Not able to play any games

Oogway

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I recently brought a new motherboard : Gigabyte G41Combo.

My Pc configuration are :-
Processor - Dual core : 2.0 ghz
Ram - 4 GB ddr3
Hard Disk - 160GB

The problem is whenever I play any games (like Most Wanted) the game starts to slow down and after some time it freezes completely.
Not just that it slows down even while playing some small online flash games too.
With my old motherboard this never happened. This problems started after changing the motherboard.
I even repaired my pc and even installed all the drivers again but still the same.
In the graphics property it shows the graphics as 1024 MB
What shall I do to fix this problem. Please Help

aloodum

Journeyman
@@Oogie: 1. Have you monitered the cpu temps?? The action of slowing down and freezing indicates a thermal throttling.
2. How old is your existing psu? Does it feel very hot just before your system crashes?
3. Check your hard disk..run HD tune/Seatools and check for overall drive health.

Let us know!Cheers!

OP
O

Oogway

My system is 4 year old except the Motherboard and Ram.
And the core temperature is at minimum.
I use seatool and the drive is healthy.

What else can I do?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Your syetem isn't good enough to play any good games.
To play game, sadly, you need to change everything.

aloodum

Journeyman
Your syetem isn't good enough to play any good games.
To play game, sadly, you need to change everything.

Isn't that statement a bit over the top? Change everything?
He mentioned he's having problems playing nfs most wanted, a 2005 era game(2012 edition is yet to come out) and even flash games.His present config is more than enough to atleast offer playable framerates at 1024 X 768 (X4500)..Here pls chek this out : NFS NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED 11 2010 On Intel Graphics G41 Chipset X4500 -

@@Oogway:
Can you post the cpu speed that cpu-z shows when the slow down occurs? Your dual core(E2XXX) series supports EIST. Somehow its kicking in when it should not .Try disabling C1E & EIST feature from BIOS and try again. Also disable the fancy Power saving EPu features in the Bios.

Also, Can you try running your comp on a friends Psu?
If all fails try again with a fresh installation of windows, install the chipset driver first and then the vga.

aloodum

Journeyman
It doesn't mean anything. So I answer in the same as OP posted his problem. :rolleyes:

:)
some analysis at our end also? Afaik the most primitive dual core from intel are the pentium D's which had a min of 2.66Ghz..so that rules it out..next comes the core 2 duo allendale based Pentium Dual core with the E2XXX series, so i assume its the same :)
Thats why is i still support that is machine is more than able to handle a 2005 era game.

But yes it really helps if posters give a more detailed configuration. Cheers!!!

OP
O

Oogway

Well what more config info you guys want and how am I supposed to find that.
some of you guys reply is hard for me to understand. Honestly I dont understand some you guys suggesting methods to me or giving ideas to others who posted there reply.
Can you please tell me what more info you might require about my PC.

Whenever I play games the System Idle Process is between 2-4.
This thing does not happens while I am moving around the menus or creating a profile for me in the game. But as the game starts it starts to slow down and eventually freezes. and even during playing games if I go to the menu it does not slows down and as I resume the game again it works fine say for 1 - 2 minutes and starts to slow down again
Please tell me how can I disable C1E & EIST feature from BIOS . Also disable the fancy Power saving EPu features in the Bios.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ keep pressing del key repeatedly when the computer starts..if you have no password set for Bios you shall now enter the bios screen...you have to move around a bit under the menus and find the settings for C1E and EIST.Disable them.They should be under the CPU menu options or advanced features. If you feel uncomfy ask a friend. Cheers!

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Don't disable C1E.
And talking about more information, I would request you to download CPU-Z and post the screenshot of the CPU, motherboard and memory tab.
And also downlaod realtemp and see the CPU core tempratures by yourself. If it is going above 75C, then it is bad and thermal throttling could be the reason behind your problem.

aloodum

Journeyman
Don't disable C1E.
And talking about more information, I would request you to download CPU-Z and post the screenshot of the CPU, motherboard and memory tab.
And also downlaod realtemp and see the CPU core tempratures by yourself. If it is going above 75C, then it is bad and thermal throttling could be the reason behind your problem.

Read post # 2 & 3: Had asked him the same .He has already said his temps look fine. That why i assume somehow the CPu is scaling back when it should not...
Don't disable C1E. Why?
Its just an enhanced halt step instruction.Our aim is to put that CPU in a "alive" consition for the most part of our diagnosis. C1E and EISt or simply speedstep go hand in hand in lowering cpu consumption-ie give the cpu a break + lower core voltage +lower operating frequency- exactly the things we are looking to avoid right now. :)

Cheers!!!

OP
O

Oogway

Disabling the C1E and EIST did work. The game does not freeze any more :-o, but still the games work very slow:-(.
I played the game more than an hour but nothing happened except the game going very slow. Below are the screen shots suggested by some of you.

Mainboard.JPG Memory.JPG

CPU.JPG

aloodum

Journeyman
^^^Finally !!! I suspect that the EPU or energy saving features of your mobo kicking in...If you have time tonite, please re-install your OS and then install just the bare needed drivers..chipset first-reboot-vga-reboot. DO NOT INSTALL the energy saving software/cpu overcloking or any fancy stuff
Then change your power options in Control panel to Performance just in case.

Make sure in your bios you have disabled the support for any energy saving related feature.

Also,check out at the gigabytes site if you have the latest bios version.I assume gigabyte offers a windows bios update program.With each bios update the board maker irons out various problems like adding cpu support or fixing bugs. So if you have an older bios, update it.

And finally for games be mopre practical in setting display options...just because its old doesnt mean your onboard will do wonders on it...rather chances are that it will perform worse than newer games.Start at the lowest possibe settings and then gradully start tipping the scale. Once you achieve the desired FPS vs quality setting stick to it.

Cheers!!!

OP
O

Oogway

I installed a new OS and installed only Audio and VGA drivers but still the same is happening.
The bios version I have is of Feb.2012 but the one that is available on gigabyte site is of June 2010. (*www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505#bios)
So shall I install it or not.

aloodum

Journeyman
^^ i hope you installed the chipset driver first and then the vga and ausio drivers. How are tha gmes with low settings? 1024 X 768 resolution???

Well it appears that your board is rev 2.0 as there are two other versions v1.3, 1.4
v2.0 has only one bios file of feb 2012 version , so i assume yours is the same and nothing can be done in this regard.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
C1 error reporting is integral feature of CPU and should not be disabled. For more info see Intel website or wikipedia about C1 error reporting feature.

frankeric

Journeyman
Hi there brother there are very much chances that the mother you purchased is faulty in my opinion you should replace your MB because you pay for it and its there duty to give you new boadrd if there new board is faulty go to the shop from where you get your board.

Top Bottom