Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

arunks

Hey here is the aks
Hi guys.......

I hv some queries for spica .. Please answer...

1. how to create groups in contacts
2. After installing handcent sms, i m still getting sms in default messaging application also. Means sms are repeated 2 times. How to get rid of it.
3. Is there any benefit of upgrading to indian 2.1. Currently I m on JD1.
4. Which is best keyboard for quick and not lagging typing.
5. Is live wallpapers not supported by 2.1 spica? Its not working on mine. Everytime it crashes.
6. Gallery is very simple on this. Is there any third party app for great looking gallery. I heard some 3d gallery.. How is it and where to get it.
7. I hv constant free memory range 70-80MB. Still i feel phone is slow sometimes. Like many times I dial some no. from call log it dials some other no. I think its behaving slow many times.. Does this happen with anyone else here..?

Please suggest some more cool and interesting useful apps for 2.1 spica. THanks in advance. :)

vulpine

Broken In
No if your firmware has those four files, then you should use them in respective fields as done by you.

Firmware's which are packed into a single PDA file won't have those

I used Pda file only and flashed. It worked!!
I checked firmware after it booted,
csc and phone files were still of 1.5.
So That's a wrong method actually
Flashed again using all the four files now it booted well and now phone and csc are 2.1 as well

I updated my procedure now

May I know how to check boot loader version on my phone ?

BTW what does these csc,phone, bootloader files do..
?
I mean I flashed with out them and still phone was was working.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

1. how to create groups in contacts
not sure but try creating group in google contacts
2. After installing handcent sms, i m still getting sms in default messaging application also. Means sms are repeated 2 times. How to get rid of it.
go to msg settings notification and disable notification
3.Is there any benefit of upgrading to indian 2.1. Currently I m on JD1
I think not, may be indian version gets preloaded apns
4. Which is best keyboard for quick and not lagging typing
Try htc ime I love it!!! It has calibration settings my fav
5. Is live wallpapers not supported by 2.1 spica? Its not working on mine Everytime it crashes.
I'm not lwp fan. Donno much
6. Gallery is very simple on this. Is there any third party app for great looking gallery. I heard some 3d gallery.. How is it and where to get it.
3d gallery looks nice haven't tried though
U can get it frm XDA

7. I hv constant free memory range 70-80MB. Still i feel phone is slow sometime
Is it ram?? Use task killers

HUH!!! Took a sweet haf n hour to type this on my phone

Last edited:

arunks

Hey here is the aks
@vulpine
Thanks mate...

not sure but try creating group in google contacts

yeah i m gonna try in gmail
go to msg settings notification and disable notification
thanks

I think not, may be indian version gets preloaded apns

then there's no benefit.. I think warranty will be back :)

Try htc ime I love it!!! It has calibration settings my fav

where to get it.. I downloaded one 4.17MB apk frm sumwhr but it didn't get installed

I'm not lwp fan. Donno much

It still crashes after trying different solutions suggested on diff sites.

U can get it frm XDA

I tried it yesterday night and its much better than the default gallery.

Is it ram?? Use task killers

yeah its ram.. already 70MB+ is free...how much more ram is needed for smooth phone operations

HUH!!! Took a sweet haf n hour to type this on my phone

thats why i want a fast keyboard app to type as i used to type very fast with my e51 keypad :)

Last edited:

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Ahhh had a bad day yesterday, First I upgraded my friend's Brand new Spica to 2.1 + samdroid mod. Then I did the same with mine, but somehow it ended up in boot loop and I wasn't able to boot it other than Recovery mode.

Tried to flash other firmware, but no use. Fiddled around with debug options in ODIN and 4 firmwares,3 mods and 12 hrs later, my phone is up and running. WHat an ordeal damn !!!!!!!!!!

End result was good though. Phone is much much faster now and battery back up has improved again. Opera mini is rendering pages as if I'm on 3G, super fast rendering now. Overall samdroid mod is definitely a good one.

Live wallpaper is working :))

*img688.imageshack.us/img688/9021/cap201005031328.th.jpg*img9.imageshack.us/img9/4392/cap201005031304.th.jpg*img9.imageshack.us/img9/4392/cap201005031304.th.jpg

Last edited:

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
@Vulpine @Sriharsha You guys have become masters of flashing and modding :).

BTW is it only me?; with what I see; flashing a Samsung phone is more complicated than a HTC one?

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
BTW is it only me?; with what I see; flashing a Samsung phone is more complicated than a HTC one?
I agree compared to the procedures I have been using to flashing my Magic it seems like the Samsung ones require you to know Advanced Calculus and Rocket Science. :| .

vulpine

Broken In
yeah i m gonna try in gmail
Let us know if it works!!

where to get it.. I downloaded one 4.17MB apk frm sumwhr but it didn't get installed
You have 1.5?? if yes then see here if U have 2.1 then get low res version from XDA
EDIT: Install clicker.apk first then HTCime.apk Then goto keyboard settings and select "touch input"

U can get it frm XDA
I tried it yesterday night and its much better than the default gallery.
Is it stable??

yeah its ram.. already 70MB+ is free...how much more ram is needed for smooth phone operations

Now My ram goes as low as 25mb still phone is acceptably smooth
I use advanced task manager to free ram

thats why i want a fast keyboard app to type as i used to type very fast with my e51 keypad :)

That was with android keyboard. not installed HTCime yet.

