New R5 3600 build for video editing and gaming

vigneshnm

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I will be using this for video editing and some basic gaming like CS GO. Not looking at gaming above 1080p.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I'm looking at 30-35K for CPU, Mobo and 16 GB RAM. Can extend a bit if it's really required

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: I'd like to say yes but I never overclocked my earlier system. So I'm ok to get a Mobo that doesn't support overclocking if I can save some money

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Don't need to buy, I already have two HDDs and 1 SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, already have one. Dell 21 inch 1080p.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Cabinet, Monitor, PSU (Corsair 450W), Graphics Card (Nvidia 1050Ti)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within 1 week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have, but I'll probably get it done from my usual computer guy.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Live in Mumbai and I'm open to buying it online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I was planning to wait for a few months to upgrade but my Mobo (MSI G43) conked for the 2nd time in 3 weeks and I don't see much point in again repairing it.

I already have an AMD FX 6300 processor and I've been quite happy with it. So I want to continue with AMD and R5 3600 seems to be perfect for my needs. My only concern is that I've read reports that not all B450s are working well, even with a BIOS update.

When it comes to Mobos, I've read that MSI makes the best B450s but I've had a very bad experience with them for After Sales Service. It took them more than 2 months to replace my board....which conked off in less than a year. So I'd prefer recommendations from other vendors. Also, does X470 really justify the premium it commands?

Thanks,
Vignesh

P.S. Any idea how much can I expect for my existing FX 6300 and 2X8GB DDR3 RAMs?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are correct,getting B450 mobo currently is not recommended for ryzen 3xxx processors & don't expect the situation to improve before 1-2 months at least.Cheapest X570 mobo is available for ~15k(primeabgb is launching a good budget gigabyte X570 gaming x mobo for ~14.9k on 20th july) so if you can get that with ryzen 3600 & get corsair vengeance 8gb 3200Mhz*2 for 6700 then it just exceed your budget by 3k.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hmm if that is the case, maybe I'll repair it again and wait out a couple of months. The biggest issue in spending 15k on a mobo is that it will be outdated and unsupported by the time I upgrade again in about 4-5 years.

Is the issue with B450s also faced in the X470s?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same issue with both B450/X470. Btw 9-10k mobos with good VRMs like msi b450 tomahawk(& others) are exceptions & usually one won't find good VRMs for overclocking a processor like 3600 in less than 10-12k budget anyway.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Tbh, the difference b/w 3600 and 3600X is about 3k. If I can find a reasonable motherboard that's about 3k cheaper than a really good one, I'd be happier to invest that in a 3600X and forget about overclocking.

But it's a moot point now till the B450 issues are resolved.

Hmm if that is the case, maybe I'll repair it again and wait out a couple of months. The biggest issue in spending 15k on a mobo is that it will be outdated and unsupported by the time I upgrade again in about 4-5 years.

Is the issue with B450s also faced in the X470s?
Yes, even the X470 ones aren't perfect yet. Better wait for a month, if possible, otherwise X570 is the way. Hoping for same socket for another 4-5 years is too much, but is not a bad deal considering how powerful even R5 3600 is. Just build a whole new build after 4-5 years. You will likely have DDR5 RAM & USB 4 by then, not much point in using current motherboard.

2 months to replace a mobo is really bad, didn't expect it from MSI. Intel took like 2-3 weeks for me when I used their RMA 5 years back.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
All the BIOS issues with new 3000 chip and B450 I am reading are from MSI boards.
MSI still have beta version. While Asus and Gigabyte have stable version (I don't see any mentioning of beta in their site).
Since you're in Mumbai, go to Primeabgb and ask them in person if they can update B450 board to latest BIOS for you. And ask them if there is any issue with the new BIOS. It's been a week, more likely some would have already bought or at least asked to buy B450 and Ryzen 3000.
You have 11k left in your budget for motherboard and B450 is the best you can do. And for your use case that is suffice. If you're still skeptical about it, go for cheapest X570 and 8 GB stick for now and get another 8GB stick later - if you don't have enough money.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
. While Asus and Gigabyte have stable version (I don't see any mentioning of beta in their site).
Since you're in Mumbai, go to Primeabgb and ask them in person if they can update B450 board to latest BIOS for you. And ask them if there is any issue with the new BIOS.

Any specific model of Gigabyte or Asus that you would recommend?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Asus TUF B450 Gaming Plus
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro and Pro Wifi
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

PS: Reviewers mostly suggested MSI B450 boards for it's better VRM design. Personally I would prefer Asus or Gigabyte but when I bought last year I end up buying MSI due to unavailability of the boards I was looking for from Asus and Gigabyte and/or lacking features. Why Asus/Gigabyte? Better after sales, better BIOS esp for PBO. Yeah, having better VRM is good esp if you're overclocking.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
VRMs are not just for overclocking,they help even when processor is under heavy load when running at stock.Nothing from gigabyte/asus comes close to msi under 15k budget for the usual atx/m-atx mobo.
*i.redd.it/7n48gewun0p21.png

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
AMD Offers Free ‘Boot Kit’ for Struggling Ryzen 3000 Owners

I don't suppose anything like this would come to india...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ It's a time consuming thing. If retailer do BIOS update, that's better option.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Primeabgb, mdc, vedant, itdepot all are major online sellers. They will most likely do it for you. But still ask them if you opt that option.

You asked and they said no or said yes but didn't do it when received your order, you can still go for boot kit option.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Cheapest X570 mobo is available for ~15k(primeabgb is launching a good budget gigabyte X570 gaming x mobo for ~14.9k on 20th july) so if you can get that with ryzen 3600 & get corsair vengeance 8gb 3200Mhz*2 for 6700 then it just exceed your budget by 3k.

The price on primeabgb for this is 15.5k. I guess Asus TUF Gaming board at 16.9k is more value for money considering we get 2 USB 3.1 G2 ports and even 1 Type-C port. Not that any of my accessories use G2 right now but I'm sure many would turn up in 4-5 years. Considering it has an HDMI port, I assume Type C is data/ power only and not display. Any idea if it supports the Power Delivery standard for fast charging?

Anyway, I've given my existing mobo to MSI for repair, let's see how long that takes.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Asus finally did something right & launched a good TUF mobo.Go for it if you can't afford to wait. As per Tuf Gaming X570 Plus manual "USB 3.2 Gen 2 / Gen 1 devices can only be used for data storage" so my guess is no display & I also doubt fast charging as it would have been mentioned as a feature.

OP
V

vigneshnm

Broken In
Thanks! I wonder when USB C will become the standard for everything. Right from monitors to graphics cards to TVs to Fire Stick like devices. Now that would be truly living in the future.

One cable to rule them all!

Top Bottom