NEW RAM confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys im planning to add more RAM onto my system. I hv an INTEL ORIGINAL D865 GBF mobo with currently 256 MB DDR(266) SD RAM Hynix installed on it.With WIN XP PRO as my OS and 40 GB HDD.

I am aslo posting the screenshot of my memory taken from CPU-Z for u guys to get a better idea of my memory.

*img451.imageshack.us/img451/8117/cpuzmemory5wg.th.jpg

Well according to my motherboard manual,it can support DDR 400, DDR 333 and DDR 266
Now i want to add 256 MB DDR RAM,so my confusion is tat wich RAM to buy ?? I mean an SD RAM or sum other ?? :? If u guys suggest then i can aslo sell my RAM and get a new one to work in a DUAL CHANNEL MODE But plz help me wat RAM to buy so tat my system is a bit faster..

Cheers n e-peace....

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Dear ashu888ashu888

i suggest you sell your 256 mb 266 ram and go for 2x512 mb transcend DDR 400. It will cost you around 4800 bucks. You can use your mobo in dual channel mode.

Regards...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thanx for ur replies shivaranjan.b, go4saket and shwetanshu but i can at the most stretch my budget to Rs.3500/- :(:(

But if u see my screenshot for the MEMORY (wich i hv posted) then u will find tat the FREQUENCY tab shows 133.0 Mhz does tat mean my RAM is workin at 133.0 MHz :? :? Even thou my RAM is a 266 Mhz one ?? :?

Also plz tell me shud i go for a RD RAM or SD RAM or jus go for a DDR RAM (without any RD or SD stuff) as these RD and SD really eats my head up... ??? :?

And does both the 512 DDR (400) RAM cost me a total of (approx) Rs.4800 or jus a single RAM would cost Rs.4800/- ? :?

Cheers n e-peace.....

go4saket

Hello! I too have the same motherboard and you can easily upgrade your RAM. As you said that you already have 256 MB RAM installed, you will have to buy another 256 MB DDR RAM 266 MHz. Make sure that the frequency of both the RAM matches or else you will start having problems with your system. If you can, better opt for a single 512 MB DDR RAM so avoid any kind of possible conflicts. Incase if you are planning to go for a single 512 MB RAM, better go for a 400 MHz. RAM. This will improve your system performance.

sakumar79

Technomancer
ddram is short for Double Data Rate SDRAMS. It means that effectively, you will get double the memory chip's data throughput (ie, 266 MHz when operating at 133 MHz).

Also, unless you play the more recent games or use graphic-intensive software such as CAD/Photoshop without a graphics card, you can do with 512 MB of RAM (2x256MB RAM). While Transcend gives you great performance, you can also go for Hynix which will be a bit cheaper but perform quite well. DDR400 will be preferable because the price difference is not much. Also, for dual channel mode, your RAM pieces should be identical, so you should preferably dispose off the current piece.

Arun

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Regarding your question related to the frequency of the ram refer the link below:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_RAM

You cannot use RD and SD ram in your Mobo.

Both ram together will cost 4800 max and single 512mb ddr 400 will cost around 2.4k to 2.5 k

Regards...

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey thanx shivaranjan.b :) well thanx for the prices as well, so according to u guys i shud go for 2*512 MB DDR(400 Mhz) SD RAM right !

Thanx again...guys...

Cheers n e-peace

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Check if you have around 4 slots for memory cards in your motherboard. If u do, I would advise you to remove the 256MB RAM & add a 512MB RAM for later upgrades. I wouldn't advise a Hynix card though, as i had one & it got damaged only in about a year. Reply of what ur decision is.
Savvy!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
yrana2002 wrote:
Check if you have around 4 slots for memory cards in your motherboard. If u do, I would advise you to remove the 256MB RAM & add a 512MB RAM for later upgrades. I wouldn't advise a Hynix card though, as i had one & it got damaged only in about a year. Reply of what ur decision is.
Savvy!
Yup buddy,i hv 4 slots for my memory and yes even i think tat i will not buy the HYNIX RAM as i hv been using this RAM for abt 2 years and the performance is aslo not tat gr8..Also tat my Hynix RAM is starting to giv problems too :(
I will go for wat u guys hv suggested i.e either TRANSCEND or KINGSTON... :) nways any other suggestions are really welcome as u guys hv helped me a lot.. :)

shivaranjan.b wrote:
@ashu888ashu888

Yes Exactly.............
Yup thanx a lot buddy :) i think i will buy 2*512 MB DDR(400) SD RAM

Neways any other suggestions are really welcome as u guys hv helped me a lot.. :)

cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom