I am really confused between Nexus 5 and HTC Desire 826
Need help My fellow digit readers
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
C

chandrabhan ahuja

Peace Out
Mr I have short listed the two phones according to my needs.. so if you could advice between the above two mentioned phones that would be great..
PS- Please read the thread before replying the next time!
Take care!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Mr I have short listed the two phones according to my needs.. so if you could advice between the above two mentioned phones that would be great..
PS- Please read the thread before replying the next time!
Take care!

Since you are refusing to fill the questionnaire, I suppose you are looking for a phone with FHD screen and good camera. If I were you, I'd get LG G2 or Oneplus One instead.

PS: Questionnaire exists so that we can know what your needs are and then suggest accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, rather wait for Zenfone 2.

OP
C

chandrabhan ahuja

Peace Out
Since you are refusing to fill the questionnaire, I suppose you are looking for a phone with FHD screen and good camera. If I were you, I'd get LG G2 or Oneplus One instead.

PS: Questionnaire exists so that we can know what your needs are and then suggest accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, rather wait for Zenfone 2.

Well I did considered the LG G2 too but I am not really a fan of the design they have come up with.. the back power button and volume rockers..

Asus Zenfone 2 no doubt is a serious contender but I am not really sure of the atom series processor.. I mean they have not being that much appreciated as the snapdragons

and one plus one well its a new company in the market I don't wanna take any chances..

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Well I did considered the LG G2 too but I am not really a fan of the design they have come up with.. the back power button and volume rockers..

Asus Zenfone 2 no doubt is a serious contender but I am not really sure of the atom series processor.. I mean they have not being that much appreciated as the snapdragons

and one plus one well its a new company in the market I don't wanna take any chances..

One Plus One is now almost a year old with generally good review all around and also give best VFM. You should consider it if you're o.k with big phones (> 5 inch).

OP
C

chandrabhan ahuja

Peace Out
and here you go...

1. Budget?

2. Display type and size?
above 5 inch LCD preferred

3. Dual sim?
not really a deciding factor..

4. Preferred choice of brand?
HTC well no other company puts serious effort in its mid range phones

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
flash a must, a good front camera for video calling, nothing really specific just should be able to take decent pictures

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G ready

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
heavy internet usage, not just social media sites but also heavy sites such as codemasters and others, and for decent gaming nothing really over the top when it comes to gaming

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
HTC Desire 826 and nexus 5

10. Any other info that you want to share
I am looking at least a 3 years deal in terms of hardware..

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus 5...
if not any problem with limited storage

Nexus got a OTG support so storage is not a issue. I personally have no issue carrying around a 32GB pen drive .. I Mean how much space does it takes.. but as we know no matter how much space you have you will eventually run out of it.. but again 32GB it enough for apps and stuff I suppose.. this decision is so confusing..

chitvan

Journeyman
32 GB is enough for normal use,
But if you are fan of photos/videos then is needs to take backup,

If you are fan of android updates then go for Nexus 5 or You can consider Moto X 2nd gen,
Because only flagships of HTC gets major android updates,

OP
C

chandrabhan ahuja

Peace Out
And Also Many Nexus 5 users have been facing serious issues after updating to lollipop aka bricked.. and Google hasn't acknowledged the problem yet

here give it a read... Some Nexus 7, Nexus 5 Users Report Bricked Device After Lollipop Update | NDTV Gadgets

- - - Updated - - -

32 GB is enough for normal use,
But if you are fan of photos/videos then is needs to take backup,

If you are fan of android updates then go for Nexus 5 or You can consider Moto X 2nd gen,
Because only flagships of HTC gets major android updates,

Well Chitvan I am a photo/video junkie already have more then 3TB of data.. so backing up every now and then .. I can live with it..

- - - Updated - - -

and well when I think of it this way that nexus 5 did came in 2013 I mean it is already 2 years old... I mean putting 25K for a device 2 years old..when you are getting almost a same configuration in a newly launched phone.. this point here really troubles me in making a firm decision..

- - - Updated - - -

and again this time HTC has confirmed that the desire 820 will also be getting the lollipop update.. so this decision makes me believe that HTC will be paying attention to its mid range phones in the future too... which others companies definitely never do

chitvan

Journeyman
You can get Moto X 2nd gen,
It has extra sensors like gyro,barometer, temperature..

I m not sure but as per gsm specification 826 doesn't have those sensors,

I don't think how much those are useful to you,

But i personally love to capture photo sphere with gyro..

the.one

In the zone
and here you go...

