No more heroes on itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Apple is very protective of its iTunes store and the pricing model used to distribute music and video. That tight grip over pricing has caused NBC Universal to break ties with Apple.

NBC Universal will not renew its contract with Apple to sell TV shows on iTunes. Popular NBC Universal shows made available on iTunes include "Heroes," “30 Rock” and "The Office." In fact, NBC Universal is currently the number one provider of video downloads on iTunes and accounts for 40 percent of video downloads (roughly 1,500 hours or programming).

NBC Universal's two-year contract ends in December, so content will still be available on iTunes until that time. Apple and NBC Universal could still come to an agreement before the end of the contract, but it appears -- for the moment at least -- that neither side is willing to budge on the matter.

NBC Universal feels that it should receive a larger cut of iTunes downloads and have the ability to package content together. Apple on the other hand has stood its ground with regards to pricing and contends that packaging video content would lead to confusion for buyers and decrease demand.
This isn't the first time that Apple has run into pricing issues with one of its content providers. In July, Universal Media Group decided not to renew its iTunes contract over similar pricing concerns.

oops!! itunes store seems to be loosing ground here

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
They wanted $4.99 per episode. LOL! What a joke! Apple is protecting its customers from the gigantic money-sucking rip-offs.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Apple is protecting its customers from the gigantic money-sucking rip-offs.

What does that makes Apple? Good thing now the shows will be available in non-DRM format (torrent) or WMV format (good for TV then mp4)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
money sucking rip offs ... a company that makes u download and charges for ringtones is saving customers :lol:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Oh that is fine you two, but why the hell are we Indians bothered, its not that everyone in India can access iTunes store. Even those who do can only dload trailers!

Wat I am saying is that Apple should make iTs available in India considering they already have some Indian music.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kumarmohit said:
Oh that is fine you two, but why the hell are we Indians bothered, its not that everyone in India can access iTunes store.

You forgot, There are a few Indian Salesman for Apple in this forum.

Wat I am saying is that Apple should make iTs available in India considering they already have some Indian music.

No way, it will be a total failure. Do u think people will pay $ 1.3 which equals to about Rs 58 for one song when they can buy a full Audio CD for the price of 2 songs from iTunes. Or $2 for one episode of some show which can only play on Computer & not on TV, or a mobile phone.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If they do that, then how hard it is for American users to register as Indian users (select country = India) & pay in Rs :D

If Apple sales one song for Rs 10, then American's can buy 4 songs in $1 by paying in Indian rupees. This is the sole reason many companies don't release software in India in pure Indian price. Windows Vista Home premium costs Rs 10k, but its $250 there in US, U think MS will sale it here for Rs 200 :D

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Maybe Five years back then, it was understandable that Apple ignored India.
I seriously doubt how long can they afford to ignore India now and moreso it a growing market.Sooner or later they will have to come up with new features, tailor made for the indian Market .Now that the dollar is drying up looking for the new markets is the only mantra .

How they mold itself into those markets is the trick.Its time that apple gets back to the drawing board.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
NBC hits back at Apple, claims it didn't want more money

NBC, not content to let Apple have the last word, issued a counter-statement late yesterday clarifying that its departure from iTunes wasn't so much pricing related as, apparently, focused on an unwavering "request for flexibility in wholesale pricing, including the ability to package shows together in ways that could make our content even more attractive for consumers." That and tighter anti-piracy measures on Apple's part, "since it is estimated that the typical iPod contains a significant amount of illegally downloaded material." Right. This has exactly WHAT to do with legitimately selling shows to paying customers, NBC? We think this is the telling quote: "It is clear that Apple's retail pricing strategy for its iTunes service is designed to drive sales of Apple devices, at the expense of those who create the content that make these devices worth buying." Yeah, pretty clear it's still about the money for those guys.

If there's any good news, it's that NBC insists that its content, despite Apple's claims to the contrary, will still be available on iTunes through the end of its contract, which is up in December. In the mean time, you can rest assured that if NBC didn't actually want you to pay more for their shows, at very least they think you're a dirty crook who shouldn't have the privilege anyway.

In order:
Read - NBC and Apple break up
Read - Apple insists, "No, we broke up with NBC."
Read - NBC insists "No, WE broke up with Apple. But not because of money."

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I said:
Do you think Apple wud be idiot enuf not to adapt pricing of Indian music as per Indian market!

gx_saurav said:
If they do that, then how hard it is for American users to register as Indian users (select country = India) & pay in Rs :D

If Apple sales one song for Rs 10, then American's can buy 4 songs in $1 by paying in Indian rupees. This is the sole reason many companies don't release software in India in pure Indian price. Windows Vista Home premium costs Rs 10k, but its $250 there in US, U think MS will sale it here for Rs 200 :D

Yes that may be possible but then why would an American want Indian music?
Don't tell me that music knows no boundries. Why buy a hindi song when you cannot understand Hindi!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kumarmohit said:
Don't tell me that music knows no boundries. Why buy a hindi song when you cannot understand Hindi!
Wait, so U think English, American & europian music won't be available to Indian customers :confused:

If Apple releases iTunes in India with Indian pricing then won't that be for all songs be it Hindi or English. Suppose they release it for Rs 10/song...now, in $1 american can buy 4 songs by paying in Indian Rupess be it American song or Indian song.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
kumar what are u saying ... english songs arent heard by indians or there isnt any hindi listening population in the west :?

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I am saying that they can keep english songs at same price. The people who listent to eng songs are a minority. and they awould easily cough up money.

Similarly the ppl in west who listen to hindi songs are a minority,

and in both cases those who want it, they can pay for it

They always have the option I use. I prefer free music from Jamando

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
kumarmohit said:
I am saying that they can keep english songs at same price. The people who listent to eng songs are a minority. and they would easily cough up money.

Means English songs for Rs 40 & Hindi songs for Rs 10. Gr8....why this kind of discrimination?

Ok u tell me one thing, who do u know who has an iPod but doesn't listen to English songs or his iPod doesn't have 80% English songs

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
english song at same price and hindi songs should be priced differently for indian and US residents ... that will result in what gx pointed out ... ppl will change countries and purchase

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This whole discussion is based on ill-informed opinion.

It is not easy to pose as an Indian to the iTunes Store for an American. For example, to make an iTunes Store account, you need an American credit card associated with a permanent American address. I used my sister's credit card to register and only use the Store for the free stuff.

Similarly, the Indian version would require an Indian credit card coupled with an Indian address. Therefore, it won't be all that easy for a non-Indian to register at the Indian version of the Store. I know a few people still will, but it will be a negligible minority at best.

So it is indeed possible that if, and when, Apple launches the iTunes Store in India, they will have prices that are more in line with Indian rates. It is possible, maybe even probable... but of course, not certain.

Look at this image:

*img339.imageshack.us/img339/3143/12881066016e9c947736osb7.th.jpg
LOL! Idiots!

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Mac genius strikes.Score aryayush 1,all idiots combined 0.(just kidding no offence intended)

Guys this concept is not gonna work in India.Who would like to pay Rs.10 or 20 for a song?Not many.And besides pirated MP3 CD's are rampant in India at rupees 30-50 a piece having almost all latest hindi songs.Original Cd's are not that costly too compared to Rs.20 a song.Maybe a favorite song or two once in a while.

Ah yes I forgot to mention broadband--Tell me who don't like a free lunch.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
If the per song price is around Rs. 20 to Rs. 25, I would love to buy from the iTunes Store. If I can avoid piracy, I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom