New PC. Rs. 35,000. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)
My uncle needs a new computer so I recommended all the basics like a C2D processor, 1GB of RAM, etc. but I need to give the whole spec list in detail now so I need your guys help (because I suck at this hardware matching stuff).
So, what is the idea configuration I should opt for? Gaming, movies, music, etc. is the only priority. It is going to be a Vista based system.
Thank you! :)

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
A few questions you have to answer..
1. Can you wait till jul25th? Intel is dropping processor prices on Jul22nd and it might take 3 days for it reflect in the market in india.
2. Which city do you live in? If you are in Mumbai .. good for you.
3. Do you already own a UPS/will buy separately/dont want or should it be included in the 35k budget.
4. Can you do with 17" CRT monitor or do you want a widescreen 19" LCD? CRT is better at colour, brightness, contrast, viewing angle, response time and most importantly price. LCD is better at low power consumptions and 19" widescreen is good for hollywood movies. Also most of the games run at decent framerate on 1024*768 at high settings and hence 17" is better. For higher resolution on 19" you will need better graphics card. So it all boils down to whether games are important or movies.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
rakeshishere said:
ROFLMAO @ this thread :D

@aryayush
Is ur account hacked by any chance(Team Digit,Impostor Bla bla...) :D
whats funny if someone is asking for advice on assembled PC for his uncle?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Recommendation 1 : Get Him a Mac Mini. He can run Vista using Boot Camp & he can also run the self proclaimed best OS in the world, Mac OS X.

Recommendation 2 :

Core 2 Duo E6300
2X1 GB Transcend RAM cos I am assuming he won't upgrade anything for quite some time. Just get 2 GB RAM & forget for 2 years.
Intel G965 based motherboard. I haven't been keeping an eye on motherboard market these days, the Intel D965GWH is solid & stable stock motherboard.
nVidia GeForce 8400 or Radeon 2400 HD based graphics card with 256 MB RAM, if he is into lite gaming. If he is into heavy gaming then nVidia 8600GT from XFX
LCD or CRT depending on his choice.
Keyboard, Mouse & Speaker depending on his choice.
Harddisk: 160 GB Seagate SATA 2, or higher as he prefers.

It is a PC, just take him to the computer market & show him some cabinets, keyboard & mouse, speakers etc. Let him see which hardware he is more comfortable with cos PC means thousands of configuration which can be catered to his needs.

@ aditiya

its very amusing to see an Apple salesman asking for a PC configuration.

iamtheone

Journeyman
rakeshishere said:
ROFLMAO @ this thread :D

@aryayush
Is ur account hacked by any chance(Team Digit,Impostor Bla bla...) :D
:D :D
lolz...yea even i was a bit shocked to see this coming frm aryayush

@adithyagenius:we are laughing coz aryayush is asking for advice to buy a vista based system.....

well for 35k u can get a pretty decent pc:

for the proccesor i wud suggest a core2duo e6300@6k
ram-transcend 2*1gb ddr2 67MHz@5k max
HDD-i iwud recommend a hitachi 200gb@arr 3k or something,not sure though
graphic card-get a 7600gt now@6.5k.this way u'll be able to save a lot of money without missing much coz this card can play almost all the games at med-high settings at 1024*768 res and later u can get a dx10 card when the prices comes down
get a nice 19inch LCD frm viewsonic or samsung for arr 11k
rest all is as per ur wish

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Are..whats so funny? It is for his uncle not him and he can't recommend a Mac for everyone na.

Indyan, what are the prices of the individual components that you posted?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Arya Here is the Kolkata Picture...

(As u know pretty much everry thing is now under water :lol: so Prices I am going to post would be 4 / 5 days old...)

E6420 @ 8100 + TAX
ASUS P5B-V @ 7200 + TAX
2GB DDR-II 667MHz @ 3800 + TAX
160 GB SATA-II @ 2050 + TAX
DVD RW @ 1500 + TAX
Cabby + ColorSit 450 SMPS @ 2000 + TAX
17" LG CRT @ 4100 + TAX
UPS Microtek 600VA @ 1600 + TAX
Microsoft Combo Mouse+Keyboard @ 750 + TAX
2.1 Sound System @ 1000 + TAX

Total 33384 incl TAX

I have no Idea about MACs, so u tell me is there any config of MAC would come in 35k in kolkata ???

