of WIN XP from C: and only with Win 7 in D:.
If I will format the C: to get 20 GB free Disk Space will my Win 7 work as most of the registry and other system config file installed in C: only. In there any other way to which I can get rid of Windows XP SP2? Earlier I had installed Win XP SP2 on SP1 and I had never formatted C: earlier for last 4 years. Please help...

Jay

Hi mate you can simply format your c your other os will not effect at all because it has no file on see only those software which are installed on xp will not work anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

boyans

Right off the assembly line
YOU CANNOT JUST DELETE OR FORMAT Windows XP drive.

1. Run Disk Management.
There is a partition/drive marked as active (it will also have attribute "system") - all boot related files are there !

2. If Windows XP is on active you should:

2. a) ensure you have a Windows 7 install/recovery DVD/USB ready.
2. b) mark Windows 7 partition as active.
2. c) reboot using Windows 7 USB/DVD
2. d) run "StartUp Repair" up to 3 times with rebooting after each run until no errors reported.

After that you should be able to boot from HDD to Windows 7.

If Windows 7 partition is active you can safely delete XP partition.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

If I will format the C: to get 20 GB free Disk Space will my Win 7 work as most of the registry and other system config file installed in C: only. In there any other way to which I can get rid of Windows XP SP2?

before formatting do this

1) Check the location of boot.ini & verify it windows 7 boot loader is in C: drive.if not then u r safe.
2) Windows 7 registry path.if u have windows 7 installed in D: then registry is in D: only.so u can format C: without any issues.

Note:all games/apps will be removed after formatting of C:,games/apps installed in other drives will work as it is(provided they were installed in windows 7 environment)

Top Bottom