1. Budget?

2. Display type and size?
above 5 inch LCD preferred

3. Dual sim?
not really a deciding factor..

4. Preferred choice of brand?
HTC well no other company puts serious effort in its mid range phones

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
flash a must, a good front camera for video calling, nothing really specific just should be able to take decent pictures

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G ready

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
heavy internet usage, not just social media sites but also heavy sites such as codemasters and others, and for decent gaming nothing really over the top when it comes to gaming

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
HTC Desire 826 and nexus 5

10. Any other info that you want to share
I am looking at least a 3 years deal in terms of hardware..

- - - Updated - - -

Nexus got a OTG support so storage is not a issue. I personally have no issue carrying around a 32GB pen drive .. I Mean how much space does it takes.. but as we know no matter how much space you have you will eventually run out of it.. but again 32GB it enough for apps and stuff I suppose.. this decision is so confusing..

not only a pendrive, may need to carry a power bank too. Battery life is not so good (~3hr screen-on time).

Also its soo 32-bit, i personally would not like to put 25-30k now on a 32-bit phone that does not have a great cam too.

Only plus now I can see in it is timely software updates from google, good form-factor & build.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I can confirm the nexus 5 lollipop issues are very true since I own a Nexus 5 and 7(2012 and 2013)
I highly suggest getting the one plus one or HTC Desire 820 over Nexus 5
stock android is now pathetic,Lollipop has ruined my experience and I dont see any way google will improve this

OP
C

chandrabhan ahuja

Peace Out
not only a pendrive, may need to carry a power bank too. Battery life is not so good (~3hr screen-on time).

Also its soo 32-bit, i personally would not like to put 25-30k now on a 32-bit phone that does not have a great cam too.

Only plus now I can see in it is timely software updates from google, good form-factor & build.

Exactly my point and moreover lollipop was made keeping in mind 64 bit architecture..and therefore kinda lags on the nexus 5.. at least with the 826 I am on the safe side for some 2 years as far as hardware is concerned..and moreover only 5.4% users had lollipop as on April 2015 first week..!

- - - Updated - - -

You can get Moto X 2nd gen,
It has extra sensors like gyro,barometer, temperature..

I m not sure but as per gsm specification 826 doesn't have those sensors,

I don't think how much those are useful to you,

But i personally love to capture photo sphere with gyro..

I had a word with the HTC Customer care
they said following sensors are present

Accelerometer
Proximity sensor
Ambient light sensor
Compass sensor
Magnetic sensor

and also double checked on the official website..

It is just missing on a gyroscope as compared to moto X second gen..

Hey does the Moto X has light sensor on board?

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm the nexus 5 lollipop issues are very true since I own a Nexus 5 and 7(2012 and 2013)
stock android is now pathetic,Lollipop has ruined my experience and I dont see any way google will improve this

I am really sad to hear this.. I mean more angry actually.. Google messing with its flagship line-up now.. what's next..? Google playing cheap tricks like the other OEMs and fooling its customers.. I mean the stock android experience was the one this keeping the nexus line-up alive but sadly that too is becoming a lost privilege..

I had a word with my other friends who own a nexus 5 ... most of them are facing the exact same situation.. I hope a updated fix comes fast.. Take care Bro! Peace out

Get HTC Desire 826 for its better camera, SD card slot & Dual SIM support...

Nexus 5 has better performance but the performance of Desire 826 is sufficient for a normal person. Also you have mentioned that you are a video/audio junkie, so Desire 826 is a better device for multimedia requirements

You can take a look at Honor 6 Plus too......... Oneplus One is for those who run behind specs, its a great phone, no doubt

the.one

In the zone

yea atleast with oneplus u're getting a better battery and storage.
Otherwise Desire 820/826, zenfone 2 or the new yet to be announced xiaomi phone should be better choices.

$hadow

Geek in making
For starters got the 5.1 OTA on my N7 2013 yesterday and man now it is buttery smooth and so is my N5 but you have to go extra mile to make it happen.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
For starters got the 5.1 OTA on my N7 2013 yesterday and man now it is buttery smooth and so is my N5 but you have to go extra mile to make it happen.

I got the 5.1 ota on all 3 devices,even factory reset,still slow :(
im never buying an android again,maybe HTC or CM

- - - Updated - - -

@op 64bit shouldnt be a deal breaker,itll take ages for 64-bit to become the norm im speculating 2-3 years atleast
some people even said 6 months but a year has passed from that time and 64bit is still in the cradle
also please dont buy stuff from brands like xiaomi or huawei,after sales is poor and so are manufacturing defect rates
One Plus One is an exception and is very vfm

$hadow

Geek in making
64 bit won't be a decision making point unless you are not planning to use the phone for 3 to 4 years.

the.one

In the zone
2-3 yrs 3-4 yrs etc is all speculation and nothing guaranteed.

The only thing definite is that 32 bit is now older tech. 64 bit hardware is the norm now and in future.

Who knows there may be some app 6 months down that would leverage 64bit hw. And one would not like to be in a position of not being able to use inspite of investing big recently.

Of course I'm not saying 64 bit should be the most imp factor while buying, but it should be there in ur list even if low on priority.

PS: U can go and buy any device irrespective of 32/64 bit, since that was only my opinion & others may also be rite since this is all speculation, and I myself would not consider this rule if I got a good deal with older chipset.

Last edited:
Top Bottom