1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

No beep no display

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by abhijit_reddevil, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:22 PM.

1. abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil Manchester United

Hello,

I am faced with a peculiar problem with my desktop. Actually when I try to switch it on, there is no display and there is no beep. But I can hear the CPU fan and the graphics card fan running normally. Even I can see the HDD activity lights blinking. My desktop config is 8 years old.

Gigabyte 890-UD3H.
    AMD phenon II X4 955
    8GB DDR3 RAM (I dont remember the frequency), 2 sticks.
    1TB Seagate HDD (changed last year)
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050 1GB graphics card (changed in 2017 after previous graphics card was dead).

Without the display I cannot diagonize.

What could be the problem and solution? I dont want to format the HDD and reinstall windows as I have some data on the HDD (some old photos, documents) which has not been fully backed up yet.

Regards.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator

You can try remote login(if it is not disabled in windows) from another system in same local network.Have you tried connecting monitor to motherboard onboard video output port(not the graphics card output port)?

3. cute.bandar

cute.bandar Member

Did the system beep before, asking to be sure if a system speaker is installed on the motherboard.
    How exactly are HDD light blinking ? Do they respond if the computer is put into shutdown/hibernate ? Like from the power button , or Win+X menu ?
    Are we sure the monitor is working ? When the PC is off, then turn off and on the monitor to see if it shows 'no display' or something.
    Monitor cable, GPU could be issues. Try moving cable to motherboard HDMI/DVI slot. Different cable/port can be tried.
    See if any beeps are present by running without RAM.

4. OP
    OP
    abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil Manchester United

@whitestar_999 , my desktop is at home. There is no LAN so no chance of remote login. LED monitor is connected by HDMI cable to display port. Will try the DVI ports instead and check.

@cute.bandar , the desktop was working fine without any issues. It used to give a single beep before booting.

The HDD light is not continuously lighting, but blinking at regular intervals, say every 3 seconds. It lights up first when switching on the system for the first time. I think the system is booting up but without display I am not able to understand. I cannot shut down the normal way, only way is long pressing the power button. At that time, the HDD light switches on again.

Will first check by using the onboard display or changing to alternate display port. I think the monitor is fine. It says no signal on HDMI and mentions monitor going to sleep after say 10 secs.

5. TheSloth

TheSloth The Slowest One

Beep should have come if RAM was the issue. But still, just to be sure, run pc with single ram stick in each slot once at a time. Also, do this without the GPU. If RAM sticks are working fine then insert GPU and restart

6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Super Moderator

Use ports on both mobo & graphics card one by one.Also hdmi cable is supposed to be connected to hdmi port,why are you using hdmi-displayport adapter.

7. patkim

patkim Active Member

Try with minimal components. No external GPU, no RAM no HDD, if CPU is fine it will give multiple beeps in that case (bcos RAM is missing). Then start troubleshooting from thereon by adding a component at a time.

I do not know how your BIOS is designed but some BIOS's disable onboard graphics if they detect presence of external GPU in PCIe slot. So also try alternating between onboard and external GPU and also when checking onboard, additionally also remove external GPU and try.

Sometimes due to repeated heating and cooling socketed components like add on cards and RAM sticks get somewhat loosened in their own socket and PC misbehaves. Re-seat all components.