onlyoffice

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Has anybody tried this ? I tried Libre but didn't like as MS office alternative.

*www.onlyoffice.com/

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
LibreOffice uses Python for creating macros unlike MS Office that uses VB. Something to think about when comparing it to Office.

But then again the bigger issue is that we let DOC files become a standard when we should instead be pushing for open formats such as ODT to be a standard.

That being said, OnlyOffice is fully cross platform and they have dedicated support, so it is a good alternative. But I have not used it myself personally.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Has anybody tried this ? I tried Libre but didn't like as MS office alternative.

*www.onlyoffice.com/
Looks cool, maybe would try it out. Though, in my experience nothing has even come close to Microsoft office, libreoffice is just too clunky, and others lack features, and are in no way a match for a behemoth that Microsoft office is.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
But MS Office comes with a price. I have installed Apache Office for my basic work like updating some documents and all. May be one should try all free alternatives before payig premium for a subscription based services.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Google Docs is also just as good and I find myself using it whenever I need to create or update any documents.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
MS Office started the Doc/PPT/Excel trend in Business world and gain so much popularity. Now they have mastered the pattern which user like in Office.
I gave my brother LibreOffice to use but he didn't like and said it doesn't feel as good as MS Office specially powerpoint

Æsoteric Positron

But MS Office comes with a price. I have installed Apache Office for my basic work like updating some documents and all. May be one should try all free alternatives before payig premium for a subscription based services.
I also haven't payed Microsoft such a hefty price, I use Office Online instead. It has grown awesome in the last 2 years. Highly recommended, it just does not have any advanced and specific features, so it is not for professional use. The only problem with it is that Microsoft will not ever improve it so much that it becomes better than 365, but on the other than you can be sure Microsoft keeps it more appealing than the free alternatives.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Microsoft Office is way ahead in the game of Office suite. I am a big fan of Excel. While I like Google Sheets, I don't think it comes anywhere close to Excel in features and ease of use. Same for MS Word Vs. Google Docs.

That said, I'm more of a power user, at least of MS Excel. However, most people use only the very basic features. I have seen many people use MS Word, and most people don't even format headings as headings, they just make the text bold and increase its font size. Similarly for MS Excel, majority of the users stop at VLOOKUP, that's the pinnacle of spreadsheet functionality for a vast majority of the users. (To be clear, my intent is not to be condescending. I have used MS Excel professionally and gotten good at it. A vast majority of people only use it occasionally and not as the daily driver of their work, hence they never get the opportunity to get good at it).

For most of these users, Libreoffice and Google Docs have sufficient features. However, they are still reluctant to move because of familiarity. None of these softwares feel as smooth and functional as MS Office. They feel a bit clunky and the UI looks outdated. If people got used to the UI, they might find that they don't really miss any features of MS Office, it's just the UI they miss.

So if you're comparing any office suite to MS Office, and find it lacking, just ask yourself if you're missing the features, or you're missing the UI. Chances are, it will be the latter.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
This is not official, but now Office 2007 can be "OFFICIALLY" installed without cracking and license. I downloaded from the website and it didnt asked for any key etc.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
This is not official, but now Office 2007 can be "OFFICIALLY" installed without cracking and license. I downloaded from the website and it didnt asked for any key etc.
Whoa, that's good to know. I'll try it on my old desktop. I personally have an MS365 license (mostly for the 1 TB of storage, more than anything else), but the desktop is shared, so I don't use that license here.

I wish they had done the same with Movie Maker rather than shutting it down. It was such an awesome piece of software. Don't know why they can't just leave it out there.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Whoa, that's good to know. I'll try it on my old desktop. I personally have an MS365 license (mostly for the 1 TB of storage, more than anything else), but the desktop is shared, so I don't use that license here.

I wish they had done the same with Movie Maker rather than shutting it down. It was such an awesome piece of software. Don't know why they can't just leave it out there.

Now the photos app in windows has got some basic movie editing features, so microsoft is planning to make it there Movie maker. However, I agree that they should have not shut it down.

Æsoteric Positron

Can you provide the download link? I can't find it Microsoft Office 2007 | Download Office 2007 | Microsoft Office. I would like to use it for ol' time's sake.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Can you provide the download link? I can't find it Microsoft Office 2007 | Download Office 2007 | Microsoft Office. I would like to use it for ol' time's sake.

Apparently Microsoft has closed the site for it. It did work till October last year. But now you just need to find the package from somewhere. Microsoft's official link does work, but could not be found.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I do most of my work on Google Drive anyways. If I do have to use I either use LibreOffice when I use Linux or MS Office once a bluemoon.

Æsoteric Positron

I am starting to like Softmaker's free office, check it out. I don't think it has more features than libreoffice, but it does have a good UI. It being supported by Manjaro by shipping it alongside libreoffice as an alternative default office suite, is a testimony to its okness....

Top Bottom