NPD releases list of top money making games in US

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
NPD released a list of games that made the most revenue in US.

RANK / TITLE / PUBLISHER / TOTAL SALES

1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock--Activision--$830.9 million
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops--Activision--$787.4 million
3. Wii Fit--Nintendo--$736.6 million
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2--Activision--$713.6 million
5. Rock Band--MTV Games-- $670.7 million
6. Wii Play--Nintendo
7. Guitar Hero World Tour--Activision
8. Wii Fit Plus--Nintendo
9. Mario Kart Wii--Nintendo
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare--Activision

Activison holds lion's share of whooping 5 games. Next comes Nintendo, But Wii-Fit, Fit plus, Wii play aren't stand alone games.. they were bundled with balance board and the console.

gameranand

Living to Play
Damn Guitar Hero is really that popular??? I don't like that game. I expected some names of big games here but not this but well stats are stats and you can't change that.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Oh didn't saw that. Thats a relief but still confused that US gamers are that lame.:D

Yes they are. I have heard that GH is best selling few months ago from one of my friend there and he used to tell me how much craze that game got there. I was like WTF!!!. :-D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
These things surpass Hollywood.
Neil Patrick Harris said (at Spike VGA awards) that the first weeks sales figures of Black Ops was more than any form of entertainment media being sold in it's first week. It was even greater than AVATAR and The Dark Knight's sales put together, in their first week. :blink:

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah I think its kinda biased because 5 out of 10 are from Activision. Man I recently heard that FIFA 11 was damn popular in USA what about that where is that on the list.

cyborg47

Technomancer
1. Guitar hero iii: Legends of rock--activision--$830.9 million
2. Call of duty: Black ops--activision--$787.4 million
4. Call of duty: Modern warfare 2--activision--$713.6 million
7. Guitar hero world tour--activision
10. Call of duty 4: Modern warfare--activision

oh crap!

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Play all of them. I haven't played any Wii titles (But, I'm sure that they are very good), But played rest of them . All were good games. IMO, Black ops is the least good game in the list.

gameranand

Living to Play
Can't say about others but the top game isn't good for me. I played that and didn't liked that. Personal choices but I seriously think that there should have been bigger names in the list and also FIFA 11 because AFAIK that was GOTY in USA.

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Guitar Hero is a gem. It is the first game in the history to cross 1 billion mark worldwide. And we should remember.. there were only 2 games prior to GH3. And by the time GH3 game out, the series was only 2 years old. And GH1, GH2 were only released for PS2 (though GH2 came out on Xbox 360 later). So, it is not as popular as CoD at the time of GH3 release.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Well if you say so. Will try again when I'll go to my friend's house. May be it was first expression and my first expressions are some some reason are really bad. When I got my Fallout 3 and played it first time didn't liked it and uninstalled after 30 min then I saw some reviews and that it is GOTY so started it again and after 2hrs it was damn good and it took 110 hrs of my life.

Top Bottom