[NOSTALGIA] How long you've been Gaming ?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Feels old to be gamer now ?

- Share your experiences.
- You can tell when you began gaming (Year)
- Do you still carry the passion ?

Began PC gaming in 2004 when my parents bought a PC (Pentium 4, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD). My friend got that 9999 in 1 type TV video game console around the same time, so we used to play in both. Remember playing NFS 2 on PC a lot, split-screen MP was good.

Still a gamer after all these years.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have been playing since the old DOS days with games like Dangerous Dave, Wolfenstein 3D, Bio Menace, etc. I still play when I can but I hardly have time these days. I don't remember the exact year, but I think it was the late 90s. I didn't own a PC then I just used to play on school PCs or my dad's office PCs. Got my first home PC in 2003.

khalil1210

In the zone
I used to game a lot when I was in school 2004 or 2005 I guess don't remember the exact age.

Super Mario bros, Contra, Street fighter were amazing

We bought PS1 and it was crazy. We used play tekken 3, tank, tony hawk pro skaters. I personally liked single player games like agent gecko, crash bandicoot, hercules, pink panther. At that time i didn't knew we can store save files to memory card and load game from there. I played crash bandicoot completely without turning off the Playstation

We used to play Metal slug 2 a lot

Later we got PS2 and there were countless games God hand, God of war, Prince of Persia series, Resident evil 4, Evil dead, Jet li, Genji: Dawn of samurai, Cricket 07, Manhunt, Fifa, Roland Garros tennis, Need for speed

Later in my engineering I bought a laptop without graphics card. I lost interest in games got addicted to anime instead.

I bought pc 3 years back, played a lot of games- Hollow knight, hades, Titanfall 2,sleeping dogs, far cry 3, paladins, tomb raider, gears 4 , gears 5,hitman, batman, GTA 5

As I am getting older I realized sometimes all games are not fun. Its okay to drop games you don't like. Sometimes life stresses out way too much you cant distract with even games. Some times I get stressed out of games and stop playing for months.

I feel like I screwed up my attention span. Apps, sites, phones and pcs we use give us everything in a instant, we expect the same in games also. I don't spend enough time to understand the game, Games take time to get fun, and somehow I am scared to invest time. What if I spent 50 hours of playing a game and didn't like it?

For me, now, games are mostly a escape, so that I could forget everything around me for few hours

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
Bit of Contra in the 90s... then 2007 onwards after buying my first PC in 2006 ... I still game but not that intensely. Back in 2006/2008 .. it was all FPS for 6/8 hours + alcohol + Smokes lol.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I first played computer game when I went to college (2002).
Before college, I did not even see a computer up-close!

First game was NFS3 then Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

Now-a-days just don't get regular time. Can manage only in the weekends that too may be 1hr/day.

But, yes, still continuing.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
First ever game was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs on those large arcade boxes .. can't even remember the year.

Later on 2005 Started with Project IGI on pc and after that till today the joy ride of pc gaming is going on and on. Still manage to play left4dead 2, CSGO - these are on regular basis mostly L4D2. Then comes some single player games .. still did not mange to finish Fallout 4 which I started may be on 2018 .... Need to give it a go. Meanwhile completed all of the RE series games as I'm a big fan of the Re series.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Started with maria, contra , tank wars on a chinese nintendo clone, called samurai. Me and friend spent soo much time on those, maybe years. Then came Pc and aoe, aoe2. Such memories of these old games. I kept on gaming on and off. Single player only for me. Didn't have people to play with and I was trash for online FPS. Earlier days I didn't have a GPU.
Next favourites were GTA series, portal.
Never had a GPU before portal 2. I completed Vice city on a PIII @ 15 FPS ! I really want a remaster.
For the last 2-3 I have jumped back into gaming big time. Played my first RPG with witcher 3, subnautica, lots of indie titles, etc
Today I got breathedge. I love it, helps scratch the subnautica itch.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Feels old to be gamer now ?

- Share your experiences.
- You can tell when you began gaming (Year)
- Do you still carry the passion ?
Can't even remember, I was too small!
- Gaming was harder in every sense. Hard to get your hands on some games, and the games itself were excruciatingly hard. The game that blew up my mind was GTA:SA. It was my first 3D gaming experience with open world and all.
- Yes. I do carry the passion, albeit mobile gaming, the bainless and passionless kind, and video streaming platforms (distraction) have certainly imprinted dark mark on gaming for me.....

Last edited:

vito scalleta

In the zone
Began gaming in 2000(approx.) when I was gifted an Atari 2600 (or its clone, not sure). I faintly remember playing a fishing game on it.

After that console became faulty I had to wait a couple of more years for my cousin to buy an cheap console to play Nintendo games. Played Contra, Snow brothers and Bomberman for hours everyday with my cousin during school holidays. Some of the best days.
Then moved on to PC-> Ps2-> PC->Ps4,PC.

The passion has slowly withered away after joining IT and I can't stand look at a monitor after 10 hours of exhaustive work everyday.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My earliest memory of playing game was mario/contra in video games parlours where we could play with 1 rs coins.
Next I remember playing Dave vividly in our computer classes in school taking turns in groups of 4.
Moving ahead I remember racing and tetris on those hand held gaming devices (*image.ibb.co/kodeXv/Retro_Classic_...s_Game_Console_Riddle_Educational_Toys_51.jpg).

My introduction to PC gaming was with Wolfestein and Carmageddon on my relative's Pentium III PC (yea, that's Win 98 right there).
I also became an addict of EA's Harry potter game and spend my college's 1st year inside hogwarts. (which lead me failing the 1st year).

Next when I had my own Pen 4 PC, I remember trying out different games like Road Rash (damn that Nostalgia), and GTA Liberty City and Vice City. Although I never completed a single GTA game. Also remember playing a lot of Trackmania (free version).

I think then my gaming days went for a toss when I started working from 2009. Until Rocket League ignited my passion of racing again in 2015-2016. It ended when I spent upwards of 1500 hours and loosing out battles due to ping (yes, not my skills mind you :p).

Now I have a plethora of games in my steam library, most of which I haven't completed. But I do use to play from time to time between 2016 to 2019. Then my marriage happened, and I think I haven't played a single game in two years.

I might want to pick up gaming again, but these days I am finding difficulty in finding time from "usual responsibilities" and stuff.

maheshn

Journeyman
My first game was the original Prince of Persia in 1992, on a then already outdated Sharp PC-7100 gifted to my elder brother by my uncle (He was settled in Canada, having a govt job there :) In gorgeous blue and white LCD, CGA emulation. The graphics wasn't anything to see on the blue and white screen, but the gameplay was the greatest!.

Other things remembered from then - Moon Patrol, Pango, the original Test Drive, Grand Prix (both by Accolade), Maniac Mansion, PC versions of Centipede, Pong, Stargate, Sopwith. 1st ever '3d' game was Wolfenstein 3D. Ah the nostalgia and all the time wasted, err enjoyed :)

Top Bottom