New PC for programming

rounak_jain

Right off the assembly line
Purpose:
I am using Mac OS since the last 10 years and have used Windows for 4 years prior to that. I intend to switch to Linux (mostly Arch and Ubuntu).
I will be mostly using it to write scripts to automate my workflow (daily tasks) and learn to code basic applications involving databases.
I do not intend to use it for games since I own consoles for gaming.
Budget:
That is not an issue. This is to say, I am willing to pay for the best configuration but I don't want to buy a racing car for my 1 km drive from work to home. In other words, I want the best configuration for my needs which does not become obsolete for the next three years.

Kindly guide me and inform me if I should post more info.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Answer this Questionaire 1st: *forum.digit.in/pc-components-confi...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

OP
R

rounak_jain

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not reading the post before posting this thread.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Programming on Ubuntu Or Arch related to databases.
Since, I have not used Linux before, I cannot specify exact names. But I will doing programming related to databases. I spent most of my time scripting to automate my workflow which is general interaction with text. I will use MySQL or PostGreSQL along with an IDE (if required) with which I will build an app (in python mostly but I may select another language). I will be using LibreOffice, VLC (for only viewing movies). A lot of time will be spent on the browser reading new things.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: No limit.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: I won't be gaming. I wouldn't be doing any programming which would have high graphical requirements. However, I want a fast configuration.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Primary HDD can be as less as 100 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No, I have a 42 inch television.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Now.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I can do everything except place the CPU on motherboard for which I wall call an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune. I am open to buying from anywhere.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I frequently do like to try new Operating Systems. I need a cabinet which i can open easily to change hard disks or add/remove RAM, DVD-drive etc. I have never used SSD before. And since I have heard they are fast, I would like to know if I should buy SSD instead of HDD.

Please let me know if must clarify or add any more info

Last edited:

PentiumD

Broken In
Have a look at this. you get cpu+mobo in just 4k

Amazon.in: Buy Gigabyte GA-N3050M-D3P Motherboard Built-in Intel Celeron N3050 (1.6 GHz) Dual-Core Processor Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Rating

this has a processor inbuilt & no fan. Will work great for programming but may not be fast enough for high CPU usage tasks like rendering etc.

very good for net browsing, youtube , watching local videos.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -44.8K (Skylake Programming Rig)

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 2400Mhz -5000,
Seasonic S12II 520w -5500,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,
Corsair SPEC-01 -3500,
Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD -4500,
Logitech MK200 -800.

Total -44,800.

Last edited:
OP
R

rounak_jain

What is the source of the prices you mention?
From what I know, reading you other posts in this forum, you suggest buying from mdcomputers except for PSU.
However, the price you mention for CPU and motherboard are lower than that on mdcomputers.
Also, any thoughts on keyboard which has control keys on both sides (like MK200 but) preferably of equal size and equal distance from the space key?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
What is the source of the prices you mention?
From what I know, reading you other posts in this forum, you suggest buying from mdcomputers except for PSU.
However, the price you mention for CPU and motherboard are lower than that on mdcomputers.
Also, any thoughts on keyboard which has control keys on both sides (like MK200 but) preferably of equal size and equal distance from the space key?
Source of prices are local CTC,Secunderabad prices.
Even mdcomputers have similar prices albiet +or- 200 here and there.
Since you are from Pune, you can buy locally or from lamington road, mumbai.
If you buy locally you will get much better prices than online ones.
Amazon.in is too much over priced by 1k to 1.5k on every component they sell.

rakeshhkuma90

Journeyman
CPU: Intel core i5 6500
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC MATE
RAM: 8GB (8GB x1) 2400MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 103
Storage (SSD): Samsung 120GB 850 EVO
Storage (HDD): 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GT OC
Case: Cooler Master K380
PSU: Cooler Master B2 500Watt

Price: 45K Approx

*Mod Edit: Self promotion content removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

rounak_jain

Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 2400Mhz -5000,
Seasonic S12II 520w -5500,

Corsair SPEC-01 -3500,
Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD -4500,
Booked this config, will collect it on 3 Nov.
Thanks everyone for the help.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
CPU: Intel core i5 6500
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC MATE
RAM: 8GB (8GB x1) 2400MHz G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 103
Storage (SSD): Samsung 120GB 850 EVO
Storage (HDD): 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GT OC
Case: Cooler Master K380
PSU: Cooler Master B2 500Watt

Price: 45K Approx

If you want to buy customize PC online you can contact Ant PC, they will assist customize your whole PC according to you need.

Are you serious? 45k for this config while the GPU alone costs 18k?

Why do you keep recommending cooler master psus?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Mods - I mistakenly clicked on "Like this post" from rakeshhkuma90! I intended to "Dislike this post". How do I dislike the post? After all who can like a post with CM B2 PSU?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Mods - I mistakenly clicked on "Like this post" from rakeshhkuma90! I intended to "Dislike this post". How do I dislike the post? After all who can like a post with CM B2 PSU?
You should be able to remove your LIKE by hitting that button again. No idea about dislike.

Top Bottom