New Workstation PC - Budget 25,000

rembranded

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Office work - Multiple browsers and/tabs open. Casual Gaming (games of the Big Fish games variety), MS Office 2013/2016. Watching HD videos

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around Rs. 25,000. If pushed, I can go up to Rs. 28,000/-

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1/10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: I have a Skyworth 24" LED TV which I will use as a monitor. I would prefer HDMI output on the motherboard to help with this.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor/Display Device

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within the next couple of months. i.e. end of February

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built a few before and I will be building this one too.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. I don't mind buying locally or online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have already viewed quite thoroughly the PC buying guide, but that was last updated in 2015 Q2. I made this post so that I could get a more recent update. I don't need a graphics card or a sound card. I already have a Windows and Office licence, so those costs need not be included. I can't think of anything else now, will update if that changes. Thanks in advance.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Modified forum's 30k rig:

ProcessorIntel i3 41508,000
CPU CoolerStock0
MotherboardGIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PH4,400
MemoryKingston HyperX FuryDDR3 8 GB 1600 MHz4,000
Graphics Cardnone0
Power SupplyAntec VP450P2,500
CabinetAny local cabinet without PSU900
Internal StorageWD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD3,500
Optical DriveNone0
MonitorNone0
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo750
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total24,050

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Hi SaiyanGoku,

First of all, thanks for your reply. I have to apologise, I didn't get a chance to reply to you earlier. I have a few follow-up questions. I hope you don't mind.

At the outset, I'm fine with everything but I have a few alternative thoughts for the processor and mobo.

1) The processor that you have recommended (Intel i3 4150) has onboard graphics but it is quite old (2014). I just want to confirm that this will support the computing capabilities required if I have multiple open tabs in Google Chrome (Yes, I know RAM plays a larger part here, but we still need processing power), having MS Office suite 2016 and a couple of other applications open all at the same time? [For the sake of this question please ignore any constraints placed by the amount of RAM)

2) The mobo that is suggested is a Micro-ATX board without an HDMI port and no PCIe 2.0 slots. Will that not be a problem if and when I upgrade the system in the future? I don't mind a full ATX board. Would you please be able to recommend one (at least with HDMI)?

3) I am also not able to find this exact motherboard model on Amazon.in. I'll have a look at the local shops here too, but just wanted to understand the difference between what you have recommended (GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PH) and what I see here (GIGABYTE H81M-S1)

As always, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
1. You can't get a better processor in this budget. Unless you are transcoding/encoding videos or performing other CPU intensive tasks, i3-4150 should be ok.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-H81M-S2PH (rev. 2.1)

The mobo has both HDMI port and PCIe 2.0 slots.

GIGABYTE- I found some useful information and would like to share with you

Basically, H81M-S1 lacks HDMI and some ports/connectors which H81M-S2PH has.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
31.2k Skylake (Modified)

Processor
Intel Core i3 6100
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H
MemoryG.Skill RipJaws V 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
Power Supply
Antec VP500PC
CabinetZebronics VENT
Internal StorageWD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
Keyboard
Logitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo800
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total31,200

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Thanks SaiyanGoku and bsunilreddy for your responses. I now have a few questions on the Skylake build.

1) The RAM specified is a DDR4 2000+ MHz 288-pin RAM whereas the motherboard and processor only support DDR3 1600MHz 240-pin RAM. Am I misunderstanding something here?

2) I'm also curious where you get your rates from because wherever I checked online they are consistently slightly costlier. Not complaining. Just curious. I admit I am yet to check in local shops though

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks SaiyanGoku and bsunilreddy for your responses. I now have a few questions on the Skylake build.

1) The RAM specified is a DDR4 2000+ MHz 288-pin RAM whereas the motherboard and processor only support DDR3 1600MHz 240-pin RAM. Am I misunderstanding something here?

2) I'm also curious where you get your rates from because wherever I checked online they are consistently slightly costlier. Not complaining. Just curious. I admit I am yet to check in local shops though

1) Where did you get the info about the Motherboard. Here is what is needed:GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-B150M-D3H (rev. 1.0)
2) All prices specified are local prices of CTC, Secunderabad which is like other cities.OK.

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
I'm mistaken about the motherboard details, but here is where I understood the processor incompatibility from here. The RAM specifications here did not seem to match with the CPU Boss guidelines on what the processor supports.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I'm mistaken about the motherboard details, but here is where I understood the processor incompatibility from here. The RAM specifications here did not seem to match with the CPU Boss guidelines on what the processor supports.

Why got to an unreliable site when intel themselves have provided tool for comparison?

ARK | Compare Intel® Products

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
CASE Cooler Master Force 500
Processor Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell
Motherboard MSI B85M-G43
RAM G.Skill Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU MSI AMD R7 240 2GD3 LP
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 SL
HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 500GB
PSU CoolerMaster B-Series 500 Watt

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've put together a mish-mash of all the 3 configs suggested and I'll need your advice on whether this will work properly together and is worthwhile going for.

Config.JPG

I'm sorry for the image. I couldn't figure out how to format the content as a table.

OP
R

rembranded

Broken In
Thanks for that clarification. I've put together a config that I hope works. Please clarify.

Config.JPG

I've chosen the MSI board as I wasn't able to find the Gigabyte board online. This MSI board should work with Skylake processors, including the i3 6100.

Also, I know I said I already have a display, but if I wanted to purchase a separate one of at least 22" size with a HDMI port, which one would you guys recommend? (Bonus for monitors that come with speakers)

Top Bottom