Nokia N900, Xperia X10, Motorola Milestone !

Anirvann

Broken In
Is there any practical use for the iR port included in the N900 or is it just another hardware part included but not used ?

GERMZ

Banned
You can use it to control your television and other applications. The QtiRecco application allows you to do just that. It'll download the appliance remote from the internet and let u control your appliances with the N900 as a remote.

Ethereal

Broken In
I need someway to store my passwords safely on my phone so that even if it gets lost nobody should be able to access them. Any application for that ? Similar to Handy Wallet perhaps ? I used that on my previous Symbian device.

GERMZ

Banned
@Ethereal : As i said in the other thread , you have to use the Password Safe application for this. It creates a blowfish encrypted database which is virtually unhackable :)

Kvishal

In the zone
Looking at the N900 individually , the screen on the device is very good. And you will have no problem with it. But yes if u go from an AMOLED display to this then you will feel a difference. But the versatility of the LCD display and excellent sunlight visibility make me choose the N900 over others...

Hey , Watching HD video on these phones is pointless as their screen resolition is only WVGA so they cannot display HD video. Videos at native resolution look better to me on the N900.

I think he framed it wrong :p He DOES say that he loved the device.

Frankly everyone seems to be suggesting, the entire world that N900 was a good phone a year back when it was launched but now when there are better phones available there is no reason to go for the N900. There have been some better developments in this year since it was launched globally. I kind of wanted a Qwerty Keypad with my phone. I did not like Motorola Milestone and so was kind of stuck on the N900. Plus Maemo is History, It would maybe get some Bug Fixes as an update but not any new features added. so even that is a fact one needs to take into account. Will mostly go for the Galaxy lets see...

Frankly everyone seems to be suggesting, the entire world that N900 was a good phone a year back when it was launched but now when there are better phones available there is no reason to go for the N900. There have been some better developments in this year since it was launched globally. I kind of wanted a Qwerty Keypad with my phone. I did not like Motorola Milestone and so was kind of stuck on the N900. Plus Maemo is History, It would maybe get some Bug Fixes as an update but not any new features added. so even that is a fact one needs to take into account. Will mostly go for the Galaxy lets see...

Maemo is a small village that comes on the way while travelling to MeeGo City

Maemo is a small village that comes on the way while travelling to MeeGo City

^ That

You need to realize that when you buy the N900 , you dont buy just a device , you buy into a world of openness. You can run everything from Android , Ubuntu , Debian ,etc on this device. There is almost nothing that you cannot do with this phone ! I still stand by it...

Kvishal

In the zone
But I also look at my phone as an entertainment device, which means it has to have the best screen display to enjoy occasional movies and regular web surfing on it. When you compare the display of the N900 with some new comers like the Galaxy and the Nexus One. The N900 display looks far too dull. :-(

GERMZ

Banned
It is a personal opinion i guess but the N900 display is NOT dull...

Btw has anyone seen the graphics productivity apps of the device ! Apps which can allow you to do a bit of graphics editing on the device...

Ethereal

Broken In
Of course ! There is ansela which is like a mini photoshop for your smartphone. you can enjoy all sort of editing options including adjusting the color saturation etc.. !

GERMZ

Banned
Woah thx ! I didn't know that Maemo too had such applications ! This is really cool..

I know this would be stretching but is there any pressure based painting app ? That would be ultimate !

Ethereal

Broken In
That would be myPaint :D Complete pressure sensitivity based painting..... it is perfect to exploit that resistive ts with awesome sensitivity.

Anirvann

Broken In
I can vouch for myPaint. It has a pretty good variety in brushes etc... Cool app to have while on the go when you want to kill a few moments or just want to sketch something out.

GERMZ

Banned
Ok ... another question. Can you view RAW Images on the N900 ? I don't think you can coz atleast the default viewer does not support them. Is there any alternate image viewer ?

Ethereal

Broken In
RAWViewer is the application for that :)

There is an application for every productivity related task on the N900 !

Last edited:

Kvishal

In the zone
It is a personal opinion i guess but the N900 display is NOT dull...

Btw has anyone seen the graphics productivity apps of the device ! Apps which can allow you to do a bit of graphics editing on the device...

Nope it is not a personal opinion, Show it to anyone and see all the review that you can online. There is just plenty of information to say and prove this. N900 display could be sharp but it is definitely dull, very dull. And against the New Super Amoled Screens woah ! You just dont wanna talk about it :grin:

Ok One more question to all you N900 owners. is the form of N900 not an issue with you guys ? with so much of Bulk is it easy to carry so much of weight all the time in your pocket. Dont you guys feel it a bit too heavy ?

Last edited:

GERMZ

Banned
No never felt it heavy and this coming from a guy who used to own a razor. The weight is proportional to the abilities of the device. Yeah , it might be a bit heavy but for me it is a non issue as the device's capabilities are way too awesome :D

About the dullness issue, you are comparing two different screen techs. Obviously AMOLED will be better but for an LCD , the N900 display is NOT bad.

Kvishal

In the zone
No never felt it heavy and this coming from a guy who used to own a razor. The weight is proportional to the abilities of the device. Yeah , it might be a bit heavy but for me it is a non issue as the device's capabilities are way too awesome :D

So u r saying this out of your special love for the N900 :lol: that you can bear with that weight also. But genuinely speaking it does feel heavy to carry is what you are saying. Right ?

Top Bottom