NTFS to FAT32 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Due to some problems in my system I wanted to format the hard disk. But then I realized that it is NTFS System. I had to take precautions while formattting the system and reinstalling everything on it. I tried to convert into FAT32 using Partition Magic 8.05 but it halted because of too many errors and that too even after uncompressing all the files on NTFS Volume.

Now I want to ask can I use this procedure to reinstall Windows XP
1. Boot using Windows 98 Floppy Disk
2. Windows Setup Files(copied from Orginial CD) are on F:(FAT32)
3. Install Windows XP to C:\ by formatting C:\ to NTFS again from there.

Will this method work b'coz i don't want FAT32 but want fresh clean install of Windows XP?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
YES! U can......

First boot using 98 bootable floppy disk and goto the drive, where u hv dumped windows XP setup (Drive letter will be changed from F: to other bcoz 98 will not recognise the ntfs partitions)

Now goto the XP setup folder "i386" and then type "winnt.exe".

It'll start XP setup and then u can select the partition, on which u want to install fresh XP :D

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Works great as visual said. Directly booting with windows xp CD and selecting partition to install and then selecting appropriate option of partition type will me more easy :)

OP
N

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
The method I mentioned does not work b'coz I used Win XP files on HDD and under floppy all setup files got copied to d:(FAT32 - Unbootable Non Active Partition) and my system is still as it is.

I will now use Windows XP bootable CD tommorow and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom