New Win8 Laptop kaa confusion

Dino

Broken In
okay, so i have bought this lenovoZ580, 4GB, i3 3rd gen, nvidia 635 1GB, 1TB. The problem arises with win8 (in-built), and i dont know anything about it..
apart from this mega irritating problem, the sales guy also told me to back up the windows8 and that it would take up 32GB so i should do it on a external hard drive, he also told me to update the windows defender and once i do that my windows will be activated.
what or how or if i should follow this process at all.... help guys!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
sales guy was right about activating windows 8.just run any microsoft product update(like defender) & your win 8 will be activated.as for backup either use windows inbuilt tool or some free image backup software like macrium reflect free or paragon backup free.
Create a system image backup with Windows 8's hidden backup tool | ITworld
How to use Image Backup for Windows 8 | TechRepublic

n3rd

In the zone
Windows 8 bloody sucks. Why would you need a backup? And don't use Windows defender, get Kaspersky. The only thing that ever kept my PC uninfected.

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
i dont understand why i need to backup in the first place, the problem would have been solved if they've just given a DVD and that would be the end of it.
another thing, i have updated both the windows and the defender but under windows activation it doesn't show anything "Key like", it says windows is activated but somehow it makes me feel as if part of the windows is activated and not the whole thing.

Windows 8 doesn't have recovery disc from any manufacturer. It seems to be Microsoft's anti piracy plan ...also the key is not accessible to the user in any pre installed computer

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
i really want to change back to my win7, this is sooo sooo confusing and irritating, everything has to be searched and found so delicately. i will do the back up thing later after i have made partitions and stuff, will that effect the backup or any problem as of such..?

gameranand

Living to Play
i dont understand why i need to backup in the first place, the problem would have been solved if they've just given a DVD and that would be the end of it.
another thing, i have updated both the windows and the defender but under windows activation it doesn't show anything "Key like", it says windows is activated but somehow it makes me feel as if part of the windows is activated and not the whole thing.
Don't worry its fully activated. Do you see the genuine certificate ??
i really want to change back to my win7, this is sooo sooo confusing and irritating, everything has to be searched and found so delicately. i will do the back up thing later after i have made partitions and stuff, will that effect the backup or any problem as of such..?

You'll get used to it. But if you really want to go for win 7 then you have no option other than full OS reinstall. Also win 7 costs a lot and if you go the *ahem* way then you can go.
My suggestion would be to work a bit with win 8. Its natural that when you get a new interface then its difficult to adapt to it but if you give it some time then you will. Don't switch back to win 7. :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Win8 UI = something i use just for searching & app launch (word/excel...)

drag the apps that you'll use regularly to front (drag & drop).

biggest advantage that i've experienced with Win8 on my laptop is the boot up speed, it just takes ~10-15 seconds to boot. and the general/gaming performance. everything is just a bit more smooth.

for in-built backup, you need a external drive, or it wont backup. so, get free edition of backup software
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software if your HDD is Western Digital make
or
Image Backup for Windows 8 - Overview

& create image of C drive.

darkslayer

Broken In
Use Produkey to see the installed Product Key of Windows 8

32bit-
*www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey.zip

64bit-
*www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

OP
D

Dino

Broken In
when i open properties first it says product id not available, then it refreshes and says Windows is activated, view details in windows activation. there it fails to show the current product key . i thought there was only one unique product key, and that too it is not showing........???!!!

powerstarprince

In the zone
for me it shows windows is activated and when i click on it, i can see last 5 letters of product key and date on which it got activated.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no point in knowing product key for pre-installed windows 8.all pre-installed windows 8 laptops/desktops have a unique serial in BIOS which is different from whatever key is shown using software/sticker.even if you know the key you will not be able to use it on any system other than your own & on your own system you will never need the key to activate.

nikufellow

In the zone
okay, so i have bought this lenovoZ580, 4GB, i3 3rd gen, nvidia 635 1GB, 1TB. The problem arises with win8 (in-built), and i dont know anything about it..
apart from this mega irritating problem, the sales guy also told me to back up the windows8 and that it would take up 32GB so i should do it on a external hard drive, he also told me to update the windows defender and once i do that my windows will be activated.
what or how or if i should follow this process at all.... help guys!

can you tell me your lappy's model no. and price ? is it available locally ?

Top Bottom