[News] Indonesia raises volcano alert level to highest

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Fox News said:
Indonesian authorities raised the alert status for one of the country's most active volcanoes to the highest level Sunday after the mountain repeatedly sent hot clouds of gas down its slope following a series of eruptions in recent days.

Mount Sinabung in North Sumatra province unleashed fresh volcanic ash and gravel as high as 16,400 feet and searing gas down its slope up to 1.2 miles, said a government volcanologist, Surono, who like many Indonesians uses one name.

There is no permanent solution to this except, evacuation. Danger prone areas should be marked and prohibited. This, in itself, is a difficult task.

(Source)

EDIT: Indonesian Volcano Keeps Erupting; On Highest Alert|Wall Street Journal|Updated November 25, 2013, 3:04 PM

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
This archipelago of islands are most dangerous as they have the most active volcanoes in the world. We are not in that part of the world.So lucky.
Did you know what happened to the residents of Helena when Mt.Vesuvius erupted some 3000 years ago. They just froze and the whole city got frozen in time until now.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
This archipelago of islands are most dangerous as they have the most active volcanoes in the world. We are not in that part of the world.So lucky.
Did you know what happened to the residents of Helena when Mt.Vesuvius erupted some 3000 years ago. They just froze and the whole city got frozen in time until now.

Not exactly. Their bodies were burned to a crisp. That said, the bread they excavated was still fresh :D

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
what happened 3000 years ago won't happen now.

What drove the dinosaurs to extinction might happen now and in the future to us.There are probes in our solar system to warn of such dangers but we are capable of looking at 10% of the total and existing asteroids or comets. What about the 90%?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
please don't get hyped, its nothing serious. if it were i would have seen a red stack of giant smoke cloud on west. till i dont see that from here, its only regular phenomenon around.
That baby volcano aint gonna cut any deep, in february i have a trip to krakatau islands, the big daddy is sleeping there...

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
please don't get hyped, its nothing serious. if it were i would have seen a red stack of giant smoke cloud on west. till i dont see that from here, its only regular phenomenon around.
That baby volcano aint gonna cut any deep, in february i have a trip to krakatau islands, the big daddy is sleeping there...

For you it is regular phenomenon but I never saw a volcano let alone a active one.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
For you it is regular phenomenon but I never saw a volcano let alone an active one.

actually simbang is near the location of the prehistoric Toba super-eruption, those villagers the news is talking about were already prepared because the active volcano was rumbling for months from dormant to erupting mode. also its near to malay and thailand more to Indonesia java mainland, so all the tech manufacturings should be warned too in case it turns into a super-eruption. I never saw an active one too, active also means dormant, there are over 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia, i certainly am gonna see one from up close :D

Top Bottom