Non Traditional Careers

Ronnie012

Earthling
In India, once a child is born his Future his career is already decided by his parents.

For example -

# Mera Beta bara hoke Engineer Banega (My son will become an Engineer when he grows up)
# Meri beti Doctor banegi (My Daughter will become a Doctor)

Also relatives and society plays a good part. For example-

Uncle to father "Don't let your child indulge in his music too much, take away his guitar and ask him to focus in his studies. "

Aunt to mother "Your daughter's exams are approaching, but she seems rather focused on her Computer than her studies"

Neighbour aunt bragging about own daughter to mother "My daughter has completed her MBA from xxx institute and earning in crores. What about your daughter?"

And so on.

The above are generic examples but I feel these examples are more or less applicable to all. Due to such kinds of societal pressures most Indian youths are drawn (mostly pressurized) towards opting for traditional career choices such as Doctors, Engineers, Government jobs, Bankers etc.

Thus currently in India, we have a lot of doctors and engineers and other traditional job holders.

But among those doctors and engineers are those who didn't want to end up as doctors and engineers.

And there are those who couldn't qualify to become doctors and engineers (And thus considered by society as failures.)

Parents and society are somewhat right to an extent as being a doctor or an engineer one generally ends up with a decent (sometimes high)paying jobs.

But are those the only job options available? If one is not able to become a doctor/engineer , is his/her career finished? Would he/she be stuck with joblessness throughout his/her life?Would he/she not be able to make enough money or lead a normal life?

And for those, who are stuck halfway and couldn't even complete their gereric ba/bsc/bcom degrees let alone Btech, MBBS, do they have no hope left? Thankfully no! The answer is no, a big No!

There are a lot of exciting, enticing, entertaining, interesting, economically feasible, alluring career options for people. But people need to be aware of them first. People need to think about those job/careers first. People need to search for them first.

So my thread is dedicated to all who have different interests rather than traditional career options. Some of the none traditional yet exciting career options are listed below -

1. Youtuber - Even if you don't have any advance degrees or basic qualifications but have good communication skills, good acting/storytelling skills, then this career is just for you. Apparently one of the world's topmost Youtuber earns as much as $15 million. One of India's top Youtuber Bhuban Bam earns approximately Rs. 4 - 70 lakhs per month. So if you have the required skills, go for it!

2. RadioJockey - While in initial stage RJs earn less compared to other traditional sectors, in the range of Rs.7000-20000 pm, with few years of experience one can get upto 50-60000 pm. A good voice is all that is needed.

3. Copywriter - If one has good imagination, good English or hindi writtern skills, one can try for job as a copywriter in an advertising agency. No minimum qualification required. Salaries start as low as 5-6000 pm but shoots upto 50-60000 with just a few years of experience. A decent Copywriter earns approx 1.5-2 lakhs per month.

4. Graphic Designer - Graphic designers now a days are a valued lot in advertising, designing and other creative and designing sectors. While no minimum educational qualification is required, one must have a good creative mind, with good "art" skills with knowledge of designing softwares viz. Adobe Photoshop, Coreldraw(minimum) and video editing software. Can earn in the range of 1-2 lakhs per month(once established.)

5. Content Writers - While no basic educational qualification is stipulated, content writers need to have a good grasp of the language of communication(mainly English) and are expected to have good writing skills. While a freshers salary can start anywhere between 7-10k pm, their package can go upto 50-60k pm with 5-6 years experience.

6. Model - If you have a well maintained physique with good height then you can try your hand at this exciting career option. A beginner can expect a salary of Rs. 6-7k per show. Once established though, it can go as high as 2-3 lakhs per advertisement. Moreover if one can make it to the movie industry then the career and earning options are limitless.

More to come.

Members can add other Non Traditional(Different) career options which they think will fit in this thread.

(Note : The career options mentioned above are Hatke or Different and might not come across as possible for many. Also people are not advised to follow the above mentioned career options blindly unless one has a good understanding about the sectors. So think thrice before making the move.)

