New Phone suggestion at 12-18k

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
Looking to buy a new phone. My existing phone is a 3-4yr Samsung Wave S8500 (first Bada phone) which had good hardware specs for the price, but Bada OS was OK only. Below are my requirements

1. Budget?
12-18k

2. Display type and size?
Nothing in particular

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Nothing in Particular

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Dont want brands like Micromax, Lava, etc. Also prefer to avoid Samsung as most of their phones now are having same design.

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touch

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Decent camera with autofocus should do. Flash is a plus. Front facing cam not necessary

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android (4.2 or above) or Windows (8 or above).

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G, Wifi and Bluetooth needed. NFC not required.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
Office documents (Word/Excel) viewing; editing preferred but not essential

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Mainly for calls. Little bit of camera and multimedia. Very little net and gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Thought of following options -
(1) Moto G (Downside is mediocre camera and doubt in after sales services),
(2) Sony Xperia C (Downside is no scratch protection and low pixel density),
(3) Asus Fonepad 7 (how hard will phone usage be with 7" size? )
(4) Nokia Lumia 625 or 720 (will the 512 MB ram be an issue?)

12. Any other info that you want to share
Very good battery life is a must. As per GSMArena, my Wave had a talktime of 15 hrs on 2G. Looking for something similar.

Will waiting for the upcoming World Mobile Congress in 10 days be advisable? I am not in great hurry.

Thanks in advance
Arun

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Thanks for the inputs so far...

1. Not interested in Gionee brand.

2. Lenovo P780 specs seem good but the review on GSMArena blog says that the interface is sluggish (see Lenovo P780 review - GSMArena Blog ). The review on NDTV gadgets however does not find this problem (see Lenovo P780 review | NDTV Gadgets ). Could anybody who owns it or has used the phone give their opinion on the same?

3. Moto G would be the first choice for me except for two things - Reports that the camera is mediocre (I want at least as good pics as my Samsung Wave, at least with sufficient light) and worry on after sales service - motorola is not present much in India nowadays, and if I have to send the phone to Flipkart for service, it would be a PITA for me. I would very much prefer to purchase the phone from a brick and mortar store instead of online even if it costlier a little bit.

Thanks again
Arunkumar

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks for the inputs so far...

1. Not interested in Gionee brand.

2. Lenovo P780 specs seem good but the review on GSMArena blog says that the interface is sluggish (see Lenovo P780 review - GSMArena Blog ). The review on NDTV gadgets however does not find this problem (see Lenovo P780 review | NDTV Gadgets ). Could anybody who owns it or has used the phone give their opinion on the same?

3. Moto G would be the first choice for me except for two things - Reports that the camera is mediocre (I want at least as good pics as my Samsung Wave, at least with sufficient light) and worry on after sales service - motorola is not present much in India nowadays, and if I have to send the phone to Flipkart for service, it would be a PITA for me. I would very much prefer to purchase the phone from a brick and mortar store instead of online even if it costlier a little bit.

Thanks again
Arunkumar

check the Moto G review. a few photos of Delhi Auto Expo were clicked. Under 15k, no complain about image quality. And Moto G service will be provided by Redington (offers A.S.S for HTC. maybe Apple too)

EDIT: not thread. the review. my bad.

anky

Youngling
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/181331-moto-g-review.html
this my review for the phone..and i just got it updated to kitkat..official OTA update..you can check camera quality in the review..i have uploaded some pics taken by moto g..

Esoteric Eric

Journeyman
The RAM in 720 is definitely an issue only if you want to game and multitask a lot. The rest all factors get a tick.

1. Screen (check)
2. Camera (Double check. No phone better in this regard)
3. Call Quality (check)
4. Brand and ASS (check)

IMO, if you just want a phone to take calls and message with an occasional click then any phone will do. But if you want a decent camera (especially low light performance) then currently nothing beats a Nokia. The app story might be different though as I don't know if app store has all the office tools you would need so someone with a WP should comment on that

Based on your requirements, the cheapest option should be a 720 but because the 525 is having a bump in RAM so currently that should be the cheapest option. Trust me, camera is not decent in Moto or any other phone in this range if that is what you're after. Nokia puts better image sensors in its hardware and even the 525 without flash takes better low light pictures than the Moto but you should probably be looking something beyond the 525 anyway

Moto G is currently the best purchase after the above in the Android department

Last edited:
I will personally suggest waiting for a month.......... There will be new launches .... You can expect Xperia SP to enter the sub 18k territory !!!
Sony Xperia SP battery life test completes, impressive numbers are inside - GSMArena Blog

You can even try to save few more bucks....
Sony Xperia ZR battery life test breakdown - GSMArena Blog

Sony Xperia ZR vs. Sony Xperia SP - GSMArena.com

toofan

Technomancer
Moto G currently has many bugs and glitches and manufacturing defects. So buying it online is like a coin toss.Keep an eye on the Moto G thread for more information on bugs and manufacturing defects.

But I think these will soon be sorted out. As I am also in line to buy moto G.

Top Bottom