Official Windows 11 Thread

ankushv

Journeyman
Using win11 for more than a month on my amd ryzen3 asus Aio pc , 500gb nvme and 20 gb ram and my Avita ryzen5 500gb nvme and 8gb ram . No issues till now . Liking it . My use is web surf and watching video only . Miss the old win10 right click though .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

quicky008

Technomancer
there are many unofficial releases of win 11 where the TPM and secure boot requirements have been removed completely and the folks that did this claim that it now works perfectly on older systems that are incompatible with win 11 .

Is it a good idea to install such TPM-removed win 11 releases on unsupported systems?I am genuinely interested in trying it out on my pc comprising an i5 4th gen thats not officially supported.Can it cause any major problems later on,such as updates on longer being released for unsupported pcs etc?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
there are many unofficial releases of win 11 where the TPM and secure boot requirements have been removed completely and the folks that did this claim that it now works perfectly on older systems that are incompatible with win 11 .

Is it a good idea to install such TPM-removed win 11 releases on unsupported systems?I am genuinely interested in trying it out on my pc comprising an i5 4th gen thats not officially supported.Can it cause any major problems later on,such as updates on longer being released for unsupported pcs etc?

Miss the old win10 right click though .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I would like to share 2 of my experiences with Windows 11.

I do not know about any unofficial releases available on the Net, but what I did is wrapped Windows 11 official install.esd or install.wim in Windows 10 installer and then installer skips all pre-requisite checks. So except bitness of CPU, all appear as soft checks. Both Windows 10 and 11 ISOs were downloaded from Microsoft. Just a little trick to let Windows 10 installer install 11 from its .wim file.

Then I tried Windows 11 (Clean install) on my laptop with unsupported CPU. (Dual boot with existing Windows 10) While it worked well, I noticed significant short battery life. With Windows 10 I get around 4 hours, but with 11 I got just 2 (More or less same load). Net search indicated that this is a problem with Windows 11 but I guess it might have happened due to installing it on unsupported CPU. So, I removed it. Anyway, it was for testing purposes. Personally, I do not prefer updates and I keep it disabled by running my own script that constantly disables update service as a scheduled task be it on 10 or 11. So can't comment if updates might work or not right now.

I would suggest not to use any third-party Windows 11 releases available elsewhere. We don’t know what it contains. Simply create Windows 10 install USB key and replace install.esd or install.wim with that of Windows 11. Effectively you will have to download both 10 & 11’s ISOs from Microsoft.

Also, if you face 4 GB limit of FAT32 then split the WIM file using DISM command or use Rufus with NTFS option.

Some of you might be aware, you can get traditional Taskbar/Start Menu and Context Menu in Windows 11. Credit goes to

OpenShell (free) GitHub - Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu: Classic Shell Reborn.

ExplorerPatcher (free) GitHub - valinet/ExplorerPatcher: This project aims to bring back a productive working environment on Windows 11

However, ExplorerPatcher should work until Microsoft decides to completely take away the older Windows 10 taskbar features or blocks the additional downloads that the app does. As far as ExplorerPatcher is concerned it claims it downloads additional files supporting the classic functionality from Microsoft. I at least verified that after installation full virus scan did not report any malicious code. So it should be safe.

You may also try *www.startallback.com/ however it's a paid app.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
installed Windows 11 today

1663989456235.png

feels a little weird with this new UI and change in location. Will take time to adjust

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Dam'n, Windows 11 22H2 not updating onto my HP laptop!!!
It is showing:--->

1664114850051.png

But my laptop has passed this(PC Health Check):--->

1664115021001.png

After cancelling the update process(manually) I get this:--->
1664115356725.png

Friends,any solution for this issue???

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
As per this link - Redirecting it could be due to some corrupt system files.

Try sfc /scannow

is Windows 11 copying macOS ?? every window has curved borders now. Even the bottom taskbar looks like mac.
Yes, also useless features that macOS has, like increasing steps to do a task, like mac once lacked drag & drop so does Win11 (apparently coming back soon), etc. I have no issues with rounded corners though.

I will be sticking to Win10 for the foreseeable future. This is the best time for linux to become more user friendly. ProtonDB is helping with games. So once gamers start using linux more, more games & apps will get officially support, then even more users will start switching and hopefully OS market will have a much needed competitor for Windows.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Speaking as a full-time Linux user, I think honestly for day-to-day usage, Linux is good enough, including gaming. Though, hardware support is a bit hit or miss (cough Nvidia cough, but it's mostly just making sure the correct driver is installed.) though in some cases devices not supported on older windows work with Linux.

I'd suggest at least trying to work with Linux part-time since that is the first step to making it more mainstream.

Zangetsu

Shutdown Tip

Make a Shortcut of the following exe on your desktop: C:\Windows\System32\SlideToShutDown.exe
You can change the icon too.
Double click whenever you want to shutdown you pc :)

This works on older Windows version too

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Using win11 on VM before making actual switch, so far nothing exciting in there that I would ditch my current win10.

andy_65_in

Padawan
I guess Win 11 22 H2 will take its time to reach all PCs...windows updt assistant etc hasnt helped otherwise?i see a warning where my device will get wi ndows 11 22 H2 update but isnt ready yet..

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Shutdown Tip

Make a Shortcut of the following exe on your desktop: C:\Windows\System32\SlideToShutDown.exe
You can change the icon too.
Double click whenever you want to shutdown you pc :)

This works on older Windows version too
I hit Alt+F4, ENTER on my Win 10 desktop and it shuts down. Saves me clicks. Easy on the fingers when tired too.

Zangetsu

I hit Alt+F4, ENTER on my Win 10 desktop and it shuts down. Saves me clicks. Easy on the fingers when tired too.
Yes, but still not a one step process. You get a pop for shutdown after shortcut key press then you either hit enter or mouse click to shutdown. :D

The above method is just one click and slide :)

Top Bottom