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
I just want to add some caution to your suggestions:
  • YouTuber – dying out as ad money is drying up and isn't enough to sustain anyone but already established players.
  • RJ – need to have a flair for talking, a good voice and an understanding of music. Isn't for everyone.
  • Copywriter – a very thankless job, and the earning potential you're quoting seems to be specifically for the elite few. Most people wash out at the entry stage or can't get past the mid stage.
  • Graphic designer – terrible choice, and there are waaaay too many unemployed graphic designers today. A definite no-no unless you have mad skills to wow people with your creativity. (Video editing could be really good, again, providing you're good at it).
  • Content writers – pretty decent job, very exciting work, but earning potential isn't as high as you think. Depends a LOT on the vertical, the writer's skills, and the personality of the person.
  • Model – it's not just about a body sculpting and height, it's also looks and the ability to grab attention (charisma?)
Overall, I would say trying to do something "hatke" that you're not exceptional at is a definite no-no. Not all of us are exceptional at something, most of us are just really good at a few things, and pretty average at most, and that's OK.

A rule I like to follow is to think of a career where even not earning money could keep you happy and satisfied, because the work is something you love. That for me is a surefire way of ensuring success in that field.

Whether on not you will get to the very top remains to be seen, and most of us will not make it too far up the pyramid, but that's OK. Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life...

Other "hatke" (non-tech) jobs:
  • Musician
  • Painter
  • Writer (books)
  • Uber Driver
  • Hotel Management and front office
  • Airline crew (free travel is the bonus)

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
I just want to add some caution to your suggestions:
  • YouTuber – dying out as ad money is drying up and isn't enough to sustain anyone but already established players.
  • RJ – need to have a flair for talking, a good voice and an understanding of music. Isn't for everyone.
  • Copywriter – a very thankless job, and the earning potential you're quoting seems to be specifically for the elite few. Most people wash out at the entry stage or can't get past the mid stage.
  • Graphic designer – terrible choice, and there are waaaay too many unemployed graphic designers today. A definite no-no unless you have mad skills to wow people with your creativity. (Video editing could be really good, again, providing you're good at it).
  • Content writers – pretty decent job, very exciting work, but earning potential isn't as high as you think. Depends a LOT on the vertical, the writer's skills, and the personality of the person.
  • Model – it's not just about a body sculpting and height, it's also looks and the ability to grab attention (charisma?)
Overall, I would say trying to do something "hatke" that you're not exceptional at is a definite no-no. Not all of us are exceptional at something, most of us are just really good at a few things, and pretty average at most, and that's OK.

A rule I like to follow is to think of a career where even not earning money could keep you happy and satisfied, because the work is something you love. That for me is a surefire way of ensuring success in that field.

Whether on not you will get to the very top remains to be seen, and most of us will not make it too far up the pyramid, but that's OK. Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life...

Other "hatke" (non-tech) jobs:
  • Musician
  • Painter
  • Writer (books)
  • Uber Driver
  • Hotel Management and front office
  • Airline crew (free travel is the bonus)

Hi Raabo, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. What you stated rings true and I believe members should be cautious while making "Hatke" career choices stated above.

But you might have noted my disclaimer at the bottom!

Anyway, let me start by saying that I was/am a part of the "Hatke" career choices mentioned above. I belong to 3 of the careers given above "Copywriter" "Content Writer" and "Graphic dESIGNER".

I was a copywriter for few years before joining corp comm and indulging in content writing for a year. Both as a copywriter as well as content writer i had to sit with graphic designers to dwell upon ideas and solutions.

A person needn't be excellently brilliant to excel as a Copywriter or a Graphic Desinger. What he/she needs is ability and motivation.

Back when I was in the ad industry (4 years ago) my seniors(both Copy and GDs) with 10-11 years experience(and mostly average in their work) were drawing packages of 1lakh+ per month. So I think for a decent Copywriter earning 1.5-2 lakhs per month in 2017 is not so far off the mark. And even if someone earns 1-1.2 lakhs pm in 2017, i think still it is enough to sustain?

I can go on and on about my experiences both in the "Hatke" sectors and the not so "Hatke" sectors and all I can say is that you can do well in both the sectors provided you are willing to put your hard work and enthusiasm to it. Since I don't have sufficient knowledge about RJs, Youtubers, Musicians, Models so I will not dwell upon them. But bottomline remains the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom