Notch design - Lovers & Haters

Notch Design

• Total voters

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am a simple man. I see Apple things being adopted by brands like Huawei, I start to hate it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I'm not a fan, but would not say I hate it
I hope Apple does not introduce it to this year's SE

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Moving parts are not that great in smartphones

I am a simple man. I see Apple things being adopted by brands like Huawei, I start to hate it.

Huawei got there first... they just did not have the guts to go for the design. Also Apple, was not the first to actually do it.
Huawei had notches years before iPhone X made them cool

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If notch doesnt stop the system from displaying full set of status bar information that I need, like battery status in percentage, etc. Only then Im okay.
In 90 % of cases, this is not true, and notch disables full information.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
This assumption that people copied the notch just to make it look like the iPhone is just ridiculous

The LG V10 had the notch before the iPhone

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
The LG V10 had the notch before the iPhone
It was a separate display which offered additional functionality. LG didn't make a weird cutout so that they can increase stb ratio. Status bar and notification panel never needed any adjustment because of it and it didn't interfere with the main ui.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
still, making it look like the iPhone cannot be the only reason that OEMs are opting for a notch

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
still, making it look like the iPhone cannot be the only reason that OEMs are opting for a notch
Unfortunately It is bro. Nobody wants to miss any extra opportunity to tap into market which is obsessed with latest Apple phones.

Even the upper management of companies like LG or Honor must be using iPhone. Imagine the desire of such management to bring the latest "iPhone like features" into their own brand phones, and the power and persuasion of such people to actually make it happen. Engineers have no choice but to follow what upper management decides. No matter how much we love or hate Apple for starting this trend, but fact of the matter is that they do make a dent for others to follow suit.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Seriously, if the whole market is obsessed with Apple phones, then Apple should be selling a lot more phones
There is a legit reason to have the notch, because its extra screen space that would have otherwise been wasted on just like a bezel or something... that area can be put to use for at least notifications and indicators and such.

Apple was brave enough to go for a notch, but they were not the first to do it.

Till there are quotes from company heads or design chief saying that they put in a notch because they wanted people to associate their device with Apple products, its just hearsay. Like, where is the evidence to substantiate these claims? Feels like conspiracy theories to me.

The quotes we do have say 1) they had considered the notch before Apple, but did not go for it, or 2) there are good engineering reasons why it needs to be there 3) It allows them to use more real estate on the screen 4) it was a practical decision to improve the screen to body ratio.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes, we have seen the notch before iPhone X but why didn't more companies follow it then if they wanted to give that extra screen space earlier. What did change now that suddenly, literally all the companies decided to go for this notch design?
I would say the trend is set by iPhone.

Not that I am against this notch design entirely as all my life I have used small screen on smartphone. I had to avoid bigger screens just cause I couldn't handle a mobile above 6.5" in size. I am currently using Moto G5+ and I fcuking hate that their branding was more important than user's satisfaction. If the mobile phone was in square shape, they would literally design different logos just to put on each side of the smartphone. For me, bigger screen in overall small size is always welcome.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yes there are engineering reasons to put the notch by Apple. Remove the headphone jack. Ez.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
The teardrop notch still looks better than the long rectangular one which is very much of an eyesore.

*cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/cQPCqLfekuGLhcTuyd2dgd-970-80.jpg

Top Bottom