Obtaining a duplicate sim card for concurrent use in multiple phones

quicky008

Technomancer
I have an old tata docomo sim that is of the standard size-its currently installed in a basic(feature)phone.I wish to install the sim in another smartphone but that supports only microsims-this entails cutting the old sim card using a tool like a sim cutter to get the required size.However as this is a really old sim and is registered with many important services (such as adhaar,my bank a/c etc)i dont really wish to modify or alter it in any way,lest doing so should render it unusable.

So my query is there any way i can obtain a new duplicate micro-sim from docomo for the same ph. no as this one and use it in the aforesaid smart phone(all the while still retaining the old sim card in working state)?Afaik service providers only issue duplicate sims on request if the original sim is somehow lost or ends up getting damaged.Can i use two sims registered to the same no on 2 different phones simultaneously?Or will i need to deactivate the older sim first and then only apply for a duplicate sim?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
AFAIK, docomo numbers are getting ported to airtel automatically since their merger. You can get a new sim with same number which has all three form factors (mini/micro/nano) and older one would get deactivated.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I have several docomo sims lying around but none of them have been ported to airtel as of yet.Could you please describe the procedure to obtain a new duplicate sim with the same number?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have several docomo sims lying around but none of them have been ported to airtel as of yet.Could you please describe the procedure to obtain a new duplicate sim with the same number?
Just walk-in to a nearby airtel/docomo store with required documents and photocopies and ask for a replacement mini/micro/nano sim. That is better than getting a nano sim with adapters.

invisiblebond

Journeyman
go to the nearest DoCoMo shop or local retailer shop who got Docomo sim along with your Aadhaar, you will be charged from Rs 25 to Rs 50 per sim

Re Verification

billubakra

Conversation Architect
^^^^
That is how exactly the customers are fooled. Few months back me and my friends had to get micro sims of airtel. There is only one store in the locality, they said rs. 100 charges per sim. We sent a mail to their customer support, as usual crap response. Then marked a mail to the appellate team keeping Gopal Vittal their ceo in loop and voila we were told that there is no cost for the sim and we got them for free.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^thanks a lot everyone for your valuable replies. @billubakra: Can you please let me know the address to which i must send the email to request for a duplicate sim?It'd be really appreciated.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

hotshot05

I luv Digit
What you are asking for is sim card cloning. It is illegal.
Once you get the new sim, the old sim would be deactivated.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

icebags

Technomancer
old simsim gets deactivated when you use new sim. or normally they block the old one before giving you the new one.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
You cannot have two different sims with same number. Having two sims would be like relating single number to two sim numbers and IMEI numbers, which is against the law. You will have to select either one of your handsets (either smartphone or oldphone) to use it.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I have obtained two nano sims recently - one Vodafone and one BSNL. both the sims were regular sims. i went to vodafone store. the person inserted my vodafone sim in a regular phone to send a sim change sms request to some number and then gave me the blank sim (having all nano - micro - regular sim option). the new sim got activated in 4-5 hours and the older one got deactivated.
next i went to bsnl office. there i was required to submit an application asking for a nano sim along with an identity proof. the person there asked for the old sim, broke it and gave me a new sim (having all nano - micro - regular sim option). when i asked how much time it will take, he first said i don't know, laughed and then said sir, its activated just now, you can check. it was immediately activated.
afaik, you are not allowed to have two sims having the same number. as soon as a new sim is activated by the service provider, the older sim is deactivated

Top Bottom