Ahhh had a bad day yesterday, First I upgraded my friend's Brand new Spica to 2.1 + samdroid mod. Then I did the same with mine, but somehow it ended up in boot loop and I wasn't able to boot it other than Recovery mode.
lol I know how it feels....

Me a master?? I have just joined KG:grin:

I agree compared to the procedures I have been using to flashing my Magic it seems like the Samsung ones require you to know Advanced Calculus and Rocket Science. :| .

True to an extent. The same procedure gives different results at different times.weird.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Guys need some help here
I tagged few mp3s on my PC using media monkey and synced with phone.
Album arts are displayed for all files

*img13.imageshack.us/img13/2535/dsc02004i.jpg

but in 3D cover flow(or wat ever) Album arts of only few albums are displayed!!

*img525.imageshack.us/img525/5991/dsc02005e.jpg

*img97.imageshack.us/img97/1057/dsc02006e.jpg

Any help??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
lol You know what vulpine is Sri Harsha too, that's Sri Harsha and Sri Harsha :))
I'm at ease with flashing and modding thanks to motorokr,5800 and iPod touch. Having said that I'm no master either, I'm just a beginner :), still have to learn a lot.

I still remember your Magic review on android thread, I just thought this is just another smartphone and android is just another OS.
But I was wrong back then:)

Yeah the flashing process is not consistent with Samsung. case point What happened with mine yesterday. On the same PC one Spica ended up with new samdroid mod and other went close to bricking :p

lol thank god( Actually Thank Leshak ;) ) atleast the new rooting methods are easy now.
lol I know how it feels....

Me a master?? I have just joined KG:grin:

True to an extent. The same procedure gives different results at different times.weird.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Guys need some help here
I tagged few mp3s on my PC using media monkey and synced with phone.
Album arts are displayed for all files

*img13.imageshack.us/img13/2535/dsc02004i.jpg

but in 3D cover flow(or wat ever) Album arts of only few albums are displayed!!

*img525.imageshack.us/img525/5991/dsc02005e.jpg

*img97.imageshack.us/img97/1057/dsc02006e.jpg

Any help??
Looks like that is a bug in 2.1. Me and sachit have the same issues with album art. Also in all tracks list, duration is erroneous with a preceding '3'. Like if a song duration is 5:30 it is shown as 35:30.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Just this week, I made five of my friends to switch to Spica :)) they were surprised to see what this 12K phone is capable of when I showed that all those killer apps ;)
the side effects of it, I had to mod all five of them :p

Availability is still an issue though.

Last edited:

vulpine

Broken In
Looks like that is a bug in 2.1. Me and sachit have the same issues with album art. Also in all tracks list, duration is erroneous with a preceding '3'. Like if a song duration is 5:30 it is shown as 35:30.

:duh2:I figured it out!!! finally
had been:pullhair: since after noon over this!!

Compared all the album arts that were showing and those which were n't
All those which appeared are quite heavy files (more than 800x600)
and that struck me

replaced all the albumarts with high resolution ones(>1024x768)
Voila! Now they show up!!!:-D

*img18.imageshack.us/img18/6987/dsc02008oc.jpg

still, couldn't find out optimum resoution!! some times 800x600 files too didn't work and too large files don't support as well

What were samsung engineers smoking when they designed this!

Any way thanks 'em It was quite an experimental monday evening! Bunkd my college too....:grin:

EDIT: BTW times show correct on my device.

shoaib89

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys..

I am going to be buying a new phone in the next couple of days and since I have been quite impressed with the Android platform I have decided to go with this. My budget is 12.5k, maybe 13.5k max and after some research I have zeroed in onto the Spica.

Problem is that I am not able find this phone in Bangalore and most shops say that it is going to be relaunched or something in a couple of weeks. But i definitely cant spend more than 13.5k. I found one store who said he will sell a piece to me at 12.5k but also said there are 'software issues' and he will solve and sell it. What do you guys say? Should I buy from him at 12.5k or wait for relaunch considering that if it gets expensive after relaunch i cant buy it at all. Also what is the general opinion about this phone? Cos 12.5k is a big spend for me... Please let me know soon

Also if anyone knows reliable stores which sell this in Bangalore please let me know locations.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hmmm my opinion would be to wait for the relaunch of the phone and then to buy it with 2.1 preloaded rather than going through the hassle . That is unless you need a phone right now of course.

shoaib89

Thats well and good but if they decide to increase the price due to the popularity then i wont be able to afford it. You think they would do that?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Thats well and good but if they decide to increase the price due to the popularity then i wont be able to afford it. You think they would do that?

Yeah I have the same concern. what if they hike price due to demand??

since there is no change hardware wise, I think getting it now would be a wise choice instead of repenting later.

You can upgrade easily so getting a 1.5 based one is not an issue.

shoaib89

Alright I agree with that...

Ok where do I look for this phone in Bangalore and what is the max i should pay?

ashish_karoo

Broken In
Alright I agree with that...

Ok where do I look for this phone in Bangalore and what is the max i should pay?

I am getting it @11890/- in Bhopal. But it is still 1.5. In the same forum someone has said that he got 2.1 out of the box from alpha(mumbai) . So, what should I do. get it from mumbai or from bhopal. Alpha price he coated was 12400/-.

Top Bottom