not able to create new folder

syner

Broken In
im not able to create new folder in D: drive,it does not allow me to create new folder in "D" drive,its fine with other drive problem is only with "D" drive...

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. How long have you had this problem? From start of the computer purchase, or after some reinstall, or suddenly?
2. What do you have in D drive?
3. Can you create a folder inside a subfolder of D?
4. What OS are you having (XP home, XP Pro, 7 HB, 7HP, etc)
5. Are you working with Administrator privileges?

Arun

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
21 hidden files under D!!! Overall, looks like infected by a virus.

OP
S

syner

Broken In
1. How long have you had this problem? From start of the computer purchase, or after some reinstall, or suddenly?
2. What do you have in D drive?
3. Can you create a folder inside a subfolder of D?
4. What OS are you having (XP home, XP Pro, 7 HB, 7HP, etc)
5. Are you working with Administrator privileges?

Arun

1. just today
2. my important files i cant format d: drive
3. ya i can create folder inside a subfolder of D: drive
4. xp pro
5. i use administrator account

sakumar79

Technomancer
Your system might be infected... Can you give a list of the hidden files in D drive?
Try
1. Open My Computer and go to Tools menu and choose Folder options - Under view tab, select "Show hidden files and folders", uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
2. If above doesnt work, try running cmd (Start menu->run->cmd) and there go to d: and run "dir /ah /p >dlist.txt"

Arun

OP
S

syner

Broken In
syner,
did u formatted & re-installed XP in C: ???
no i didnt

Your system might be infected... Can you give a list of the hidden files in D drive?
Try
1. Open My Computer and go to Tools menu and choose Folder options - Under view tab, select "Show hidden files and folders", uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
2. If above doesnt work, try running cmd (Start menu->run->cmd) and there go to d: and run "dir /ah /p >dlist.txt"

Arun

o sorry that hidden files are mine,means i have hide it myself they are my files which i have hide myself.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Here are the methods which I would have tried:

1. Try to create folder through command prompt:
Goto Run -> cmd. Enter. Then following command:
Code:
    d:
    md MyFolder

2. Try to make a folder in windows in Safe Mode.

3. Try to make a folder by different administrator account. And after creating a New Administrator Privilege account, if there isn't already.

OP
S

syner

Broken In
Here are the methods which I would have tried:

1. Try to create folder through command prompt:
Goto Run -> cmd. Enter. Then following command:
Code:
    d:
    md MyFolder

2. Try to make a folder in windows in Safe Mode.

3. Try to make a folder by different administrator account. And after creating a New Administrator Privilege account, if there isn't already.

1.yes i can create new folder
2.ya i can create new folder
3.no i cant create new folder

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@syner: u can create a folder in DOS but not in windows.that means some problem with windows explorer..try with 3rd party apps such as FileSee or Total Commander

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@syner: If you CAN make a folder through Command Prompt and Safe Mode, then it's definitely the Virus dude, which is affecting windows explorer, like Zangetsu said.

Try to do a thorough scan with some latest AntiVirus.

Last edited:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Can you create a "New Folder" in other directory and paste it here ..? If no then what error do you get ..??

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Well .. What I meant was pasting the newly created folder to D: .. Anyway .. There are 21 "hidden files" .. I reckon one of them is named "New Folder" and is owned by a different user than his ..
This can be confirmed using :
Start > Run > Cmd {Press Enter}
D: {Press Enter}
dir /ah {Press Enter}
and
dir /as {Press Enter}
or
dir /ash {Press Enter}

Top Bottom