Office 2010 Hits RC Stage

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft's productivity suite hits Release Candidate, but it's a private party.

Microsoft Office 2010 this week hit the Release Candidate milestone, signaling that the product is nearly ready for prime time.

Interestingly, unlike the public beta release (which was downloaded over 2 million times), this release candidate is not available for just anyone's consumption.

"Microsoft made a release candidate available to members in the technology adoption program (TAP)," a Microsoft representative told Cnet. "This is one of Microsoft's planned milestones in the engineering process; however (we) do not have plans to make this new code set available broadly."

Microsoft said that it benefited greatly from the wide-range of public testing it had for Windows 7 through its multiple beta and release candidate phases, so it's a little strange that the company isn't adopting the same strategy for its premier productivity suite.

Microsoft Office 2010 is slated for release in June.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/office-2010-release-candidate-beta,9580.html

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't worry, this RC will be soon easily available on Torrents. :p

It's basically Microsoft Office 2007 with better ODF support from what I've heard.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Is the RIBBON removed..I hate that functionality. They really killed Excel with that.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Ribbon has been improved as they say.

But the fact that Microsoft OOXML formats are ISO standards, pisses me off. :/

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Ribbons will be great for a beginner. But MS has to find a sweet spot where they will please both beginners and advanced users. Hope they will fix this thing in next suite. :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
So there was / were never beginners in Excel before the ribbon era. I was once upon a time, learnt it just fine.
:)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I am just telling that it will makes things easy for Newbies. I am not saying that Newbies cannot lean in regular menu interface, though :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It is so difficult..to find things using it. But ya...some new users might find it useful. Also the keyboard short cuts changes vs. Excel 2003. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom