Not able to install windows 8 and 8.1

srjsrajan

Broken In
I am running win7 on my pc but i wanna use win 8 or 8.1 but whenever i try to install win 8 or 8.1 then it shows me an error like "windows cant be installed to this disk, the selected disk if of gpt disk partition style" while we select drive partition in which we wanna install windows to, i have always used win 8 by installing it from windows 7 (not by booting and formatting) .
I dont wanna lose my data my hdd is of wd 2 tb green . Is there any way to install it? Please help me

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
If you cannot backup your data, you should NOT do any partition operation or OS installation. Things may go wrong in many ways and you might end up losing your data. Stay with your present system until you can find a way to backup your data.

$hadow

Geek in making
Windows 8 is very stable as least for me in comparison to 8.1. I will wait till 9 comes out. No more update to 8.1 at least for me.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I heard that this Update is compulsory for receiving any future updates. So either you will HAVE to update to this Update or go without any updates :-(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that is for win 8.1-->win 8.1 update 1.for those running win 8.0 they will continue to get updates till 12jan 2016.however if one wants to update from win 8 then it will be a two step process:first to win 8.1 & then to 8.1 update 1.

$hadow

Geek in making
^^that is for win 8.1-->win 8.1 update 1.for those running win 8.0 they will continue to get updates till 12jan 2016.however if one wants to update from win 8 then it will be a two step process:first to win 8.1 & then to 8.1 update 1.

Mate question of enquiry If I don't update my windows to 8 so will I be able to update my windows 8.1 at a later stage or have to stuck with 8

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you already have win 8 then you can update to win 8.1(& subsequently to win 8.1 update 1) anytime later but considering the no. of issues faced by people during these huge win 8 updates be prepared to spend a lot of bandwidth(at least 5-6gb) & possibly 1-2 days(or more if slow 256/512kbps connection).

$hadow

Geek in making
if you already have win 8 then you can update to win 8.1(& subsequently to win 8.1 update 1) anytime later but considering the no. of issues faced by people during these huge win 8 updates be prepared to spend a lot of bandwidth(at least 5-6gb) & possibly 1-2 days(or more if slow 256/512kbps connection).

Can I shut down my system during the update.
Gee I am sounding weird but I have to ask these questions :-D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
from what i read win 8.1 download from app store not resuming was one of the main reasons why it took so much time for so many people.maybe MS has fixed it now but no guarantee.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Absolutely it is more comfortable and stable.

i did not find any instability in windows 8.1 as far as my uses are concerned.infact i found it better. ohh, yes in it decreased a small space on task bar with a "start" button(i hate this now). It has done again with update 1 by pinning the task bar with store icon.(it can be removed though.). else everything is fine.

gameranand

Living to Play
I am on WIn 8.1 for a long time and I find it much more comfortable than Win 8. I don't have to remove apps from start screen everytime I install a software or game, looks are better.

OP
S

srjsrajan

Broken In
I am on WIn 8.1 for a long time and I find it much more comfortable than Win 8. I don't have to remove apps from start screen everytime I install a software or game, looks are better.

Did faced any problem of music file thumbnail icons? I like it but its not showing in win 8.1 thats the main reason i am using win 8.

$hadow

Geek in making
i did not find any instability in windows 8.1 as far as my uses are concerned.infact i found it better. ohh, yes in it decreased a small space on task bar with a "start" button(i hate this now). It has done again with update 1 by pinning the task bar with store icon.(it can be removed though.). else everything is fine.
One bug is listed above your post whereas second one stays the music bug and i don't exactly remember there was one bug which my friend mentioned. he reverted back to 8 but now I guess he will re update to check if the bug is fixed or not in 8.1.

Top Bottom