Also as its ur uncle, so i suppose he wont Over clock :p

so do think what Indyan said for X2 :D

as if u go for AMD u get this in Kolkata...

AMD X2 (AM2) 4200 + @ 4800 + TAX
ASUS M2A-VM (AMD 690G good on board GRFX) @ 4000 + TAX
2GB DDR-II 667MHz @ 3800 + TAX
160 GB SATA-II @ 2050 + TAX
DVD RW @ 1500 + TAX
Cabby + ColorSit 450 SMPS @ 2000 + TAX
17" LG CRT @ 4100 + TAX
UPS Microtek 600VA @ 1600 + TAX
Microsoft Combo Mouse+Keyboard @ 750 + TAX
2.1 Sound System 1000 + TAX

Total 26624 incl TAX

Now you have almost 9 left, so, if your uncle would keep the PC in home where few kids might play games, then add one XFX 8600 GT (256MB) for Rs. 7100 + TAX or as it has 690G (ATI x1250 video), so may be u can buy one 17" LCD for that extra 9k :)

XFX 8600 GT @ 7100

adithyagenius said:
1. Can you wait till jul25th? Intel is dropping processor prices on Jul22nd and it might take 3 days for it reflect in the market in india.

Woah ?? :shock: 3 days ?? whats the source for this info ?? as Last time, it took more than 15days and more than 25 here at Kolkata for that C2D price drop to reflect :lol:

adithyagenius said:
2. Which city do you live in? If you are in Mumbai .. good for you.

He is in Kolkata... and quite honestly if u compare, Kolkata prices are cheaper than Mumbai !!!!

adithyagenius said:
So it all boils down to whether games are important or movies.

That is one he needs to reply :lol:

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
@Choto Cheeta
Actually if one knows the special shops, one can get hardware for cheapest possible rates in any prominent city. I live in Hyderabad and here the shop guys try their luck by quoting high price unlike in lamington road. Regarding the price drop , last time, it affected the prices in certain hot selling shops within 3 days while for others it took almost 1 month to update their prices in hyderabad.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Indyan said:
Choto Cheeta you didnt include a Gfx card in your setup. I think thats essential if you want to run Windows Vista smothly as well as if you want to play games and watch hi def content.

Well, not quite right, from practical experiance, I would say that X3000 GMA is running Vista with easy with GRFX rating of 3.3 and 3.1 for Gaming and Video, same with AMD 690G, little more or less depending how much ram you are sharing.... where as a didicated grfx card, ATI x1600 Pro (256MB) gives 4.4 (more or less depending on the rest of the config) and please take a look at this performance guide of Vista...

Microsoft said:
A computer with a base score of 3.0 is able to run Windows Aero and many new features of Windows Vista at a basic level. Some of the new Windows Vista advanced features might not have all of their functionality available. For example, a machine with a base score of 3.0 can display the Windows Vista theme at a resolution of 1280 × 1024, but might struggle to run the theme on multiple monitors. Or, it can play digital TV content but might struggle to play High Definition Television (HDTV) content.

Now I have played HD movies with x3000 GMA (P5B-V) or 690G (M2A-VM) with a 19" LCD in 1440x900 resolution... didnt give any problem... !!!

Also As I told if the ucle would play so with AMD config keeping in mind, he might get XFX 8600 GT :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
To all those concerned, I would like to remind you all that I haven't gone over the bend and nothing in this world can force me to use Windows on a long term basis. Nothing. So please banish all thoughts about me purchasing a Windows machine. That aint happenin' any time soon.

This PC is for my uncle. I recommend to people what suits them. They need it for gaming and they need it in thirty five thousand. No sense buying a Mac Mini. So a PC it is.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! I'll consult this thread when they call me. Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom